MsAnn

How can I prove I paid my ticket?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hey guys,...

Back in 2000, I was a wild child (j/k) :innocent: who got a ticket while traveling in PA. I was pulled over by the highway patrol on an interstate who told me I had been speeding and gave me a ticket. The ticket said to mail payment to ### I don't remember but anyway, I DO remember mailing in the payment with a check. It was under $500. Now, I no longer have any evidence that I paid it except my word. I tried to get info on the ticket. Ok, here is the part I'm not sure about. I tried to get records from the PA state police (criminal record check) and all the paper says is my name, ssn, and dob, saying there is no criminal record. :unsure: Is this because it's been 8-9 yrs and they clear out those records, or did I get a record check from the wrong authority, or was there probably never any record... ??? I'm so confused.

Is this letter saying I have no record proof enough that I paid that ticket?

If not, what can I do? :unsure:

When I got the ticket, I was living in AR at the time. I now live in OR. I don't know if AR will give me a copy of my AR driving record if I don't live there?? Sorry, I'm kind of a dunce about these things...

The above is not legal advice.

It is either from research or merely my opinion.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Erm - why do you need proof to show you paid a ticket?

Are you getting something in the mail saying you haven't paid?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

No, I just want substantial proof that I paid it. I know it CLEARLY states that you don't need documentation for tickets under $500, but that CIS officers have asked for proof anyway. I'm covering all my bases here, I don't want ANY reason that I can help that my application for citizenship gets delayed/denied, etc... :wacko:

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Hey guys,...

Back in 2000, I was a wild child (j/k) :innocent: who got a ticket while traveling in PA. I was pulled over by the highway patrol on an interstate who told me I had been speeding and gave me a ticket. The ticket said to mail payment to ### I don't remember but anyway, I DO remember mailing in the payment with a check. It was under $500. Now, I no longer have any evidence that I paid it except my word. I tried to get info on the ticket. Ok, here is the part I'm not sure about. I tried to get records from the PA state police (criminal record check) and all the paper says is my name, ssn, and dob, saying there is no criminal record. :unsure: Is this because it's been 8-9 yrs and they clear out those records, or did I get a record check from the wrong authority, or was there probably never any record... ??? I'm so confused.

Is this letter saying I have no record proof enough that I paid that ticket?

If not, what can I do? :unsure:

When I got the ticket, I was living in AR at the time. I now live in OR. I don't know if AR will give me a copy of my AR driving record if I don't live there?? Sorry, I'm kind of a dunce about these things...

Probably getting the copy of DMV driving record from your own residing State DMV will be enough.

If you want, you can dig up your Bank statement to check the copy of returned/canceled check for payment proof.

Your DMV driving record will show last 7 years' record of your ticket within U.S. since they will record the info using your driver license.

So probably your record in year 2000 may be removed from DMV driving record.

If your ticket is mere speeding/parking ticket, usually USCIS officer will not care much unless it is very habitual recurring habit.

When I had my interview, I told USCIS officer that I had a couple of speed tickets, and he just checked whether there is any DUI/DWI related one.

When I said, "no, only speed tickets", he just wrote down "speed ticket only", and went ahead without a problem.

If you didn't pay the speed ticket in 2000, your driver license should be revoked long time ago. :whistle:

Timeline

Thank you so much! I'll attempt to get a driving record from AR.

Edited by MsAnn

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

You need to go to the local police station that is in the town or city you live in. They can pull a record for you. Since all the systems are connected they can give you a report regardless of where you got your ticket. 7 years is max that a ticket stays on your record. The usually purge the systems after that. SOmetimes it stays on your record, if they are too lazy and have not cleaned it up. It's been 8 years you stated so that's probably why it does not show up on your record.

The record does show up on the federal system, so it's a good thing to mention it. And you need to just mention it on your form, no need to show any proof. If asked, you can then show them the driving record you get from your local police department. They know that it's out of the system after 5 to 7 years. Good luck.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Timeline
You need to go to the local police station that is in the town or city you live in. They can pull a record for you. Since all the systems are connected they can give you a report regardless of where you got your ticket. 7 years is max that a ticket stays on your record. The usually purge the systems after that. SOmetimes it stays on your record, if they are too lazy and have not cleaned it up. It's been 8 years you stated so that's probably why it does not show up on your record.

The record does show up on the federal system, so it's a good thing to mention it. And you need to just mention it on your form, no need to show any proof. If asked, you can then show them the driving record you get from your local police department. They know that it's out of the system after 5 to 7 years. Good luck.

Thank you for the detailed information. I mentioned the ticket on my N400 and even attached a letter explaining it was just speeding (not dui, etc).

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Good deal. Your on the right track.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

i submitted my n400 last march. i did not mention about my 2 speeding tickets because i thought it is not supposed to because i only paid $80 each ticket. am i not in the right track? im now worried.

i submitted my n400 last march. i did not mention about my 2 speeding tickets because i thought it is not supposed to because i only paid $80 each ticket. am i not in the right track? im now worried.

You can still fix the situation if you're worried. You can bring evidence and tell the IO during the interview, and the IO will decide if those are relevant to the decision or not.

There had been discussions about disclosing parking/speeding ticket or not. Some people say disclose it and prepare to bring evidence to the interview. Some people say they only require to disclose ticket over $500. Anyways, disclose it or not is up to you.

Refer to below links for the discussions:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=189014

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188591

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.