JulieG

POE by land with no I-94

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband is an American and we were married in Florida last October. Since then we lived in Canada for 13 months and had our child. We have since relocated to Louisiana where he is from. We came by land and therefore I did not recieve an I-94. I now know I should have started the process while I was in Canada. How do I go about starting my CR-1 under these conditions. I have been here since December 08. It is my understanding that I, as a Canadian, am legally a visitor for 6 months, how do I prove when I came through the border.

Thanks for any help on this, I am at my wits end with the complicated look of everything to be done,

Julie

Did you check out the adjustment of status forum? If you are already in the US and didn't intend to immigrate when you entered, you can adjust your status from within the US. You would file the I-130 and I-485 concurrently (check out adjustment of status forum). That's the way that I did my immigration process. I didn't have to prove when or how I entered the US and didn't really have any proof, as they just looked at my passport and let me through.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Did you check out the adjustment of status forum? If you are already in the US and didn't intend to immigrate when you entered, you can adjust your status from within the US. You would file the I-130 and I-485 concurrently (check out adjustment of status forum). That's the way that I did my immigration process. I didn't have to prove when or how I entered the US and didn't really have any proof, as they just looked at my passport and let me through.

Same with me! If you have a child, you might as well file AOS at this point.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

HOw did you proove that when you entered the US you had no intention of immigrating. If you can't proove that then it's fraud right, and you can be deported for god sakes.

Same with me! If you have a child, you might as well file AOS at this point.

What is an AOS..thanks

Welcome to VJ :)

You may want to have a look at this guide

Step-by-Step Guide on How to File an I-130 for a Spouse Inside the US

Thanks for your help, I'll take a look. What about the fraud thing. How does one proove they had no intention of immigrating upon arriving?

Timeline
Thanks for your help, I'll take a look. What about the fraud thing. How does one proove they had no intention of immigrating upon arriving?

Am I reading your summary right.. that you were married in the US, left and went to Canada for a year and then moved to the US via land POE and are trying to prove that you had no intent to immigrate? :blink:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Am I reading your summary right.. that you were married in the US, left and went to Canada for a year and then moved to the US via land POE and are trying to prove that you had no intent to immigrate? :blink:

Yes, that is correct. We travelled down to Louisiana for Christmas to visit his people. While we were here his ex abandoned the marital home which was in his name alone. She was paying the note out of alimony. We had no choice but to take over the home. We were living with my mother in Canada. I had sold everything before I went to Iraq to work which is where we met. He didn't actually live with me in Canada full time. He is in the off shore oil industry and works 28 days on 28 days off.

So I have been setting up house ever since. I went and applied for a SSN because we were ill advised that this is all we needed to do with a marriage certificate. Now I know I have to start proceedings but I am nervous that I won't be able to prove my intent.

Thanks for listening,

JUlie

Timeline

So.. you were working in Iraq during the 13 months you were in Canada? I'm really confused.. sorry, but it's a confusing timeline and sequence of events (sounds like QUITE the couple of years :P)

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well basically it is circumstantial and I believe 'common sense' (as in a common sense approach) - and a bit of the honesty system.

If it looks fradulent - they will probably call you on it.

If you feel that your situation really doesn't not look fradulent but you would like our opinion - as Em mentioned, we need a timeline - it's not really clear from your posts.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
So.. you were working in Iraq during the 13 months you were in Canada? I'm really confused.. sorry, but it's a confusing timeline and sequence of events (sounds like QUITE the couple of years :P)

Tell me about it. No, I sold all my stuff and went to Iraq in 2005 for 2 years to work for Haliburton that is where we met. In 2007 we were married in Florida at my Dads home. Moved back to Canada to have our baby (free health care) and stayed with my mother for this time, 13 months. Our lan was to naturalize him into Canada in time. Then in December of 2008 went to Louisiana so everyone could meet our daughter. His ex left the home and got married in Arkansas. We ended up staying here in Louisiana since December.

I know it's hard to follow. My concern is of course how I prove my intent. Our passports were shown at the border in Buffalo but were not stamped. I just am nervous to make a wrong move here and be deported somehow.

thx

Timeline

Tell me about it. No, I sold all my stuff and went to Iraq in 2005 for 2 years to work for Haliburton that is where we met. In 2007 we were married in Florida at my Dads home. Moved back to Canada to have our baby (free health care) and stayed with my mother for this time, 13 months. Our lan was to naturalize him into Canada in time. Then in December of 2008 went to Louisiana so everyone could meet our daughter. His ex left the home and got married in Arkansas. We ended up staying here in Louisiana since December.

I know it's hard to follow. My concern is of course how I prove my intent. Our passports were shown at the border in Buffalo but were not stamped. I just am nervous to make a wrong move here and be deported somehow.

thx

Well really you have to ask - what ties did you have in Canada when you went to Louisiana for Christmas.

Did either of you have a job? Own any real estate? Any ties at all?

The fact that your passports were not stamped and that you do not have an I-94 is of zero importance.

If you had no ties, if you have no proof that you didn't intend to immigrate when you crossed the border, then you have no choice (if you decided to do an AOS - adjustment of status) but to put in your application and hope no one questions it.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

thx

Well really you have to ask - what ties did you have in Canada when you went to Louisiana for Christmas.

Did either of you have a job? Own any real estate? Any ties at all?

The fact that your passports were not stamped and that you do not have an I-94 is of zero importance.

If you had no ties, if you have no proof that you didn't intend to immigrate when you crossed the border, then you have no choice (if you decided to do an AOS - adjustment of status) but to put in your application and hope no one questions it.

I had just had a child and was raising her. My husband works offshore in the oil industry so he is flown to his home by the company every 28 days for 28 days. So, obviously he flew to Canada every cycle. I lived with my mother so no real estate. We were in a whirlwind of transition with plans in the air.

Do you think it would be advisable to state in an affidavit my circumstances upon crossing and subsequent change of situation or just let it fly and let the chips fall.

thanks again

Timeline
I had just had a child and was raising her. My husband works offshore in the oil industry so he is flown to his home by the company every 28 days for 28 days. So, obviously he flew to Canada every cycle. I lived with my mother so no real estate. We were in a whirlwind of transition with plans in the air.

Do you think it would be advisable to state in an affidavit my circumstances upon crossing and subsequent change of situation or just let it fly and let the chips fall.

thanks again

There are people in the Canada forum that adjusted status after entering the U.S. without the intent to immigrate, i'm sure they can let you know what they did.

good luck :thumbs:

Timeline

Hi

I was wondering, did you have an I-94 for you filings? Did you have to mention or prove your intent upon crossing into the US either to the person who recieved you at US Customs or in your forms. It says in the guide section here that if you can't prove you had no intent on immigrating when you are here on a tourist visa, which is I believe our status as Canadians when we cross into the U.S.

Any thoughts would be so appreciated.

No, I didn't get an I-94 or file one with my application. At the border they asked where I was going. Then they asked why I was going there. I said I was going there to visit and staying for a couple of weeks. They did not ask to see proof of anything (another time, I had been asked for proof of employment, when crossing into the US with my now husband).

They may ask you to prove your intent at your interview, I am not sure. At my interview, it came up that my husband had lived with me in Canada for quite awhile, prior to me coming to the US and prior to the marriage. They didn't seem to care about that. In fact, they seemed to just want to get me through my interview as fast as possible (it was ten minutes total). The IO made a comment. "You are Canadian, so I am not worried about you getting married just to get a green card" (wasn't that nice of him?!?). I was concerned that they may ask about my intent, seeing as I had recieved all these dire warnings, but it did not happen.

I think the onus would be on you to prove that you did not have intent to immigrate, but I believe that they do not ask for that very often (at least from things I have seen in this and other forums). Maybe if they have some reason to be suspicious or think the marriage may be fraudulent.

You might want to make an appointment with someone at the local USCIS office, explain your situation and see what they say. We were advised to do the I-130/I-485 concurrently.

Edited by jane2009

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.