Jina

Questions about I-485 (as K-3 visa holder)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I entered the U.S. as a K-3 visa holder last September.

I am gathering required documents for I-485.

- My first question is whether I should submit a criminal history record.

To get a K-3 visa, I already submitted a criminal history record (no criminal history).

I am also wondering:

- when I send a personal check ($1,010) payable to US Department of Homeland Security,

do I write the check, or my husband (US citizen) should do?

- I know I need to submit a marriage certificate.

Do I submit the copy of our marriage certificate issued by the U.S., or by the foreign government where we got married?

We have marriage certificates from both countries.

- My birth certificate is written in Korean. Is it okay for me to translate and certify my own translation?

I don't know anybody here who is bilingual in Korean and English, other than me.

I live in a small town where there are few foreigners. People are always curiously looking at me.

Final question.

- My husband and I are going to visit my country this May and stay there for a little over two months.

Do I need to a travel document (I-131) to prevent my adjustment of status case from being dropped?

My K-3 visa is valid until September 2010.

I have gotten enormous help from this VJ forum. Thank you very much.

Edited by Jina

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

To get a K-3 visa, I already submitted a criminal history record (no criminal history).

I am also wondering:

- when I send a personal check ($1,010) payable to US Department of Homeland Security,

Do I submit the copy of our marriage certificate issued by the U.S., or by the foreign government where we got married?

Final question.

- My husband and I are going to visit my country this May and stay there for a little over two months.

Do I need to a travel document (I-131) to prevent my adjustment of status case from being dropped?

1) No

2) either

3) Why do you have a US? Your K-3 eligibility was based on your foreign marriage

4) yes you can translate

5)No I-131 needed

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I am also wondering:

Final question.

1) No

2) either

3) Why do you have a US? Your K-3 eligibility was based on your foreign marriage

4) yes you can translate

5)No I-131 needed

Thank you for your help. I have a marriage certificate from the U.S. because I actually got married in the U.S. first and then in Korea.

We met in a graduate school in the U.S., and got married soon after my graduation.

But because I wanted to get a job in my country, I went back to Korea and had a long distance relationship for two years.

And then I applied for K-3 visa based on our marriage in Korea.

Anyway, I guess it means I need to include our marriage certificate from Korea as well. Thanks again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am also wondering:

Final question.

1) No

2) either

4) yes you can translate

5)No I-131 needed

Thank you for your help. I have a marriage certificate from the U.S. because I actually got married in the U.S. first and then in Korea.

We met in a graduate school in the U.S., and got married soon after my graduation.

But because I wanted to get a job in my country, I went back to Korea and had a long distance relationship for two years.

Anyway, I guess it means I need to include our marriage certificate from Korea as well. Thanks again.

No, submit the one that was used to determine your eligibility for the visa.. If that was the one from the US then USE THAT ONE

YMMV

Then use marriage certificate issued in U.S. since it was first.

Technically your marriage certificate from South Korea should be annulled since South Korea honored any foreign marriage certificate respectively.

Based on foreign marriage certificate, you may have to translate it to Korean, and report to City Clerk office to register your foreign marriage in South Korea Family census register system, but it's more for convenience.

Other than this translation/registration based on foreign marriage certificate, it is considered as married twice, so later one should be annulled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.