jhunjhun

Can I cash a canadian check in USA?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

our bank freaks out when I bring a Canadian cheque ($25 processing fee, it takes ages to clear, etc etc). When my grandparents want to give me money for my birthday or whatever, they give it to my parents and they deposit it in my Canadian account. It's nice to have when we travel to Canada and we need cash once we hit the border.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use bank of America..they have cashed Canadian cheques in the past no problem(I don't think they even noticed it was a canadian cheque :blink::rofl: ) as long as the funds were there to cover it.

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We use Sovereign Bank in PA and don't have a problem with Canadian cheques. We just make sure to put it in the ATM instead of giving it directly to a teller. It's alot less hassel.

What I've been blown away by is converting my CAD cash into USD. We have to go to a certain branch to do this (still Sovereign), fill out a form, and it took them about 30 minutes to exchange 1 canadian $100 bill...and they charged us a $3.00 fee.

Back home at TD Canada Trust you just swipe your card and away you go....somethings just aren't better in the states.

--Kerri

Timeline

I have cashed a Canadian cheque at Bank of America as well....no problem however they did charge a nominal transaction fee which I think wasnt more then a few dollars.

My CRA direct deposit account was rejected due to incomplete or invalid bank information. On my assessment, they want me to send Form T1-DD(1), "Direct Deposit Request - Individuals but it will be too late for me if I'll send it now. My question is, can I cash a Canadian check in USA? I had a Chase checking bank account......is there a fee to do this?

Filed: Other Timeline
What I've been blown away by is converting my CAD cash into USD. We have to go to a certain branch to do this (still Sovereign), fill out a form, and it took them about 30 minutes to exchange 1 canadian $100 bill...and they charged us a $3.00 fee.

Back home at TD Canada Trust you just swipe your card and away you go....somethings just aren't better in the states.

--Kerri

I can't even get foreign currency anywhere near here where I live. They can't exchange Canadian currency or any other. If I'm going home for a visit, I have to exchange cash on the Canadian side. When we were getting ready to go to a friend's wedding in Scotland, we had to drive an hour and a half to Charlotte so we could get pound sterling travellers checks. Not a single bank or travel office any closer had any, and none had any currency! I even came home with about 60 ponds left in cash, which I'll keep if we ever decide to go back, because I can't exchange it here now :P

Although, I might be able to get Mexican pesos at one of the Mexican stores in town. But I have no plans to travel to Mexico any time soon. :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

--Kerri

I can't even get foreign currency anywhere near here where I live. They can't exchange Canadian currency or any other. If I'm going home for a visit, I have to exchange cash on the Canadian side. When we were getting ready to go to a friend's wedding in Scotland, we had to drive an hour and a half to Charlotte so we could get pound sterling travellers checks. Not a single bank or travel office any closer had any, and none had any currency! I even came home with about 60 ponds left in cash, which I'll keep if we ever decide to go back, because I can't exchange it here now :P

Although, I might be able to get Mexican pesos at one of the Mexican stores in town. But I have no plans to travel to Mexico any time soon. :P

Isn't it so lame ? back in Canada I could exchange for a variety of currencies at my nearest TD Canadat trust - here, Wachovia makes such a stink, I don't even bother, I just do the exchanging in Canada like you said.

wish they'd get into the new millenium! I live 20 minutes from DC, we're pretty INTERNATIONAL around here - you'd think!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, there are nearly a dozen banks within walking distance here who will change my money for any major foreign currency.

I have deposited canadian checks before and never been assessed a fee. With wells fargo, they pulled up some official rate Foreign currency exchange rates vary between different brokerage firms because of the volume they trade in. I wouldn't use yahoo as an authority on what the exchange rate is, more of a reference point.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can also get a USD account with your Canadian bank.

If you use online banking, it's easy to move money from your Canadian checking/savings accounts to your USD account... with my bank (TD CanadaTrust) I even get a slightly better exchange rate this way.

I've had no problems depositing US Dollar checks drawn from a Canadian US Dollar account at Bank of America (for paying rent to my Fiancee).

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

Timeline
You can also get a USD account with your Canadian bank.

If you use online banking, it's easy to move money from your Canadian checking/savings accounts to your USD account... with my bank (TD CanadaTrust) I even get a slightly better exchange rate this way.

I've had no problems depositing US Dollar checks drawn from a Canadian US Dollar account at Bank of America (for paying rent to my Fiancee).

That's good to know. We also opened a US account with TD Canada Trust. I'm going to go see if Chase will accept a US cheque from a Canadian Bank.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Did you get the Bordeless Plan from TD? If so you are entitled to complimentary checks. Just FYI, when you order them you can ask to leave your address off the checks so it only shows your name (in case you haven't updated to your US address before ordering checks). My checks specifically state "US Dollar Account" and "U.S. Funds". They take about 3 days to clear with BoA.

That's good to know. We also opened a US account with TD Canada Trust. I'm going to go see if Chase will accept a US cheque from a Canadian Bank.

Lifting Conditions

Timeline

My CRA direct deposit account was rejected due to incomplete or invalid bank information. On my assessment, they want me to send Form T1-DD(1), "Direct Deposit Request - Individuals but it will be too late for me if I'll send it now. My question is, can I cash a Canadian check in USA? I had a Chase checking bank account......is there a fee to do this?

You should be able to open a cdn dollar bank account and deposit it into that once it clears usually about 7-10 business days you can transfer it into US or w/d as CDN dollars if your bank has them available.

Edited by moni_calla

MONI_CALLA

Our little ####### town back took a Canadian cheque from my parents.

It took a few days to process but it went through.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I have an update for the this thread: I recently opened a Chase checking account and tried to deposit a US-Dollar Cheque from TD Canada Trust. A day later I saw that the cheque did not clear (even though there was more than enough money in the TD account) and that I was charged a $25 insufficient funds fee.

Suffice to say I was steaming mad when I saw this. I called the branch and they looked into it, finally telling me that it will take 2-3 weeks for the international cheque to clear and that they will reverse the fee at that time. So now my money is in limbo for weeks and I have no access to it. They can't recall the cheque since it's been sent collection and it will cost me money on both sides if I make a stop payment.

The only reason I chose Chase was because it was a few minutes from my place... we'll be pulling our money out and moving all of our money to Bank of America after 90 days (so Chase can't charge us another $25 for trying to close an account within 90 days of opening).

I also called Chase to verify the Branch's story and they also told me that international cheques take 2-3 weeks to clear. I asked why BoA was able to clear the same cheques in 2-3 DAYS and they did not have an answer for me. So yea, avoid Chase if you can.

Lifting Conditions

I wonder what issues I'll face when attempting to cash a draft from my Canadian bank account into my USC fiance's bank account at WaMu.

That's how I was hoping/planning on transferring my own money own. The whole sum of it, heh.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.