Nigeria22

CR-1/IR-1 Name Change Issues

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

What does my wife need to do to go about changing her surname to mine once in the United States?

My wife and I were married in China where there is no custom of the wife taking her husband's family name. Now she has successfully received her CR-1 visa and we will be relocating to the US later this year. I realize now that we probably could have used my surname on all the douments we filed during the application process and listed her surname in the alias or maiden name categories but at the time I thought everything had to follow her passport.

When her Social Secuity card and Green Card arrive they will all list her maiden name.

Can we file an I-90 in the States to change her green card surname to mine even though we were married back in 2007? Can I do the same for her Social Security Card (and which of these should be changed first)?

I have read that for the I-90 and SSC change you need to bring a Marriage Certificate/License showing the new name but in China marriage certificates reflect names on the spouses' IDs which means our marriage certificate also lists her maiden name.

I think we could get the Chinese embassy in the US to add an addendum page in her name with my surname, would this help?

I would appreciate any help or advice from anyone with any experience in this.

Sincerely,

Ikenna

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.