ptrober

Civil Documents for NVC

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am trying to collate my parents civil documents ahead of time so we are ready when the case is forwarded to the NVC. However, I am running into some issues with police certificates. I understand that the NVC & CIS will accept situations where records are not available but how will they handle situations where the records are available but the beneficiary cannot provide the information necessary to have the records released?

For example, my dad is 80 and over his life has lived in Jamaica, Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Trinidad as well as in his country of nationality (UK). You may consider him unwise, but he destroyed some of his old passports. After all, although hindsight is a wonderful thing, why bother to keep passports that expired in the 1950s when you have had four or five others since?

According to both the US State Department and the Cayman Police Office, to get records from Cayman you have to provide copies of the passport pages showing your entry and exit stamps. Obviously he no longer has this.

Similarly with Jamaica, you have to get a friend or relative presently living in Jamaica to apply for these records on your behalf. Given that it was several decades ago he lived there he no longer knows anyone. His friends have either moved back to the US or UK or have passed away.

I have tried to speak with the NVC but they will not assist until I have an NVC number.

Will merely providing the informaiton we can get and a covering letter explaining the missing records be sufficient or will this be a roadblock? For someone of my dad's age, getting records from when they just turned 16 is not a simple task. We do have precise records and dates for everything in the past thirty years. Will that be sufficient or will they be adamant about having records for the 50 years before that also?

Thanks in advance!

ptrober

IR-5 FOR BOTH PARENTS

04/20/09 : I-130 Sent

04/27/09 : I-130 NOA1 Received

08/04/09 : I-130 Approved

08/10/09 : I-130 NOA2 Received

08/17/09 : NVC Received

08/17/09 : NVC Case Numbers issued

08/19/09 : Received DS-3032/I-864 Bill

08/19/09 : Paid I-864 Bill

08/19/09 : Return Completed DS-3032 (by email)

08/21/09 : Receive I-864 Package

08/21/09 : Return Completed I-864

09/04/09 : DS-3032 accepted

09/04/09 : Receive IV Bill

09/04/09 : Paid IV Bill

09/07/09 : I-864 Approved

09/09/09 : Returned Completed DS-230 package

09/11/09 : DS-230 received by NVC

09/23/09 : Case Complete NVC

09/29/09 : NVC Left

10/08/09 : Medical

11/30/09 : Interview Date - VISAS APPROVED!

12/05/09 : Visa Received

12/07/09 : US Entry (POE Atlanta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm thinking it would be some kind of a roadblock because the records are available for him to get, the only problem is in how to get them. In this case I don't think there's anything the NVC can do but you will have to call the people in charge of issuing these certificates in each country to find out what you can do to get them.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.