Lyuba

Visa for my son

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have dual citizenship (Russian and American) and I want to go to Russia to visit my family with my son who was born here and is an American citizen.

What would be the best way to get a visa for him? I don't want my mom to deal with OVIR in Moscow because it is hell to get an invitation issued. Is there any other way for us to go?

Thanks!!!!

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I have dual citizenship (Russian and American) and I want to go to Russia to visit my family with my son who was born here and is an American citizen.

What would be the best way to get a visa for him? I don't want my mom to deal with OVIR in Moscow because it is hell to get an invitation issued. Is there any other way for us to go?

Thanks!!!!

If your son has a US passport, just get a visa through one of the many visa issuing agencies. I've used Visa Express on 3 different occasions, never had a problem. They'll take care of the invitation and visa.

On a side note, I didn't think Russia recognized dual citizenship. How's that work?

Edited by mox

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks!!!!

If your son has a US passport, just get a visa through one of the many visa issuing agencies. I've used Visa Express on 3 different occasions, never had a problem. They'll take care of the invitation and visa.

On a side note, I didn't think Russia recognized dual citizenship. How's that work?

He just needs to get a visa, as Mox was saying, from one of the agencies, they provide the invitation and registration when you arrive. Russia's policy on dual citizenship is they dont care if you are a citizen of any other country, as long as you didnt renounce your Russian citizenship, in their eyes, you are still a citizen of Russia. So you have to use your Russian passport to go to Russia.

Timeline

Russia does recognize dual citizenship.

Thank you for your advice!!!!!

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

AOS

Lifting of conditions

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

January 9, 2009 - Oath

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

I don't know how long you intend to stay in Russia, but a Visitor Visa is only good for 30 days. Good luck.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Timeline

Your son is also eligible to receive Russian citizenship at a Russian consulate near you.

http://www.consulrussia.org/ru/citizen.html#2

If you do that, no visa will be needed for him.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you opt to get Russian citizenship for your son, he may not want to travel there when he is 18-27 years old, unless he wants to get drafted into the army! Something to think about.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Timeline

That's exactly why I don't want him to become a Russian citizen. Russian army is scary.

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

AOS

Lifting of conditions

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

January 9, 2009 - Oath

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Timeline
If you opt to get Russian citizenship for your son, he may not want to travel there when he is 18-27 years old, unless he wants to get drafted into the army! Something to think about.
I wouldn't be so pessimistic about this anymore as the Russian government is striving for an army of volunteers by 2010; considering that they have already implement a smaller mandatory term.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/wor.../army-intro.htm

But I can't seem to find a media source for this.

And I suppose you could surrender the citizenship at age 18 here in the US if nothing has changed in that time frame and depending on how many trips you make to Russia from 0 to 18, you might still come out ahead.

Edited by Satellite

I'd heard this also--about the volunteer army by 2010 thing. The article cited mentions "70% volunteers by 2010," which, even if this is accurate, still means 30% conscription. The article also mentions that by 2008 the conscription term should be down to 1 year, but aren't they still at 2 years?

I attended a talk about 6 months ago, where one of the minor topics was on Russia's future military options. The gist that I got was that the Russians have seen how well a professional (non-conscript) military has worked for the US and our allies, and is very keen to emulate it. As the old Soviet-era hierarchy ages and retires, the new generation of Russian soldier understands that an army of bullied and mistreated conscripts who want nothing more than to just finish up and go home, is more of a liability than an asset. What's more, they're not (as) constrained by the old Soviet system, and more free to suggest and implement change. Like everything else in Russia, change is slow. I personally think 70% non-conscripts by 2010 is a pipe dream, but over the next 10 years is possible.

Very interesting article Sat, thanks for linking!

There was a time when I was thinking, "what would I do for work in Russia if I were to live with my wife?" Long and short of it, I considered moving there and joining the military. I figured they'd have me do something like "foreign liason" or "intel-training officer" or something like that and I'd fast-track to citizenship if I served. But, after watching more than a few heads getting chopped off in Chechnya, I decided I'd better just stick to good ol' American manufacturing.

And the whole treason thing didn't exactly have me going either.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

re: military service in Russia

Do you guys know someone who served in post soviet Russian military?

I do ... you wouldn't want to. My friend explained that Devyatnaya Rota looked like disneyland compared to actual service.

Now with Medvedevs new military spending the volunteer army idea might pay off. So wait a couple yeas slim ;-)

I dunno...if you could somehow swing being an officer, it probably wouldn't be so bad. I think typical conditions would still be worse than what even our lowliest enlisted enjoy, but it would probably be tolerable for an officer. Especially if you were stationed at a big headquarters or school.

We have a military school here that teaches Russian. I have a Ukrainian friend who speaks perfect Russian and tutors on the side. But she refuses to take military students because she's worried that when she goes back to Ukraine and Ukraine becomes part of Russia again (she's convinced this will happen), that she could be found to be a traitor.

Devyatnaya Rota looked like disneyland compared to actual service.

Pretty decent war flick.

I have a Ukrainian friend who speaks perfect Russian and tutors on the side. But she refuses to take military students because she's worried that when she goes back to Ukraine and Ukraine becomes part of Russia again (she's convinced this will happen), that she could be found to be a traitor.

Why would she go back when she could stay here and earn a great living as a tutor?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.