AmyStan

Childrens' birth certs falsely stating a date/place of marriage

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. My fiancee was with someone for several years, but never married. They had two children. She has had no contact with him for 9 years now. When checking the childrens' birth certificates to get passports, she noticed that there was a date and place of marriage listed on them. It turns out that her ex put that on the forms when applying for the BCs. He actually put different places of marriage on each one (I guess he couldn't remember what he lied about the first time).

She has subsequently obtained a "certificate of singleness" proving she has never been married. Since the statement of marriage on the BC isn't proof of marriage, and the certificate of singless proves she has never been married, I'm thinking she should be okay for her K1. Do you agree?

As for the kids when we get the follow-to-join visas, do you think we will have any trouble with those?

She went to a lawyer to see about correcting the BCs and was told it would cost 30-50,000 PHP, not including court costs. We will do that if necessary, of course, but it seems pretty high to prove something that the certificate of singleness should prove.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I never would have believed my journey to happiness would begin with something called an "I-129F"

03/19/09 - I-129F Sent

03/20/09 - NOA1 (rec'd harcopy 3/26/09)

03/24/09 - Check cleared

03/25/09 - Touched

8/12/09 - Touched (4 hours before NOA2 email)

8/12/09 - NOA2 email received

***Received email at noon (Weds)

***USCIS site did update with the status

***Was 113 on Berkeley list; 156 on VJ list

Hi everyone. My fiancee was with someone for several years, but never married. They had two children. She has had no contact with him for 9 years now. When checking the childrens' birth certificates to get passports, she noticed that there was a date and place of marriage listed on them. It turns out that her ex put that on the forms when applying for the BCs. He actually put different places of marriage on each one (I guess he couldn't remember what he lied about the first time).

She has subsequently obtained a "certificate of singleness" proving she has never been married. Since the statement of marriage on the BC isn't proof of marriage, and the certificate of singless proves she has never been married, I'm thinking she should be okay for her K1. Do you agree?

As for the kids when we get the follow-to-join visas, do you think we will have any trouble with those?

She went to a lawyer to see about correcting the BCs and was told it would cost 30-50,000 PHP, not including court costs. We will do that if necessary, of course, but it seems pretty high to prove something that the certificate of singleness should prove.

It would be better if you fix the BC ASAP. And get another lawyer. That's too expensive.

Here are the two arguments you might receive, though hypothetical:

The CENOMAR could be fake. There are people who could get a CENOMAR with NSO paper even though been married to someone else.

Different places for place of marriage, one could be real and another one could be an honest mistake from the father.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

It would be better if you fix the BC ASAP. And get another lawyer. That's too expensive.

Here are the two arguments you might receive, though hypothetical:

The CENOMAR could be fake. There are people who could get a CENOMAR with NSO paper even though been married to someone else.

Different places for place of marriage, one could be real and another one could be an honest mistake from the father.

I second this vote! :blink: :blink:

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Timeline

I don't have any doubts that she was never married. Telling me she lived with someone out of wedlock isn't better than saying she was married. But my point is that the BC is just that, a certificate of birth and not a certificate of marriage. The CENOMAR is the legal document stating whether a marriage took place. One could have a child and name Brad Pitt as the father (along with a date/place of marriage), but would have a hard time using that as proof of marriage to old Brad.

I do see how it can cause confusion during the process and that's the reason for my question.

I never would have believed my journey to happiness would begin with something called an "I-129F"

03/19/09 - I-129F Sent

03/24/09 - Check cleared

03/25/09 - Touched

I don't have any doubts that she was never married. Telling me she lived with someone out of wedlock isn't better than saying she was married. But my point is that the BC is just that, a certificate of birth and not a certificate of marriage. The CENOMAR is the legal document stating whether a marriage took place. One could have a child and name Brad Pitt as the father (along with a date/place of marriage), but would have a hard time using that as proof of marriage to old Brad.

I do see how it can cause confusion during the process and that's the reason for my question.

We are trying to be delicate, but you have to consider the possibilities, because the USEM certainly will. Your fiancee does fit a certain profile, and may face a fraud inquiry, even if everything she told you is true. It will take a court to change the birth certificates, and the USEM will presume a common law marriage for your fiancee.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance also had the same issue as yours. I'm not sure if it will affect you getting the K2.

But my asawa could not get the passport for her daughter becasue of the BC. We had to pay someone about 400 USD to get this fixed for us, I think it took about 6 weeks for the court and another month for the NSO to print it. Like I said it was the passport that was the issue here, also Im sure the children will need permission from the biological father to travel. I would start trying to get it fixed ASAP. My asawa is here now in the states, and her kids have thier interview here in a afew weeks. Her parents are bringing them the US, so we also had to do a DSWD for them. Just a few things for you to think about. Good luck on your visa process.

Timeline

I appreciate all the responses, and didn't mean to come off defensive. All good things to think about. The money really wasn't as concerning as the timeframe. She was quoted 4 to 6 months to get it fixed. We can do that in time for the children, but I am hoping her interview will be before that. We'll start getting it corrected this week.

Again, I really appreciate all responses. Y'all are great!

03/19/09 - I-129F Sent

03/24/09 - Check cleared

03/25/09 - Touched

If you are planning to petition her kids too have the BC corrected before the court. The price is too expensive because usually petitions to correct the BC comes in package including court costs...maximum would probably be about 20 to 30 thousand but again it also depends where your fiancee is.Lawyers in big cities charge more than in the provinces.

The correction should take 4 to 6 months and her best piece of evidence not being married to be presented in court is her CENOMAR.

Goodluck.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

I appreciate all the responses, and didn't mean to come off defensive. All good things to think about. The money really wasn't as concerning as the timeframe. She was quoted 4 to 6 months to get it fixed. We can do that in time for the children, but I am hoping her interview will be before that. We'll start getting it corrected this week.

Again, I really appreciate all responses. Y'all are great!

Depends on Court Schedule. If you are raffled in a court that has too many backlog case, yours will go at the bottom of the pile. Find a good lawyer that might have a good connection inside the Regional Trial Court or Municipal Trial Court.. maybe they can fix the "raffle" and it may go to a friendlier judge.

Either way, she must find the father because the DSWD will not issue certificate for them to travel. In some cases, they even require both parents to attend the request to travel for minors.

And not to rain on your parade, it is VERY prevalent here to buy Certificate of Non-Marriage for a not so expensive fee. And they look exactly like the real ones too. So, it would be best to clear this issue up in court, just to be sure.

If you are planning to petition her kids too have the BC corrected before the court. The price is too expensive because usually petitions to correct the BC comes in package including court costs...maximum would probably be about 20 to 30 thousand but again it also depends where your fiancee is.Lawyers in big cities charge more than in the provinces.

The correction should take 4 to 6 months and her best piece of evidence not being married to be presented in court is her CENOMAR.

Goodluck.

Listen to Jom.

She does know what she is talking about.

We had a similiar issue with my Fiance BC, we had to pay like $300 to NSO to fix the problem.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It might raise a question from the CO why the kids have different dates of marriage on their Birth Certificates but if she has CENOMAR from NSO and other proofs that she and her ex didnt get married,she might get away with it but these are all depends upon the CO....and this is just my guess.It would be better if their birth certs will get fixed.I had the one error on my BC and add Ma. on my first name last year without bribing somebody from NSO nor from the city hall thru RA9048.Tell your fiancee to go to the local civil registry where she registered the BC of her kids so she can get it fixed ASAP,it took mine 4mos and i only paid less than php5,000 for everything.

good luck.

Edited by ManilaIdaho

Timeline

More good advice and, again, very much appreciated. She will go tomorrow to DSWD to find out more, as well as to determine what an appropriate fee is. She went to the civil registry and they were the ones to tell her it would cost 50,000 or more. She then checked with a friend with a local court who referred her to someone who gave her a 30,000 PHP quote. We'll pay what is required, and get it fixed as soon as possible. If it isn't fixed before her interview, we'll cross our fingers, but at least will have started the process. And we definitely don't want any problems bringing her children here. Contacting her ex isn't something she wants to do (he was very abusive), but she will if that's necessary. Thanks again.

03/19/09 - I-129F Sent

03/24/09 - Check cleared

03/25/09 - Touched

More good advice and, again, very much appreciated. She will go tomorrow to DSWD to find out more, as well as to determine what an appropriate fee is. She went to the civil registry and they were the ones to tell her it would cost 50,000 or more. She then checked with a friend with a local court who referred her to someone who gave her a 30,000 PHP quote. We'll pay what is required, and get it fixed as soon as possible. If it isn't fixed before her interview, we'll cross our fingers, but at least will have started the process. And we definitely don't want any problems bringing her children here. Contacting her ex isn't something she wants to do (he was very abusive), but she will if that's necessary. Thanks again.

After the BCs are fixed and it can be proved that she has never married the father of her kids, then she has sole custody of them and need not contact the father for purposes of bringing the children here.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have the same issue with my two sons because their father was the one who registered their births. Then he put a date of marriage and place of marriage in both BC's. When I went to USEM for interview of my K-3, the first question of the CO was about the father of the children. Now, she did not make any comment on the date of marriage and place of marriage, even if it appeared there. She asked me why are the children not coming with me to US, and I told her that I still have to change their family names back to mine. She said the USEM has no business with it if it is my concern. They dont mind the family names of the children. Maybe because they really saw from my CENOMAR (they will verify from NSO on their own too, right?) that I was never married before. I gave them my CENOMAR before I got married and I gave them the new CENOMAR which appears that I am only married to my husband now. So far, so good, there were no negative questions.

Timeline

Just an update on what we were advised to do by an attorney, in case anyone else runs into this. My fiancee has gone to the city halls of the so-called marriages to obtain a copy of the marriage certificates. Of course that comes back empty since there are no marriage certificates (the marriage never took place). She will then go with the attorney to court and petition to have the BCs changed with removal of the dates/places of marriage. She'll use these results from the city halls, as well as the CENOMAR, as proof. The process can take from 4-6 months, but at least we're getting it started and we're asking to have it expedited.

It might not be necessary based on some of the suggestions here. But we'll have it just in case. If she gets her interview before the change is made to the BCs, she'll use the same evidence as proof that she was never married (if they even ask, and they might not). We should definitely have it fixed by the time we get the follow-to-join visas for the kids.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

03/19/09 - I-129F Sent

03/24/09 - Check cleared

03/25/09 - Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.