sukie175

Brits - US Driving Licence?

13 posts in this topic

In Oklahoma if I can produce my driving record, I won't have to take a test here.

Has anyone else had to do this from the UK and if so, what did you give them to show your driving record and how did you get whatever you showed.

I was thinking of my counterpart driving licence??

:help:

I assume it is probably the paper part of your license that you have to show. You are very lucky not to have to take your test again, I was a bag of nerves taking mine again! Good Luck.

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi ! Well, here in North Carolina I had to take the 'full set' of tests last November...Eyesight, Road Signs, Driving Theory (multiple choice questions) AND the actual driving test....maybe 20 minutes...seemed like HOURS !

This was despite me having had a UK licence for 37 YEARS!!

Ah well...I passed, thank goodness :dance:

Good luck in your own case....Neil.

Neil (Preston, England) & Eva (North Carolina, USA)

27 September 2003 Church Wedding, England.

8 October 2004 -INTERVIEW---VISA GRANTED !!!

(Intervening time covered in VJ -Timeline Section)

10 Dec 2004 - Saturn finally came out of orbit and landed in NC !

(Check timeline for intervening period)

8th February 2006 - 'GREEN CARD' FINALLY GRANTED AT INTERVIEW IN CHARLOTTE, NC.

5th Wedding Anniversary due later this year, on 27th September 2008 - How time flies !

I am not a Lawyer and have never wanted or professed to be one. The views and comments I may express here are entirely my own and without any intended legal standing.

I heard it is easier to pass in the US. Is this true? I have never driven in the U.K. but it seems unavoidable in GA.

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Yeh I am hoping the papaer counterpart licence will be ok, but I have my doubts as they said just the driving licence isn't enough...and it say in big letters Counterpart Driving Licence!!

I have emailed the DVLA and will wait to see if I can get my Drivers record, I really don't wanna do a test :o

Very often, you have to retake the written exam when you move to a different State.

I learned to drive in Arizona, and when I moved to Utah, I had to take a written exam, and FAILED! I didn't know how to park on a hill, or what direction to turn when you're skidding on ice. I read the Utah state driver's manual, and then passed it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Very often, you have to retake the written exam when you move to a different State.

I learned to drive in Arizona, and when I moved to Utah, I had to take a written exam, and FAILED! I didn't know how to park on a hill, or what direction to turn when you're skidding on ice. I read the Utah state driver's manual, and then passed it.

Yes...What a crazy system it is here.

If you move from one State to be resident in another State you have to take some tests there also (usually only the written ones....)!! In North Carolina an 'out of state' licence is only good for 60 days.

Why this country cannot have a National licence is beyond me :unsure:

Neil.

Neil (Preston, England) & Eva (North Carolina, USA)

27 September 2003 Church Wedding, England.

8 October 2004 -INTERVIEW---VISA GRANTED !!!

(Intervening time covered in VJ -Timeline Section)

10 Dec 2004 - Saturn finally came out of orbit and landed in NC !

(Check timeline for intervening period)

8th February 2006 - 'GREEN CARD' FINALLY GRANTED AT INTERVIEW IN CHARLOTTE, NC.

5th Wedding Anniversary due later this year, on 27th September 2008 - How time flies !

I am not a Lawyer and have never wanted or professed to be one. The views and comments I may express here are entirely my own and without any intended legal standing.

If you move from one State to be resident in another State you have to take some tests there also (usually only the written ones....)!! In North Carolina an 'out of state' licence is only good for 60 days.

Neil.

It's becuase each state has different road laws. Someone told me when I was visiting Michigan that it's illegal to make a left-hand turn, even at a traffic light with no oncoming traffic. To me, that's just crazy... but if you're from somewhere else you wouldn't know that law.

I heard it is easier to pass in the US. Is this true? I have never driven in the U.K. but it seems unavoidable in GA.

As you have never driven in the UK, then you might find it easier here, cos your not used to driving on the other side of the car or the road............The driving bit in my brain gets confused by this :unsure:

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

As you have never driven in the UK, then you might find it easier here, cos your not used to driving on the other side of the car or the road............The driving bit in my brain gets confused by this :unsure:

Well apart from ten lessons a long time ago i have not driven in the u.k. I actually work as a "pusher" for a left hand drive road sweeper. I sit on the right and people often think i am the driver. I get confused as a passenger changing from one country to the other. Hopefully i can pass quickly as i need to drive for work it seems. I also want to learn how to drive under the influence as i see Georgia has DUI schools. :lol:

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Filed: Timeline

Neil,

Because the United States is a union of individual states (hence the name), each of which tends to its own affairs except on issues that can only be, or are agreeably best, handled at the higher level.

Licensing people to drive is not such an issue.

Yodrak

Neil.

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I work for a carsharing company and we require applicants licensed outside of the US to provide us with a driving record. They're really easy to get from the UK. Here's all you need to do:

Contact the DVLA at +44 1792 310 075 to have your record faxed, or send a cheque for £5.00 to:

Mrs. L. Evans

Data Subject Enquiries, CED, C1, DVLA

Swansea SA6 7JL

May 2003 - Met in Vegas

October 2004 - First trip to England to see Nigel

November 24, 2005 - Engaged!

December 13, 2005 - Sent I-129

December 16, 2005 - I-129 received in Vermont

December 19, 2005 - NOA1

January 3, 2005 - NOA2

January 27, 2006 - Packet 3 received

February 9, 2006 - Packet 3 sent back

March 13, 2006 - Medical appointment

March 23, 2006 - Packet 4 received

April 18, 2006 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!

June 21, 2006 - Nigel arrives!

July 12, 2006 - Applied for SSN

July 14, 2006 - Married at courthouse

July 19, 2006 - Received SSN

August 8, 2006 - Filed for AOS and EAD

August 17, 2006 - Received NOA

September 2, 2006 - Received notice that case was transferred to CSC

September 5, 2006 - Biometrics appt

September 30, 2006 - Official wedding with friends and family - woohoo!

October 12, 2006 - Received email that case was approved

October 16, 2006 - GC arrived!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.