chinese_mutt

JOINT SPONSOR (need help)

19 posts in this topic

hello everyone!

i'm looking for someone who can help us file a joint sponsor application for our I-130 application.

it seems that our 2008 gross income is $4000 below the poverty guideline.

i'm not going to go into details here (my husband likes his privacy), safe to say we're kinda screwed financially. not too much.. but enough to not make it for the I-130 application.

we're thinking of filing for a joint sponsor... my husband is a self-employed businessman... so if there's anybody here who can help us. I'd appreciate if you can leave a message here and i'll send a PM about the details of our situation.

Couple of questions include:

1. can we get a friend to JS me?

2. what income bracket do we now consider ourselves in?

3. is this an RFE material?

4. can i be denied because of this, even if i found a JS for me?

thank you! looking forward to some interesting ideas and suggestions.

I would like to bring up to you exactly what your asking of people. Your asking if someone here on VJ would be your co-sponsor. I would like to point out to you that the I-864 and I-864a is a legally binding contract between the sponsor, co-sponsor and the US goverment. This is binding for up to 10 years. So lets just say 12 months after you get here you and your husband split up and get divorced. Now lets just say you apply for public assistance (health care,food stamps or any other goverment sponsored public assistance). The goverment could come back on your husband and co-sponsor for reimbursment of these benifits. I for one would never put myself on the hook for this for some stranger on the internet. No one but you know what your true intensions are, you could just be using your husband to get to the US to have a better life for you and your family back home. Sorry to be so blunt about this but what your asking is insane.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

I would like to bring up to you exactly what your asking of people. Your asking if someone here on VJ would be your co-sponsor. I would like to point out to you that the I-864 and I-864a is a legally binding contract between the sponsor, co-sponsor and the US goverment. This is binding for up to 10 years. So lets just say 12 months after you get here you and your husband split up and get divorced. Now lets just say you apply for public assistance (health care,food stamps or any other goverment sponsored public assistance). The goverment could come back on your husband and co-sponsor for reimbursment of these benifits. I for one would never put myself on the hook for this for some stranger on the internet. No one but you know what your true intensions are, you could just be using your husband to get to the US to have a better life for you and your family back home. Sorry to be so blunt about this but what your asking is insane.

I understand your concern. This is not just a 24 hr. committment.

OMG!! SORRY!!!

I didn't mean fill it out with me as your beneficiary... NO NO NO!!

I mean, just literally walk me through on how to fill our a form!

GEEZ!!! I didn't think people would see it that way!

Btw, I wouldn't throw accusations about me wanting to get to the US and using my husband. I'm sorry but that's out of the line. You are being rude.. and I don't appreciate rude people! You could've asked in a nicer way. Just my two cents.

Edited by tngirl21809

Filed: Timeline

hello everyone!

i'm looking for someone who can help us file a joint sponsor application for our I-130 application.

it seems that our 2008 gross income is $4000 below the poverty guideline.

i'm not going to go into details here (my husband likes his privacy), safe to say we're kinda screwed financially. not too much.. but enough to not make it for the I-130 application.

we're thinking of filing for a joint sponsor... my husband is a self-employed businessman... so if there's anybody here who can help us. I'd appreciate if you can leave a message here and i'll send a PM about the details of our situation.

A joint sponsor is basically anyone who is willing to take financial responsibility for the beneficiary (in this case, this is you) other than the petitioner. If the petitioner doesn't meet the requirement, a joint sponsor can be used. The joint sponsor's income and/or assets must equal at least 125 percent of the Poverty Guidelines. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, or a lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions,and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant. The petitioner and and the joint sponsor must both submit an AOS form and its requirements.

OMG!! SORRY!!!

Btw, I wouldn't throw accusations about me wanting to get to the US and using my husband. I'm sorry but that's out of the line. You are being rude.. and I don't appreciate rude people! You could've asked in a nicer way. Just my two cents.

I think some may have misunderstood you. But I understand what you were asking. I had to do the same thing for my husband and the whole process was really confusing for me.

OMG!! SORRY!!!

Ahh I see... As I read and understood what you was asking is if someone would co-sponsor. I'm sure anyone can help you out with filling out I-864, heck it has instructions that cover everything. You just need to read them once or twice.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

A joint sponsor is basically anyone who is willing to take financial responsibility for the beneficiary (in this case, this is you) other than the petitioner. If the petitioner doesn't meet the requirement, a joint sponsor can be used. The joint sponsor's income and/or assets must equal at least 125 percent of the Poverty Guidelines. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, or a lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions,and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant. The petitioner and and the joint sponsor must both submit an AOS form and its requirements.

thanks!!

by any chance you'd know how to count household people?

example: a single person will be our joint sponsor, are we still counting under two person household (me and the joint sponsor) or will my joint sponsor's income now have to meet three person household income (friend, hubby, me)?

OMG!! SORRY!!!

Ahh I see... As I read and understood what you was asking is if someone would co-sponsor. I'm sure anyone can help you out with filling out I-864, heck it has instructions that cover everything. You just need to read them once or twice.

Yeah, i think i can read much better than anyone here.

unfortunately, i'm looking for people who have experience filing one.

if you are not one of them.. then it's okay.

thank you.. for your helpful hints about reading.

thanks!!

example: a single person will be our joint sponsor, are we still counting under two person household (me and the joint sponsor) or will my joint sponsor's income now have to meet three person household income (friend, hubby, me)?

this is complicated but the joint sponsor can use his/her income alone if it meets the requirements also taking in consideration how many dependents he/she has.

for example:

JS has to meet 125% of poverty guideline - this depends on how many dependents they have. Let's just say they have 1 dependent so JS household size is 2. Their income has to be at least $18,212 (look in the poverty guideline). JS's household size doesn't necessarily have to include your husband. I hope this makes sense.

<snip>

Yes. If they meet these requirements:

If the person who is seeking the immigration of one or more of his or her relatives cannot meet the income requirements, a"joint sponsor" who can meet the requirements may submit a Form I-864 to sponsor all or some of the family members. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant

Well, if you below the poverty level needed (125%), you would be considered at that level.

Yes, if you don't make enough, they will ask for more money or co-sponsor.

There is always that chance, but if you/co-sponsor meets the level, probably not.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

thanks!!

Read the instructions for the I-864 carefully and fill out the form, you will answer your own question :)

Your friend would only count anyone he is financially responsible for, so if he is single, he would count himself, then you. (2).

Not your hubby.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

thanks!!

this is complicated but the joint sponsor can use his/her income alone if it meets the requirements also taking in consideration how many dependents he/she has.

for example:

JS has to meet 125% of poverty guideline - this depends on how many dependents they have. Let's just say they have 1 dependent so JS household size is 2. Their income has to be at least $18,212 (look in the poverty guideline). JS's household size doesn't necessarily have to include your husband. I hope this makes sense.

oh okay got it!!! thanks a lot!!!

hopefully, we can figure something out without the need of a joint sponsor. but i just want to be ready.

If your husband has no other dependents, the requirement is only $14,570 for the year 2009.

are you sure?? Where did you find this, can you give me a link to it?

this would solve our problem! :)

I saw in the 2009 Poverty GL, that for two person household.. the income should be US18,200+.

thanks again!

anyway, we're still working with our tax guy see what we can do.. hopefully, we won't need any JS.

I just like being prepared.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.