jsnearline

When my wife becomes a US Citizen...

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I filed a report of birth for our son born here in the US. When she becomes a US Citizen, will he retain his Filipino citizenship or would she have to petition for dual citizenship and list him as a derivitive beneficiary?

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

usa does not let u have a dual citizenship

i had to give up my paksitan citizenship to become american

maybe u can with philppines

good luck

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

usa does not let u have a dual citizenship

i had to give up my paksitan citizenship to become american

Not true. US law does not require a person to choose one citizenship over another. You may have been wrongly advised.

Dual Nationality http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

hey i can not have dual citizenship of pakistan and usa

bcz usa wanted me to give up the citizenship of pakistan

may be the law is changed now

i did not mean to mis guide anyone

i am sorry

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Timeline

When you naturalize, you give up your claim to citizenship to your former country, so abby n sheryl is correct on that point. However, some countries, like the Philippines, allow you to petition to retain citizenship there after becoming a US citizen.

The situation I describe in my original post is different. My son is a natural born citizen of the US (because he was born here) and of the Philippines (because his mother was a Filipino at the time of his birth). My assumption is that his mother's decision to become a US citizen does not affect his dual citizen status, but I was seeking clarification because he is a child.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

you see how i know

bcz every time i need to go back to pakistan i need to apply for tourist visa in washington first then leave usa

abby n sheryl

you see how i know

bcz every time i need to go back to pakistan i need to apply for tourist visa in washington first then leave usa

abby n sheryl

It was Pakistan and not USA that did not allow dual citizenship. Pakistani law required you to renounce your Pakistani citizenship when you naturalized. But that was before and they have changed the law. You may want to contact the Pakistan Embassy in Washington DC

DUAL NATIONALITY ALLOWED http://www.pakistan-embassy.org/dual.php

US nationals of Pakistani origin can now have dual nationality. In addition to their US passports, they can now also keep their Pakistani passports. In order to apply for their Pakistani passports they would have to submit their original US passport, which should have "Pakistan" as the country of origin, and in addition, original Pakistani ID card. They would also have to fill all the required forms necessary for the renewal of passports, which can be downloaded from the Consular Services section .

The facility to keep Pakistani passports in addition to US passports has primarily been granted for purpose of identity, property transactions and legal transactions IN PAKISTAN.

Please also see all information regarding Pakistan Origin Card. .

The dual nationality arrangement has been arrived at after consultation between the two governments and has the full approval of both governments.

THE NOTIFICATIONS:

In order to ameliorate the difficulties of those Pakistani who have acquired nationalities of USA and Sweden, Government of Pakistan has accorded them dual nationality status. In this regard Ministry of Interior have issued notification dated 29-8-2002.

Notifications Islamabad, the 29th August, 2002

S.R.O. 581 (1)/2002.- In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (3) of section 14 of Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951 (II of 1951), the Federal Government is pleased to specify United States of America to be one of the other countries referred to in that sub-section. [No. 11/3/2002-Citz]

S.R.O. 582 (1)/2002.- In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (3) of section 14 of Pakistan Citizenship Act, 1951 (II of 1951), the Federal Government is pleased to specify Sweden to be one of the other countires referred to in that sub-section. [No. 11/3/2002-Citz]

Edited by Pinay Wife

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
you see how i know

abby n sheryl

Helo Abby,

hi...I though that being a GC holder or USC does not require any visa to visit other country. But you just mentioned that u need to apply for tourist visa before leaving USA for Pakistan...just curious. BTW, my uncle who was born Filipino has his dual citizenship...Agreed what they said. God Bless.

hey thank u for the info

i still have my pakistan passport and my national id card

and i will talk to pakistan embassy soon after my wife is here

thanks again

abby n sheryl

My wife and I filed a report of birth for our son born here in the US. When she becomes a US Citizen, will he retain his Filipino citizenship or would she have to petition for dual citizenship and list him as a derivitive beneficiary?

Hi,I have a friend who gave birth here in the US and they reported their daughter's birth to Phil.Consulate.As the Bureau of Immigration in the Philippines said to me and to her.As long that you reported the child's birth before the Filipino citizen parent get his/her US Citizensip,the child will be dual-citizenship and it will retain even the Philippine Citizen parent become a US Citizen.Bureau of Immigration said that once the child born to one Philippine citizen parent,the child is automatically dual-citizen.

So my daughter's friend who was born here in the US is already a dual citizen.(US and Philippines).While my daughter born in the Philippines and she had her CRBA at US Embassy,all I need to do is get her a Philippine passport and that's makes her dual-citizen.That's the Bureau of Immigration in the Philippines told me before we left.

N-400 Naturalization

04/25/2012 - sent N-400 package to USCIS Dallas

04/28/2012 - package delivered at USCIS Dallas

I-751 Removal of Condition

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

03/24/2011 - package delivered at VSC according to USPS tracking

03/25/2011 - package received by Center Director according to Return receipt

04/04/2011 - NOA received - dated 03/25/2011

04/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice received -notice date 04/08/2011

04/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment - Done!

10/14/2011 - Card Production Email

10/17/2011 - Approval Notice received - dated 10/06/2011

11/04/2011 - 10yrs green card received

People who been naturalized and/or will have their naturalization will have to apply for dual-citizenship to have the Reacquisition/Retention of Philippine Citizenship.Thats for Filipinos.I don't know the process of dual citizenship for other countries.

N-400 Naturalization

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

me either i dont know anyother country

thanks for the input

abby n sheryl

me either i dont know anyother country

thanks for the input

abby n sheryl

You're welcome.Once your wife become a US Citizen by Naturalization,she can apply for dual citizenship so she can have her Reacquisition/Retention of Philippine Citizenship.That way,she can stay in the Philippines as long that she want and more things she can do.

N-400 Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I will share you my experience..

I was a conditional resident and became a USC only last year. I gave birth to my son in the Middle East and reported his birth in the US Embassy here. He is a USC but at the same time he is filipino citizen.. It was our decision to apply for a Filipino passport for him as his mother is Philippine citizen. When he reach 18 years and is joining the US army, our son will need to choose his citizenship.

As for your wife, when she took the oath of allegiance in the USA as per:

SECTION 1 OF THE PHILIPPINE COMMONWEALTH ACT 63, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS "AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE WAYS IN WHICH PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP MAY BE LOST OR REACQUIRED", STATES THAT THE FILIPINO CITIZEN MAY LOSE HIS CITIZENSHIP IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WAYS:

1. BY NATURALIZATION IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY;

2. BY EXPRESS RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP;

3. BY SUBSCRIBING TO AN OATH OF ALLEGIANCE TO SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTION AND LAWS OF A FOREIGN COUNTRY; AND

4. BY RENDERING SERVICE TO, OR ACCEPTING COMMISSION IN THE

ARMED FORCES OF A FOREIGN COUNTRY.

Even if her Philippine passport is still valid by the time she were ssued a US PASSPORT, it is already deemed cancelled. After she subscribed to an oath of allegiance to the US, she is no longer

considered a FILIPINO CITIZEN and therefore cease to be under the authority of the Philippine Government, which is the issuing authority of the Philippines Passport.

SECTION 3, ARTICLE 4 OF THE PHILIPPINE CONSTITUTION STATES THAT "PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP MAY BE LOST OR REACQUIRED IN THE MANNER PROVIDED BY LAW".

IF she want to apply for the reacquisition of her FILIPINO CITIZENSHIP, she need to contact the nearest embassy at your state and submit the following documents:

1. PHILIPPINE BIRTH CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL STATISTICS OFFICE IN THE PHILIPPINES AND AUTHENTICATED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS IN MANILA;

2.ORIGINAL AND COPY OF YOUR OLD PHILIPPINE PASSPORT;

3.VOTER'S AFFIDAVIT OR VOTER'S IDENTIFICATION CARD;

4.ORIGINAL AND COPY OF YOUR US PASSPORT;

5.ORIGINAL AND COpy OF YOUR CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION;

6.5 PIECES OF 2X2 ID PICTURE;

7.DULY ACCOMPLISHED APPLICATION FORM (TO BE OBTAINED FROM THE EMBASSY); AND

8.OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS WHICH MAY BE REQUIRED BY THE EMBASSY

She Will have to secure an appointment for interview and to take an oath of allegiance thereafter.

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timeline
Hi,I have a friend who gave birth here in the US and they reported their daughter's birth to Phil.Consulate.As the Bureau of Immigration in the Philippines said to me and to her.As long that you reported the child's birth before the Filipino citizen parent get his/her US Citizensip,the child will be dual-citizenship and it will retain even the Philippine Citizen parent become a US Citizen.Bureau of Immigration said that once the child born to one Philippine citizen parent,the child is automatically dual-citizen.

So my daughter's friend who was born here in the US is already a dual citizen.(US and Philippines).While my daughter born in the Philippines and she had her CRBA at US Embassy,all I need to do is get her a Philippine passport and that's makes her dual-citizen.That's the Bureau of Immigration in the Philippines told me before we left.

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.