Dr. ZoSo

Married To A German :)

436 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Update for all those interested in the whole 'register your marriage' thing. No, you don't have to. You can, but there's no purpose. Your marriage is recognized by Germany and if you move back to Germany you'll need to register, that is it.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
P says he isn't negative he's just realistic.

Both my husband and I are like that. ;) At the same time, both of us recognize that if you really want something, you'll figure out how to make it work. So initial negativity soon turns to productive, positive, and realistic planning.

Aubrey, it is not a must to register your marriage and name change in Germany.

However, once your spouse (that's if he will change his name) has to renew his passport, this will have to be done first.

It is illegal to do this in Germany in the local courthouse. I am really confused that they did this for you guys, Dr. ZoSo. Normally everybody not residing in Germany anymore has to get all this paperwork done through the German embassies overseas, local offices will turn you away (well, they should, at least).

So, once you guys are married and everything, have your hubby check out the website of the German consulate, it will have all the info. You can download a form to register the marriage and a name change and send it in. The consulate will do the rest, forward it to Germany etc and notify and send you confimation once everything went through. I really have nothing bad to say about this process, in my case it was smooth sailing.

And I have never said the it's just not possible thing ;) I usually always say "everything will be just fine".

Illegal or not, they did something that day we went there. I remember seeing a laminated card that looked a lot like the card in my wifes passport (just without the passport) and her father giving it to the man working there as well as a copy of out marriage certificate. I can only assume they needed the marriage cert. for a name change. We also had to provide a new passport style picture. Again, this was not her actual passport (we did that in the consulate here in Atlanta) but the card it's self looked a lot like it.

Wipfeld.jpg

zep_19579_010.gif

Timeline

And maybe they were starting a Familienbuche?

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

Here's the email I received back from the San Fran consulate:

A registration of your marriage is not mandatory according to German law. The American marriage certificate including a German certified translation and a so-called Apostille (see annex) on the original certificate are sufficient to give proof of your marriage in Germany. If you however decide to register your marriage in Germany, please fill out the attached application form.

Yours sincerely

Thomas Vogelbacher

Vice Consul for Cultural/Consular Affairs

German Consulate General

1960 Jackson Street

San Francisco, CA 94109

Tel (415) 353 0320

Fax (415) 775 0187

www.sanfrancisco.diplo.de

I've attached the docs he sent me if anyone wants to look them over.

Antragsformular_Sta_I_pdf.pdf

Apostille.pdf

Merkblatt_Eheregisteranlegung.doc

penguinpasscanada.jpg

Oh that is the ID card. They don't use driver's licenses for ID like we do, rather an ID card.

Well, it may not have been illegal per se if she re-registered at the local Rathaus using her father's address. :whistle:

Just call us the "illegal" couple!

Wipfeld.jpg

zep_19579_010.gif

Timeline

So, Dr...you're an illegal immigrant in your own country?!

:P

penguinpasscanada.jpg

After speaking with her parents my wife told me they (the in-laws) want to know what I would like from Germany. My wife is going home in September and this has been the second or third time they have asked me.

So I ask you....Any ideas? Can you think of anything unique that I cant think of?

Wipfeld.jpg

zep_19579_010.gif

Filed: Timeline

Nuss Stengli?

After speaking with her parents my wife told me they (the in-laws) want to know what I would like from Germany. My wife is going home in September and this has been the second or third time they have asked me.

So I ask you....Any ideas? Can you think of anything unique that I cant think of?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

I always bring back food we can't get here (esp. sauce mixes). When I went to Berlin in March I also got some German language books P can't get here (like Walter Moers). If you can't think of anything ask her to surprise you :)

We leave in 28 days! Yay. I'm so excited.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband wanted beer boots so I got him some. I brought back a 4pack of miniature beer boots.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.