eeo

Packet 3 and the Interview

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I have been trying to read the forums and have read that there are some things in Packet 3 that need to be sent back before the interview (like DS-230??), or before you can even make an interview date. Is this true? Or do we just fill all the documents out and bring them all to the interview?

The thing is that I am planning on going to Cuba to be with my fiance for his interview. It is kind of difficult for him to travel to Havana, so I was thinking I could just pick the packet up when I get there. But in doing this, would we be waiting too long if we have to be sending things in order to get an interview date? My understanding was that the packet 3 would be sent to Havana, I could pick it up when I get there, we could fill out the documents and bring them to the interview, for which we would already have the date set up.

I know there are things he must do and documents he must obtain, like a medical exam, a letter from his job, etc. My understanding is that this list comes in Packet 3. Would it be better if we just arrange for him to make it to Havana to pick up the packet and start getting those things done, in order to make an interview date? Or will we be able to make in interview date and THEN get those things done, and bring them to the interview?

Can someone help me sort this out?

Timeline

Can someone help me sort this out?

You should never read other forums (having to do with other countries) to get info on Cuba because you will end up confused, everything in Cuba is different.

http://havana.usint.gov/nonimmigrant_info.html

you should only ever be in the embassy, at the most, three times:

1. pick up packet (which he will get a telegram about)

2. interview

3. pick-up visa

you don't mail or bring the packet to the embassy, you just bring EVERYTHING the day of the interview. he could start getting some stuff together like

1. certificate of police record

2. birth cirtificate

3. divorce or single status certificate

4. passport (55 CUC)

5. passport pictures

the letter from the job has nothing to do with the embassy, you just need that for the Carta Blanca which you don't apply for until you get your visa. you only need 121 CUC for the interview because the rest of the money you spend it on the carta blanca/examen medico. (400 for medical exam which you take the exam first and pay later when you have been approved and 150 for carta blanca) I have attached a file which is the list he receives with the packet, everything is there. good luck

K_1_and_K_2_1_.pdf

Timeline

Thank you so much for the info and for the file.

So to clarify: I can simply pick up the packet when I arrive in Havana, and we just bring all the listed documents to the interview. So when can we schedule the interview? Once the packet arrives in Havana? Is it ok if the packet sits at the embassy for a while? If I have all this information, and can download all the forms from the website, do we even need to pick up the packet at all?

Also: If he is single and has never been married, does he need additional documentation that he is single?

Timeline

good luck

Thank you so much for the info and for the file.

So to clarify: I can simply pick up the packet when I arrive in Havana, and we just bring all the listed documents to the interview. So when can we schedule the interview? Once the packet arrives in Havana? Is it ok if the packet sits at the embassy for a while? If I have all this information, and can download all the forms from the website, do we even need to pick up the packet at all?

Also: If he is single and has never been married, does he need additional documentation that he is single?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Yes, he will need a certificado de solteria the same as if you were getting married there in Cuba. It is not too hard to obtain and may even be free ( miracle) but it takes a little time to have it sent, he will do it in whatever town he lives in, ( if the town is large enough) It is signed by the notaria, and if it requires stamps ( cellas) like the certificado de nacimiento which can be gotten at the bank. I don't recall that one needing stamps. Do get his birth certificate translated even if you think you don't need it, for there, and get yours translated to Spanish as well, guaranteed you will need that at some point.... Should you ever have the misfortune to have to go to the Cuban consulate in DC for any thing , and all of us married to Cubanos usually do, it is a nightmare to get done in Washington DC and the person the interest section suggests will take your big money and do the worst job ever!!! I know what you are trying to do as far as help him out by picking up the packet, it s so hard for a cuban to travel to havana from far away and get it all done without much difficulty. For a US citizen also be prepared for hardship , and if it goes well, bueno! DO KNOW that many times the printed material given to you from the Section in Havana is OLD and NOT CORRECT!!!! they have been handing out dated forms that have changed!!! make sure to get the latest copies of all important forms, I know this from experience, because of losing time with some old forms , we are now behind you in our process and should have been moving on to the better part instead of waiting....Hope your sityuation goes very well, I would love to hear more :star: :star: if you want to PM me buena suerte!!!!!

One love...

Timeline

well you can pretty much go into the embassy whenever you want with your U.S. passport and I don't see why they wouldn't give you a packet. I think you are confused when you say packet. let me clarify. What you sent to USCIS (your I-129F application) is what makes it down to Havana, what they send your fiance -- Packet 3 -- it just another word for a packet of forms that they have him fill out . I wouldn't see the packet 3 not being picked up as a problem. If you want you can also call the Havana office but use the main number not the one that you use to make appointments for visa. The number is listed at the top of the page I posted before. Yes he needs el certificado de solteria just like juana said. I tried to look at your timeline but didn't see anything so since I don't know what stage of the process you are at, I'll give you this quick breakdown.

1. you send I-129F

2. USCIS approves you and sends you notice NOA2; forwards your application to NVC

3. NVC sends you a letter to let you know that they received you applciation and are processing it

4. NVC sends you another letter stating that your application has been forwarded to Havana Interest Section

5. wait about a week and then call to make an appointment for you fiance, BUT make sure he already has his passport because you will need his passport info

6. fiancee receives telegram to go pick up PACKET 3 (forms for him to fill out)

7. fiance receives telegram for interview appointment

8. fiancee brings Packet 3 to interview along with all other forms listed on the file I referred you to.

Once you have done all of this and you have decided to take a trip to Cuba, try swinging by the embassy and going there in person. It nevers hurts to try to move up the appointment while you are there. The U.S. Interest Section is not there just to process Visa applications, they are all there to serve (Cuban)American Citizens that are visiting Cuba. What I am trying to say is don't be afraid to pass by (once again DONT FORGET YOUR U.S. PASSPORT) and skip the lines, get inside and speak to someone.

Timeline

Thank you both for the wonderful information. And thanks for breaking it down for me. I don't have a timeline because to tell you the truth I haven't ven sent in the I-129F yet. I am on the verge of having it ready to send in. I am already asking all these questions because I really need to have things well planned out for this process, and need to know more or less exactly what I am going to have to be doing while I am in Cuba. Thanks for helping me get a better grasp on this part of the process, it is kind of hard to find Cuba-specific info, you really have to spend time searching through the forums.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.