sammills89

Sending Additional Information

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am currently contemplating sending in a statement of the events that led to my arrest (see my other post) in order to clarify it for the embassy. I meant to send it when I sent back packet 3 and forgot to put it inside, following this I didn't even think about sending it afterward. Does anyone think this is worth me doing, and if it is, how would I go about this? Basically I want to send a copy of what happened, explaining that I was never convicted and that charges weren't filed with the crown prosecution service, in order to assist me on my interview date.

I could do with an address, and some mailing insturutions (should I put a cover letter in there?) and anything else you might have to offer. Thanks in advance!

The Sams'.

Timeline

Hello again English Muffin. So they wont make a pre-conceived decision before I've even reached there? On my form I did tick that I had been arrested, and just put at the age of 17 I was arrested and released. I was never convicted or taken to court etc. I'm worried that I will arrive and they will have made the decision already!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

No decisions are made until the interview itself. I don't think the IO even gets to see your file until you're standing in front of them. They are far too busy to read petitions/applications more than once.

I understand how anxious you are about this but try to remember that you are not the first person to be in this position. The Embassy deals with applications like yours every single day and yours isn't as important to them as it is to you. I don't mean to sound harsh but you need to understand how the Embassy works. When I had my interview the place was packed out, mainly with people applying for B2 visas. The reason most UK citizens need B2 visas is that they have a criminal history and can't use the VWP. The Embassy really is used to dealing with applications like yours routinely so try not to worry too much and just take everything to the interview with you.

Try to relax, you're in a better position that some people. :)

Timeline

Ah right, that helps a lot - at least I can explain to the consular officer the events surrounding my criminal history! I have done so much researching over the last week, and by the looks of things my crime wasn't a CIMT, and that battery very rarely is. It's so nerve racking though, really just wish they would give me the interview date already so I could get it over and done with.

Thanks for the reply!

Ah right, that helps a lot - at least I can explain to the consular officer the events surrounding my criminal history! I have done so much researching over the last week, and by the looks of things my crime wasn't a CIMT, and that battery very rarely is. It's so nerve racking though, really just wish they would give me the interview date already so I could get it over and done with.

Thanks for the reply!

Your own statement may not be what the Embassy wants. They may ask you for a copy of the original police report. If you can go in person to the police station in question you can asl them for a copy of the report. If the report no longer exists then you can ask them for a letter stating that fact. I had a minor conviction when I was 18 and there were no records of it at all but I declared it to be on the safe side. I included a letter from the county court that the court that dealt with me no longer existed, that the records were missing and that there was no way to provide any official record. I also asked for and got a letter from the local Procurator Fiscal (Scotland) to explain how minor the offence was. I had no trouble getting my visa but the subject was brought up again at my green card interview. I found both the courts, the police and the prosecutors very helpful when I explained I needed these documents so that I could travel and get married. I think most bureaucrats are romantics at heart.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.