KJ79

Will I lose my permanent resident status if I go back to Canada for school?

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a happy US Permanent Resident. Citizen of Canada.

I was accepted into two Universities back home in Canada and would like to finish my degree.

School starts in September so this is not enough time (I dont think) to get US Citizenship.

I would like to return back to the states when I finish my degree (or at least keep that option open) as I love my new home in Austin. Will my husband and I have to go through the whole application for spouse permanent resident again? Will it be harder the second time, since I assume they will see that I have "abandoned" my permanent resident status?

My husband is a US citizen, we did the whole fiance visa process 3 and half years ago. He is currently studying in Canada also, as an International student on a student visa.

Does anyone know of any options here, or have you gone through the same thing? Posting in the perm resident forum too, not sure where this post belongs.

Thanks!

-KJ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
School starts in September so this is not enough time (I dont think) to get US Citizenship.

Are you currently eligible to apply for citizenship? If so, I would consider applying immediately - you have 5 months - depending on your local office, this may be enough time.

If you don't apply, before leaving to attend school in Canada, I would apply for a reentry permit - this will permit you to live outside of the US for up to 2 years, without losing your permanent residency (greencard). This will resolve any issues you may incur, regarding staying out of the US for over 6 months, failing to maintain residency etc. However, i do not know how these would work if you wanted to return for visits to the US and then leave again - you would need to read up on that. This does mean however, that when you do return to the US to live permanently, your "residency time' for eligibility for citizenship will restart. IMO, if you simply start going to school in Canada, without gaining citizenship, or a re-entry permit, you will leave yourself in a vulnerable position.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you currently eligible to apply for citizenship? If so, I would consider applying immediately - you have 5 months - depending on your local office, this may be enough time.

If you don't apply, before leaving to attend school in Canada, I would apply for a reentry permit - this will permit you to live outside of the US for up to 2 years, without losing your permanent residency (greencard). This will resolve any issues you may incur, regarding staying out of the US for over 6 months, failing to maintain residency etc. However, i do not know how these would work if you wanted to return for visits to the US and then leave again - you would need to read up on that. This does mean however, that when you do return to the US to live permanently, your "residency time' for eligibility for citizenship will restart. IMO, if you simply start going to school in Canada, without gaining citizenship, or a re-entry permit, you will leave yourself in a vulnerable position.

I am curious if anyone else has used the reentry permit in the same way (to finish school abroad) and for how long they were outside of US...

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.