yabasta

How soon before SS number is issued?

8 posts in this topic

Hi

My situation is pretty tough because i will need to work as soon as possible after entering the U.S. I understand some people have had to wait and then reapply for a SS card. I wonder if you get a number straight away in such cases and if you can actually work with the number only in that case? Do employers usually want the actual card or will they understand that there is a process to go through?

I am after any information regarding this as i am doing the CR1 pretty much because i want to work straight away and i hope this does not cause problems for me. I know it will be financially tight to begin with but i need to earn asap.

thanks in advance

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

you will most likely not get the SSN number right away .... your best bet is to go into the SSN office a few weeks after you move to the US and apply for a number.. they send the card to you in about a week....

I am sure if you explain your situation the employer would understand ...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

there is a bit of a wait it does not happen with the "snap" of your fingers :) but I didnt have to wait too long. Once I got it (had EAD) then i went to work asap, they required both cards, and photo copied both

good luck !

May God's Grace be all you will ever need ticker.png

Hi

My situation is pretty tough because i will need to work as soon as possible after entering the U.S. I understand some people have had to wait and then reapply for a SS card. I wonder if you get a number straight away in such cases and if you can actually work with the number only in that case? Do employers usually want the actual card or will they understand that there is a process to go through?

I am after any information regarding this as i am doing the CR1 pretty much because i want to work straight away and i hope this does not cause problems for me. I know it will be financially tight to begin with but i need to earn asap.

thanks in advance

Give it 3 weeks from getting your greencard,Green card should arrive fast then go to the social security office, I checked the box on the DS-230, and they didnt send me 1, so i had to go to the office, :thumbs:

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: Timeline

Did you check off on the DS-230 to be assigned an SSN?

If you answered “yes” to being assigned an SSN on form DS-230 when applying for an immigrant visa and you have not receive your SSN card within 3 weeks of being admitted to the United States, we suggest that you go into your local Social Security office. Otherwise, you can apply as soon as you arrive.

Be sure to take proof of age, identity and work authorization when going into a Social Security office to inquiry about the status of your SSN or to submit an application. Birth certificate and I-551 card or passport along with Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language.

The unexpired immigration documents I-551 card or Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language establish employment authorization.

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number (“A” number) as the “Registration Number” in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

The MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the above statement and is endorsed with an admission stamp the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp and is valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp.

Example:

If the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2004, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2005. The expiration date on the MRIV should not be used to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

If you apply at the SSA office your status/documents must be verified before SSA will assign an SSN and/or issue a card.

The SSA office will try to verify your status through the SAVE system while you are in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845 to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the assigning

of an SSN and/or issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, I suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the application is certified to assign the SSN you need to allow at least 2 weeks to receive the card, but you can normally go back to the office the next day to find out the number.

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/paperq&a.htm#ein

Q. How can I make sure that the employee's SSN and name given to me are correct?

A. You should ask to see the SSN card, although the employee is not required to show the card unless it is readily available. You should record the name and SSN shown on the card in your business' personnel and payroll records that will be used to prepare W-2 reports.

Q. What do I do if an employee says he has an SSN card but no card can be produced?

A. Tell the employee to provide his/her name as it appears on the SSN card, otherwise the employee may not get the proper credit for his/her earnings. Also tell the employee to apply for a duplicate card at any local Social Security office. He or she should receive the card in the mail within two weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...=129227,00.html

Delays in Issuing SSNs to Aliens by the Social Security Administration

There is no federal law administered by any federal agency which prohibits the hiring of a person based solely on the fact that the person does not have a Social Security Number (SSN). Similarly, there is no federal law which prohibits the making of a payment to a person based solely on the fact that the person does not have an SSN.

However, there are federal laws and regulations which require the reporting of a payee's TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number--SSN or ITIN) on federal information returns and payee statements such as forms W-2...

The IRS is quite aware of the Social Security Administration's new procedures effective since 09-30-2002 about not issuing an SSN to any alien for whom it cannot confirm his identity and immigration status from the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). In addition, the IRS is quite aware of the potential delays in securing an SSN which these new procedures may cause some aliens. Furthermore, in the situation in which an alien is work-authorized under the immigration law and has met the Social Security Administration's evidence requirements for an SSN, but who is experiencing delays in securing an SSN caused by the SSA's new procedures, the IRS will not generally issue an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) to such an alien.

With respect to IRS penalties related to the payer's failure to furnish a payee TIN on an information return and on a payee statement, the fact that the payer does not have a payee TIN to report solely because the SSA is delaying an issuance of an SSN, or cannot issue an SSN, to a work-authorized alien because of its new procedures, will cause the IRS to be quite favorable toward considering this situation one in which "reasonable cause" exists for not asserting such penalties. The payer should keep documentation to show that his failure to supply a payee TIN is caused solely by the SSA's new procedures for issuing SSN's to aliens.

The IRS cannot speak to the issue of potential penalties which could be imposed by other federal, state, or local agencies for the failure of an employer or payer to report a payee's TIN on any required documents, except to note that the filing of the immigration Form I-9 without an SSN does not constitute grounds, in and of itself, to reject the validity of the Form I-9. If an alien employee can prove his work-eligibility with documents listed on Form I-9 other than a U.S. social security card, then the alien's Form I-9, even though submitted without an SSN, is valid under the immigration law

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

yabasta,

Do you have a job waiting? Know your employer?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

yabasta,

No i don`t have an employer but i will have a sense of urgency in finding one even if i have to take a crappy job to begin with. Going weeks without an SS number is going to be tough going financially speaking aswell. Somebody said it doesn`t happen at the click of my fingers but i think it should be pretty much straight away. Number vacant number used. Not rocket science. Should not have expected anything to be easy though at this stage..

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

yabasta,

No i don`t have an employer but i will have a sense of urgency in finding one even if i have to take a crappy job to begin with. Going weeks without an SS number is going to be tough going financially speaking aswell. Somebody said it doesn`t happen at the click of my fingers but i think it should be pretty much straight away. Number vacant number used. Not rocket science. Should not have expected anything to be easy though at this stage..

this freakin' reply is cursed! Twice it has not gone thru. (scratch that---fifth try--I am DETERMINED)

This is the short version:

you can be hired, work and get paid w/out a SS# if you have applied for it. The info is on ssa.gov. There is a current thread on the topic.

errrr.. it really was a better reply before.

:hehe:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.