TracyTN

'Chip' on credit cards?

31 posts in this topic

So my good friend Girona40 told me that when she went back to the UK in May, she was surprised to find that they wouldn't accept her hubby's American credit card because it doesn't have a 'chip' on it. I'm sure you UKers know that this is something new they have started (can't remember how recently) but this was the first I had heard of it. I think Chas just assumed we had them, too, cos he never mentioned it until I asked. Leave it to the US to be behind - again! :lol:

None of my credit cards have this 'chip', which means I'll be taking more cash over than I had planned on. I just wasn't sure if any other USCs here had heard of this, and thought it might spare you some grief if you have an upcoming trip over. I was very grateful for the info!

Hope it helps, and all apologies if this is 'old news'. :blush:

SA4userbar.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we all carry the mark here in the U.K. now. I found it odd that it had not reached America yet but i am sure it is coming. Just be sure to resist them if they want you to put one in your body.

Edited by yabasta

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

The chip + pin situation came on the 14th of Feb... That your friends card was not accepted is quite unusual, as most of the shops can still swipe your cards... My mum was over for three weeks not long ago, and she hasn't got chip + pin and she coul pay in most places with her credit card... The only shop she encountered a problem with was in an Outlet, where the sales lady wanted to do a manual approval, but if you explain that you are not a resident here they can sure wsipe it... If not, you will be able to get money out of ATM's with no problem at all...

US.gifVenezuela.gifUK.gif

dogdogcbu20090513_-30_My%20child%20is.png

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

The chip + pin situation came on the 14th of Feb... That your friends card was not accepted is quite unusual, as most of the shops can still swipe your cards... My mum was over for three weeks not long ago, and she hasn't got chip + pin and she coul pay in most places with her credit card... The only shop she encountered a problem with was in an Outlet, where the sales lady wanted to do a manual approval, but if you explain that you are not a resident here they can sure wsipe it... If not, you will be able to get money out of ATM's with no problem at all...

That's good to know, thanks! :D I'm taking mostly cash, and there are a few things (tickets for attractions) that I can get online with my card. But I am not going to plan on the kindness of strangers taking pity on my tourist a$$. :lol:

Cash is fine by me - no extra 'charges' for the currency exchange that way, either!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Did you get a good airfare deal? What airline? I'm looking to head over in November. Hoping the prices go down a bit. Cheapest I've seen so far is Virgin Atlantic.

Thanks for the info about the credit cards!

Have a wonderful time!

Hold on to what is good even if it is a handful of earth.

Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.

Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.

Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.

Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you.

--Pueblo Blessing

ticker.png

ticker.png

Thanks Wrenly!! :)

And no, I didn't get a good deal on airfare!! :lol: Mainly because I am flying in the summer (after Memorial day and before Labor Day), which means rates are as high as they can be. Also I don't fly out of a major airport (Nashville, then O'hare/Heathrow), so I have a connection to add to the cost as well. Anyway, I'm flying American. We got annoyed with United after his first time here. American is the only other one w/ decent fares from Nashvegas.

I'm also looking at going back in November. Looks like it'll be $750 round trip, though that may go down some as we get out of summer. (That's about $120 more than I paid last year when I went in September.)

You should do pretty well on Virgin, esp. if you fly out of a major airport w/out a connection. They only fly to Gatwick, though, which rules it out for me (fiance lives a stones throw from Heathrow).

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks Wrenly!! :)

And no, I didn't get a good deal on airfare!! :lol: Mainly because I am flying in the summer (after Memorial day and before Labor Day), which means rates are as high as they can be. Also I don't fly out of a major airport (Nashville, then O'hare/Heathrow), so I have a connection to add to the cost as well. Anyway, I'm flying American. We got annoyed with United after his first time here. American is the only other one w/ decent fares from Nashvegas.

I'm also looking at going back in November. Looks like it'll be $750 round trip, though that may go down some as we get out of summer. (That's about $120 more than I paid last year when I went in September.)

You should do pretty well on Virgin, esp. if you fly out of a major airport w/out a connection. They only fly to Gatwick, though, which rules it out for me (fiance lives a stones throw from Heathrow).

Sorry to keep taking this off topic, but I think Virgin does go to Heathrow:

PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR OUTBOUND FLIGHT

Departs Arrives Flight Cabin / Fare Type Duration

New York (JFK)London (LHR)VS026 Economy (lowest) 6:40 Hrs

10 NOV 07:30 10 NOV 19:10

You might want to double check on their site. I LOVE flying with them!

Hold on to what is good even if it is a handful of earth.

Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.

Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.

Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.

Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you.

--Pueblo Blessing

ticker.png

ticker.png

Thanks Wrenly, will do! :thumbs: Though where it becomes complicated for me is the connection. Sure, I can get a decent flight from JFK to LHR; but then add on a flight from BNA to JFK -on a different airline - reclaim bag, recheck with Virgin - it almost becomes more trouble than its worth to me.

Unfortunately. :(

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline
So my good friend Girona40 told me that when she went back to the UK in May, she was surprised to find that they wouldn't accept her hubby's American credit card because it doesn't have a 'chip' on it. I'm sure you UKers know that this is something new they have started (can't remember how recently) but this was the first I had heard of it. I think Chas just assumed we had them, too, cos he never mentioned it until I asked. Leave it to the US to be behind - again! :lol:

None of my credit cards have this 'chip', which means I'll be taking more cash over than I had planned on. I just wasn't sure if any other USCs here had heard of this, and thought it might spare you some grief if you have an upcoming trip over. I was very grateful for the info!

Hope it helps, and all apologies if this is 'old news'. :blush:

Did this begin as a mandatory item? --- when I was in Northern England last Dec/Jan they said that it will soon be required that all credit cards have chips on them. Was there an AS OF DATE out there for not accepting the US style cards? I did not have any problems getting cash or using my card to pay for purchases. I will need to get some Pounds prior to leaving the states so I dont run into any problems ---

02/23/05 - Met as Friends

09/29/05 - Married in Victoria BC Canada

11/04/05 - File I-130

11/18/05 - NOA1 I -130

12/08/05 - File 1-129F

12/13/05 - NOA1 I-129F

01/09/06 - APPROVAL I-129F

03/23/06 - I-130 APPROVAL

03/23/06 - K3 interview in Vancouver, Canada

03/23/06 - K3 denied due to CMIT 23 years prior

03/23/06 - i-601 Waiver Submitted

04/07/06 - NOA1 for I-601 Waiver received

10/18/06 - I-601 Approved out of Vermont

11/27/06 - 10:00 appointment at Vancouver Consulate for Visa Stamp

11/27/06 - Arrive home 8.5 hours after crossing the border in Blaine Washington, due to horrible show storm --- we were happy to be home

01/04/07 - AOS sent off

01/10/07 - NOA - 1-485

01/25/07 - RFE for I-824 - used and outdated form

02/14/07 - Get email stating Post Office has Address posted as Vacant from the USCIS

02/16/07 - Hubby gets WA State Drivers Licence

03/05/07 - AOS appointment April 19, 2007 Seattle

04/13/07 - Biometrics Taken for AOS

04/19/07 - AOS interview - Approved pending name check

04/23 - 05/28 - 5 additional appointments with the Seattle USCIS office - to clear up the EAD issue

05/15/07 - 90 Day EAD Arrives

06/10/07 - EAD/Green Card approval letter arrives

06/15/07 - EAD arrives

06/23/07 - 2 year conditional Green Card Arrives

I'm not sure, ktmmansgal. Once I was told this by Girona40, I asked my fiance, who had heard what anytaholland said (that the effective date was 14 Feb) but little else. He had no idea that US cards didn't have them.

From what anytaholland just posted about her mum's experiences recently - as well as Girona40's experience in May, it almost sounds like it could be on a merchant to merchant basis or something. :blink: I need to Google this, see what I can come up with, too.

But yeah, I'm definitely going to be leaning more heavily on cash for this trip!

SA4userbar.jpg

The chip should nto effect the ATM though so you should be able to just get cash and spend that. I would suggest somebody with a non chipped card performs an experiment for all non chipped people.

Sounds like the ATMs are only supposed to be about halfway converted at this point. So that's another way around it, although I almost cringe to think of the surcharge my bank would charge me for the pleasure of using an ATM over there! So I think I'll get my cash out before I leave the states!

Article

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
The chip should nto effect the ATM though so you should be able to just get cash and spend that. I would suggest somebody with a non chipped card performs an experiment for all non chipped people.

You can certainly use your US credit card in ATM's in England. It wasn't ALL merchants that refused to take it - those that had the old manual style of making a credit transaction had no problem. But, several places would not take it, saying it was not "legal" for them to do so, after the 1st May 06. Not sure how true this is, but it made for frustrating shopping that's for sure.

Mind you - we did get a free round of drinks when we went into one bar and ordered lunch. We had our drinks while we chose from the menu and then, when we came to pay, they said they couldn't take the card because it wasn't "chipped". Hey Ho!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.