laybar

DCF in Dominican Republic

6 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find out if DCF can be done thru the USA Embassy in Dominican Republic for a US Citizen living in the DR for 15+ years.

If anyone knows ANYTHING, I'd appreciate a response. Thanks! :D

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm trying to find out if DCF can be done thru the USA Embassy in Dominican Republic for a US Citizen living in the DR for 15+ years.

I've not seen a story posted online for a DR DCF in the couple of groups I watch. Look for user twincactus here at VJ; he has a discussion group just for DR cases and there may be someone there with firsthand knowledge of the process there.

I know for a USC genuinely resident in the DR, they can file the I-30 there, but I understand the visa appointment wait is quite long, and DCF won't move you through that any faster.

There is also the issue of US domicile to work out; the USC must have a home and employment (and taxes and voting etc) in the US, or be taking steps toward them. Each Consulate has their own idea of just *how* settled in the US the USC must be.

Bottom line: most likely that the USC *can* DCF in the DR if they have been resident there for 15 years.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Ok,...we have a friend here, whos Puerto-Rican, and she's married to someone from the Dominican Republic, (we're helping her out with the paperwork side of things) what we want to know is.......

Is there a RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT to do DCF in the D.R.??? or can the USC just fly into the D.R. and appear at the U.S. consulate the day of the scheduled interview and file everything???

Our friend as said before shes Puertorican and her husband is DR she wants to know ... how can she file a DCF they have been married for 7 months now shes been there a few times, she told us a lawyer told her she needs a co-sponsor as we all know it is true cause of the poverty line , but she wants to know what can she do to file this

does she need to live there or can she start filling paper from over here and if so wich ones are there ????

3dflags_pri0001-0001a.gif3dflags_aus0001-0001a.gif

Oct 29 2004 Met on LDSPLANET

Oct 30 2004 First phone call....EVERY DAY till this day

Dec 25 2004 I asked him to MARRY me and he said Yes

March 19 2005 took out my passport now i need to wait

April 19 2005 I GOT MY PASSPORT !!!!

April 21 2005 NENNE booked his flight he get here on June 29th YES!!!!

May 9 2005 I-130 Packet and Packet 3 are being sent off to us !!!

May 15 2005 Recived packet 1-3

June 29 2005 Nenne arrived in Puerto Rico

July 2 2005 GOT MARRIEDbadassbuddy_com-inlove2.gif

July 11 2005 Got our Marriage Certificate

Leaving August 17th to Australia and file for DCF !!!

July 19 2005 Got interview date on Sept. 6

August 17th Got to AUSTRALIA !!!

SEPTEMBER 6 DCF (CR1)WE GOT APPROVED !!!!

September 9 2005 Recived VISA in mail

November 24 2005 Nennes POE GUAM

November 26 2005 Arrived in Puerto Rico

Married for 3 years and counting

September 10 2007 sending off the I-571

Sept 2007 sent forms Aug 2008 got 10 yr Green Card

Timeline
Is there a RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT to do DCF in the D.R.??? or can the USC just fly into the D.R. and appear at the U.S. consulate the day of the scheduled interview and file everything???

OK, when someone is curious about a Consulate they do not see mentioned in the non-resident DCF category, this is how you find out (steps from the DCF Guide):

-first, if you don't see it discussed, and the Consulate is generally known to be high-fraud or 'tough', odds are the answer is 'no'.

-if you're not convinced, start here: Websites of U.S. Embassies and Consulates and select your Consulate. It's also generally a good idea to see if there is a USCIS office in the city you're interested in; sometimes they take I-130s and leave the Consulate to the visa applications.

-browse to the Consular section/Immigrant Visas (http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/iv-e.htm) & check the FAQs and any information on USC petitioners filing their petition locally or in the US.

-read what they have to say about it

I don't see anything encouraging about filing petitions locally on that webpage. I have not heard of any non-resident DCF in the Caribbean (except for Barbados). I would not be too encouraged to think it is possible for a USC who is not legally, normally resident in the DR.

That's just my opinion though. There is contact info on that page for reaching the Immigrant Visa Unit, and they have the final word. Any interested petitioner should contact them with a query and present her best case.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

• 2 weeks later...

:unsure::cry:

Just thought I'd tell everyone that the USCIS in Santo Domingo is NOT filing I-130's (DCF) although their Jan 20, 2006 update on their website says they do.

So, it's not just about specific standards for 'legal resident' ... they don't do it PERIOD. It took me a phone call and a posterior visit (I was unconvinced by the phone answer) to find this out.

BTW, I was treated VERY rudely by a "supervisor" standing out on the street... oh, yeah, that's where I had to explain my question because I was never even let inside the building. I've filed a complaint AS IF that were to change anything. :angry:

Well... just though I'd let you all know so you can inform people with certainty.

Timeline

:unsure::cry:

Just thought I'd tell everyone that the USCIS in Santo Domingo is NOT filing I-130's (DCF) although their Jan 20, 2006 update on their website says they do.

So, it's not just about specific standards for 'legal resident' ... they don't do it PERIOD. It took me a phone call and a posterior visit (I was unconvinced by the phone answer) to find this out.

BTW, I was treated VERY rudely by a "supervisor" standing out on the street... oh, yeah, that's where I had to explain my question because I was never even let inside the building. I've filed a complaint AS IF that were to change anything. :angry:

Well... just though I'd let you all know so you can inform people with certainty.

luisaybar,

my thoughts, from glancing at a few posts at the dominican forums, is that you should not be satisfied with a response from the person working outside.

Were you very clear that you are a US Citizen, living in the DR? Did you have your US passport with your for ID?

I don't know how far a trip it is for you to go to the consulate, but it might be worth going back. It is certainly possible that they have stopped accepting petitions locally, but from what I have read they are in violation of the law by doing that (but hey, Canada got away with it for a long time). I would want a Consular Officer to tell me just exactly where I am to file my petition if I were resident locally.

Unfortunately, with the length of the interview list in the DR, it's a bit of a moot point. Have you thought about the two of you moving elsewhere in the short term? Or, if you're contented to just wait your turn, re-try the Consulate and see if you can get a 'better' answer. (what did the person on the phone say? were you crystal clear that you are a USC and that you are living in/have been living in the DR for X period of time?)

Hang in there!

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.