Travis & Kim

car imported :)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

going to keep it short and sweet - tho I could write a novel on what I went thru to get my car imported

first - they boarder in Detroit filled out the wrong ppwk for my car, he was a n00bie filling out ppwk, so I can't be that upset

so I get here...

call the tax office and they tell me all the stuff I need to do

1) go to the Austin airport and have customs fill out the RIGHT ppwk, Hs7 I think it was called

2) go to any police station and have a VTR 68-A filled out by them (they run a VIN check)

3) get insurance

4) get state inspection

5) bring all ppwk to Tax office and get title transfer and plates

ohh and there is more paper work at the tax office to fill out - btw - you can get it even if you don't have your SNN yet - I just had to fill out another paper for that.

I finally got it all done yesterday!! =)

I still have a lien on my car - I didn't tell Honda I was importing it (going to play dumb if they ever call me) but everything went thru

I am going to continue to make payments on my car - I have 15 payments left

I could technically pay it off now if they force me, but I am only at 1.9% finance - so meh, I will leave it for now.

The tax office said they are sending my title (ownership) to Honda Canada and that they will send it back to me when it's paid off

not sure if that will happen - but I will request a letter from them when it is paid off so I can go back to the tax office and get them taken off and get a new title :)

so now my Canadian car has those crazy Texas stickers in the window and Texas plates - yay =)

Date of I-751 = 03/05/2011

NOA Date = 3/08/2011

Biometrics = 04/11/2011

Approved = 09/08/2011

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
going to keep it short and sweet - tho I could write a novel on what I went thru to get my car imported

first - they boarder in Detroit filled out the wrong ppwk for my car, he was a n00bie filling out ppwk, so I can't be that upset

so I get here...

1) go to the Austin airport and have customs fill out the RIGHT ppwk, Hs7 I think it was called

2) go to any police station and have a VTR 68-A filled out by them (they run a VIN check)

3) get insurance

4) get state inspection

ohh and there is more paper work at the tax office to fill out - btw - you can get it even if you don't have your SNN yet - I just had to fill out another paper for that.

I still have a lien on my car - I didn't tell Honda I was importing it (going to play dumb if they ever call me) but everything went thru

I could technically pay it off now if they force me, but I am only at 1.9% finance - so meh, I will leave it for now.

The tax office said they are sending my title (ownership) to Honda Canada and that they will send it back to me when it's paid off

not sure if that will happen - but I will request a letter from them when it is paid off so I can go back to the tax office and get them taken off and get a new title :)

so now my Canadian car has those crazy Texas stickers in the window and Texas plates - yay =)

I moved my car from Texas to BC. Canada made importing the car a real hassle, but to be fair, it seems that's true the opposite way too.

The worst part for me was that BMW Canada kept insisting I needed a "letter of recall" from them and they were going to charge me $500 simply for the letter. I got that letter for FREE in Texas. Fortunately, RIV accepted the letter from Texas, even though BMW Canada said they wouldn't. :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, I'm lucky I had such an easy time importing my car. It was hassle free. Glad yours worked out anyway!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

lolol we had to do all this too. funny, the people at the tax office didn't know ####### to do, but calling the main office helped. oh somehow we managed to not have to go to the airport, even though our import papers were wrong (i guess they didn't stamp it. i think they gave us the wrong copy at the border).

Edited by wowswift

Timeline

ohh forgot to add - they though 105,000 km's = 170,000 miles

I was like umm - think you have that backwards

pulled out my iphone - typed in coverter - got the right miles and she STILL had to call someone to make sure

HAHA =)

NOA Date = 3/08/2011

Biometrics = 04/11/2011

Approved = 09/08/2011

Timeline
Nice informative post, I was worried about the lien as we will have to purchase a newer car before coming down but I do plan on making payments so hope it is not an issue.

Have you considered purchasing a car in the U.S.? They are much much cheaper here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Trailmix you give such a great advice!

I wish, but I am moving next Tues and just got this silly old car repaired! So I'll take it with me, it costs a fortune to ship it too.

It better run when I get to Indianapolis ...

Timeline
I am going to import my car next week.

I have the letter of compliance, registration and insurance papers. Anything else I need?

Just to be more clear - this is stuff I did after I crossed the border

at the border I just gave them my compliance letters (one from Honda Canada and one from Honda USA)

my original bill of sale

ownership (I think?)

when you cross make sure they fill out a HS7 for you, they filled out some other paper that was totaly wrong and told me to mail one to the Secretary of State?

I have no idea about that and I still haven't done that =p

NOA Date = 3/08/2011

Biometrics = 04/11/2011

Approved = 09/08/2011

Timeline
Nice informative post, I was worried about the lien as we will have to purchase a newer car before coming down but I do plan on making payments so hope it is not an issue.

Have you considered purchasing a car in the U.S.? They are much much cheaper here.

I looked into it but I can finance over here bc I have credit if I purchase in the states I will have to come with cash. Once I transfer it over to Canada to transfer it back I would be better off buying over here, for what I want the prices are actually not that much of a difference.

MONI_CALLA

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

so I get here...

3) get insurance

4) get state inspection

Glad we're crossing at Sarnia/Port Huron instead of Windsor/Detroit. The border at Detroit never gives me anything but trouble a complete stomach ache. Ugh. sick0014.gif

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

I never got an HS7 at the border. I did get a 7501 paper from the border though. They told me to hang on to it as I'd need it for registration. I do recall filling out an HS7 later on before I did the whole registration/plate thing though.

$177 for Texas plates, registration, sticker, and title?

I think I prefer the window sticker to the license plate sticker. At least with the window stickers, you can take them off and clean up the window before you put the new one on. People tend to leave ugly layers on their license plates. I seem to be one of the few who would hairdryer/goo gone the plate before putting a new sticker on.

Did you get the new Texas plate design or the old one?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.