lifeisbigger

marriage woes after entry into u.s.

34 posts in this topic

not all cultures are the same.. Its hard for us to imagine someone being an outcast for a situation like hers. But that is exactly what she would be if she returned. To simply say she should just go back home is harsh. My ex husband was from Sri lanka, and he never told any of his family about our marriage, he just dropped out of their lives withouat a word. it wasnt because he was ashamed.. but for him it was better to let them think he was dead, than to face their rejection. He had a younger sister that would have an arranged married soon, and he said if the villiage new of our marriage, she would also be considered outcast and would not find a suitable husband. He said his family would consider him dead to all of them if they knew. I had a difficult time accepting that a family could be this way. But its true, in cultures like these its more important to have a good reputation in the community than to accept your childs decisions.

To the original poster, Kudos to you for having a compassionate heart. I hope that everything works out in the end for this lady.

Good Luck

vicki/bala

While this is not a reply to the OP's question, I thought of dropping a note as a Sri Lankan myself. It is always troubling to have people generalize a whole country or a nation based on their experiences, and to lump all countries in a region together. Sure, there would be families/areas where marrying a "foreigner" is still considered a bad thing. But I do not know that I would call the whole society that. Also, if your ex thought if dropping out without contact would keep his family/social circle in the dark about his marriage - I would take it with a large grain of salt, unless he came from a very very very rural part of the country. We are a small country, and it is usually less than three degrees of separation, as we joke about it :P

Removal of Conditions - Nebraska Service Center

2/23/07 I-751 Notice date

3/23/07 NOA received (typo in name)

3/29/07 Biometric appointment received. Requested rescheduling

4/05/07 Second biometrics appointment received

4/18/07 Biometrics

4/19/07 Case status updated

2/23/08 Petition Congressman - no additional info.

3/03/08 Infopass in Chicago (12-mo extension)

3/19/08 Petition Senator's office

4/01/08 Case transferred - to an unspecified "USCIS office" (e-mail)

4/12/08 Letter - transferred to CSC on 3/27/2008. (typo in name)

4/22/08 Current Status: Card production ordered

4/25/08 Current Status: Approval notice sent; letter from Senator's office - expect 30-60 day wait for USCIS response!

4/26/08 Card arrives (with typo in name)

4/28/08 Card sent back via registered post (mistake to use Reg Post!)

5/05/08 Package delivered at Laguna Niguel, CA

10/02/08 Corrected 10-yr card issued

I-485

03/10/05 AOS interview in Chicago. Conditional PR (2-yr).

03/17/05 CPR card arrives in the mail

AOS thru Chicago DO (from non-immigrant visa category)

7/08/04 Mailed I-130, I-485 & I-765

7/20/04 Fingerprints/biometrics completed.

8/17/04 EAD approved

runcatqe4.jpg

Disclaimer: We are NOT lawyers by profession and all our posts should be viewed with that in mind.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've figured out the code!

AM must mean American Men, and AW must mean American women.

"AM are not animals just because they don't want to submit to the greed and servitude demanded by the AW."

I think this means: American Men beat American Women becuase the women are greedy and demand servitude, when everyone knows it's the woman who has to be the subservient one.

Well, if that's his take on it, no wonder he doesn'tlike IMBRA. Now he wont be able to keep some unlucky girl around as his subservient little slave/power trip.

You're right on the money.

I do agree, verifiable abusive situations are terrible and anyone in these situations must leave them but I do have concerns as to how IMBRA regulates fraudulent use of the abuse "card" (i.e. claiming abuse where there was no abuse)? So far all I have heard/read is that IMBRA not only makes it easier to claim abuse but also tells HOW to become a US Citizen AFTER claiming abuse! (IMBRA 2005, care to answer that for me?)

AGAIN in a truely abusive situation this is wonderful and would have helped my ex upon her arrival with an alcoholic and abusive man (fully documented by the State of Arizona as Child Protection Service became involved), unfortunately this information was not as available in the mid-1990s when she arrived!

Edited by Marc and Olga

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: Timeline
I do agree in that verifiable abusive situations are terrible and anyone in these situations must leave, but I do have concerns as to how IMBRA regulates fraudulent use of the "abuse card" (i.e. claiming abuse where there was no abuse). So far, all I have heard/read is that IMBRA not only makes it easier to claim abuse, but that it also tells immigrants HOW to become US Citizens AFTER claiming abuse (IMBRA 2005)! Care to answer that one for me?

For one, a fraudulent immigrant would find it very hard to claim and prove abuse against his/her USC spouse as an easy way to get out of their marriage and obtain a GC. At the same time, it's a double edged sword. Those immigrants that DO claim abuse where it's not merited against the USC spouse who was cleared by the USCIS as being non-violent/abusive prior to marriage, is right away suspect of entering into marriage fraudulently, so OF COURSE it makes it easier to claim abuse! The same law that says it will help them, is the same one that condemns them in the end.

AGAIN, this is wonderful in a truly abusive situation and would have helped my ex upon her arrival, with an alcoholic and abusive man (fully documented by the State of Arizona, as Child Protection Services became involved). Unfortunately, this information was not available in the mid '90s, when she arrived!

Remember there are two sides to every story and that it's very easy for any woman in any state to claim abuse/harrassment/stalking and get/have a restraining order served and granted against her ex-boyfriend/lover/husband.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Who cares how people view her back in her native country of Nepal? Why do you care? Shouldn't you be more worried about your friend's situation, instead of his wife's?

My advice to her is: go back home.

#######?!!! :huh::blink:

My advice is for no one to listen to your advice.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.