Pistons_09

India: Marriage Certificate Issues...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Here is the issue :

My wife and I (US Citizen) were married in India but not in her hometown. It was in my grandfather's hometown. So, for the purpose of obtaining the marriage certificate, they showed that my residence was my grandfather's hometown in India. This most likely cannot be changed or corrected as one of us needs to be a resident of that town.

Will this cause a problem during the approval of the I-130 or during the interview?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Pistons_09

No it wont be any problem... U can get married anywhere in india... I live in punjab and i got marroed in new delhi and we got approved the same day...

Good luck

My Timeline

14/07/2007----Met at Cousins Party (Notre dame, Indiana)

15/07/2007----Started talking (Exchange phone numbers)

31/08/2007----went back to India (For Family Issues)

2/10/2007---- Came Back to USA (Started living together)

12/12/2007----MARRIED in INDIANA,USA

07/03/2008----Gone to India (family Issues) Coudnt go back to USA Visa got finished!!!

23/08/2008---- My wife came to india (stayed 3 months)

24/11/2008----Applied DCF in New Delhi Embassy----GOT APPROVED same DAY got Packet 3.5 by hand

03/12/2008----Wife went back to USA

17/12/2008----Submit all documents @ VFS jullundher Packet 3.5

28/01/2009----Got interview date Packet 4: Feb 6th

29/01/2009----Went for medical

02/02/2009----GOT medical Report!! (all Fine)

06/02/2009---- INTERVIEW!!!! RECIVED 221g REQUSTING TO SUBMIT MORE DOCUMENTS with PASSPORT

28/02/2009---- Submitted 221g Documents with passport

18/03/2009---- Got passport without visa stamped on it

19/03/2009---- Called DOS and they said embassy is asking for my daughter's Birth cetificate and Passport

01/04/2009---- 1 month of AP!! - NO NEWS--- from embassy---called DOS No news---_STILL WAITING FOR ANOTHER 221g FROM EMBASSY!!!!!!

STILL UNDER AP!!!!! very Frustated

07/04/2009---- Case tranfered to FPU(fraud prevention unit)

15/06/2009---- Embassy asked me to submit my passport-----confused??

22/06/2009---- Got Visa in Hand

10/07/2009---- POE Denver!

No it wont be any problem... U can get married anywhere in india... I live in punjab and i got marroed in new delhi and we got approved the same day...

Good luck

But will the fact that neither of us are residents (I am a US citizen residing in US) of city listed on the certificate cause a problem. This is for a K3 visa.

I read that someone was denied visa at Delhi on the basis that the USC didn't stay 1 month in India prior to getting the marriage certificate. Hence the concern for my issue..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

According to Indian civil marriage law, at least 1 of the party, either bride or groom has to live in a city for 30 days thus obtaining residency before filing for civil wedding ceremony.

You did say that it is your wife's grandfather's place, so even if the question arises, she can show that she has tie to that specific city. And since the requirement is only of 1 month, it wouldn't be a matter, even if you guys don't have any proof of when she came to that city, you can always make a notarized affidavit from grandfather stating that she lived with him for a month prior to the wedding.

Also she won't have to get any PCC from that specific district because the requirement was for only 1 month.

About the case you read, if I my memory serves I think you read about laurarajesh case. They didn't have a civil wedding, they had a proxy marriage of what I know and CO had many other objections to that case. I am not really sure about their update but do think they are still under AP.

According to Indian civil marriage law, at least 1 of the party, either bride or groom has to live in a city for 30 days thus obtaining residency before filing for civil wedding ceremony.

You did say that it is your wife's grandfather's place, so even if the question arises, she can show that she has tie to that specific city. And since the requirement is only of 1 month, it wouldn't be a matter, even if you guys don't have any proof of when she came to that city, you can always make a notarized affidavit from grandfather stating that she lived with him for a month prior to the wedding.

Also she won't have to get any PCC from that specific district because the requirement was for only 1 month.

About the case you read, if I my memory serves I think you read about laurarajesh case. They didn't have a civil wedding, they had a proxy marriage of what I know and CO had many other objections to that case. I am not really sure about their update but do think they are still under AP.

Actually it was my grandfather's hometown (I am a US citizen). And I was not in India for 30 days. However, it was not a court marriage. (We had a religious ceremony and then filed for the certificate following)

Timeline

Actually it was my grandfather's hometown (I am a US citizen). And I was not in India for 30 days. However, it was not a court marriage. (We had a religious ceremony and then filed for the certificate following)

If you had a religious ceremony and then filed for marriage certificate then its not a problem. People always do religious ceremony and then file for marriage registration certificate because it is much faster that way.

If you had a religious ceremony and then filed for marriage certificate then its not a problem. People always do religious ceremony and then file for marriage registration certificate because it is much faster that way.

So, the fact that I was "shown" as a resident of the hometown, when I'm clearly not, won't raise eyebrows?

Thanks for your replies! This website is a godsend

Edited by Pistons_09

Timeline

So, the fact that I was "shown" as a resident of the hometown, when I'm clearly not, won't raise eyebrows?

Oh yes, that is a problem but do you have something like IOC or PIO with you? Which would prove your ties to India.

Oh yes, that is a problem but do you have something like IOC or PIO with you? Which would prove your ties to India.

I'm not even sure what those are! I'm a US-born citizen and have never lived in India (outside of brief visits).

Timeline

PIO- Person of Indian origin

OIC--Overseas Indian citizenship

These are kind of like green card of India, since you have Indian roots you are eligible for these. I am really not sure how much your Indian residency would be a problem. Make sure you have all the other bonafide relationship proofs, as much as possible.

I had arya samaj wedding and never registered it, Indian CO gave me a hard time but when the time came for real interview, American CO didn't even question it.

You don't state which path you would be going through, if you are going through CR-1 and NVC doesn't object anything about your marriage certificate then it shouldn't be a problem at consulate stage.

PIO- Person of Indian origin

OIC--Overseas Indian citizenship

These are kind of like green card of India, since you have Indian roots you are eligible for these. I am really not sure how much your Indian residency would be a problem. Make sure you have all the other bonafide relationship proofs, as much as possible.

I had arya samaj wedding and never registered it, Indian CO gave me a hard time but when the time came for real interview, American CO didn't even question it.

You don't state which path you would be going through, if you are going through CR-1 and NVC doesn't object anything about your marriage certificate then it shouldn't be a problem at consulate stage.

Sorry for the late reply. And thanks again for your responses.

As my main concern is speed of my spouse coming to the US, I'll be going for a K3.

I think I'll try to get it corrected or to at least state that my perm residence is USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.