July09Bride

Points of Entry Contact Information

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there a location where we can find out the contact information for the various POE locations? There is one particular border crissing that I prefer, but I want to make sure the process the K1 at this particular crossing. In addition, if we can't cross there, then I'd like to contact our 2nd POE choice.

Thanks, everyone for your help with this!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here ya go. It has the contact information for each POE.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/

Timeline
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here ya go. It has the contact information for each POE.

MrsCat,

That's perfect! Thank you SO much! Only bummer is... the port where we (he) wanted to enter isn't listed... I wonder why? It isn't a major POE, but it does exist. Hmmm....

Thanks again!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

MrsCat,

That's perfect! Thank you SO much! Only bummer is... the port where we (he) wanted to enter isn't listed... I wonder why? It isn't a major POE, but it does exist. Hmmm....

Thanks again!

I had that issue and so I called the closest one and they gave me the correct number. Try that! I also found that many of the numbers for the smaller POEs filtered through to the same person in the end.

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Timeline

I actually called today after school, and spoke with a real-live person at the POE where we wanted to go. He said, since there's only 2 CBP officers on staff at any one point (told you this was a small POE) that they can't do paperwork for Visas. <sigh> I asked him, if the number of officers went up in the summer due to the volume of traffic that goes through there. His response was actually funny... he said, "No, not more officers, just more cars."

Where we want to cross is a "Class B" POE and is strictly for basic entry. We have to go to a "Class A" POE. That's where they do the Visas.

Oh, well. I learned something new this evening. ;)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

I actually called today after school, and spoke with a real-live person at the POE where we wanted to go. He said, since there's only 2 CBP officers on staff at any one point (told you this was a small POE) that they can't do paperwork for Visas. <sigh> I asked him, if the number of officers went up in the summer due to the volume of traffic that goes through there. His response was actually funny... he said, "No, not more officers, just more cars."

Where we want to cross is a "Class B" POE and is strictly for basic entry. We have to go to a "Class A" POE. That's where they do the Visas.

HUH???? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I never knew this????? Ok, have to check the list....we always cross at Buffalo??? The things you learn!

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

HUH???? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I never knew this????? Ok, have to check the list....we always cross at Buffalo??? The things you learn!

Buffalo is good, but tip: if you're activing your visa on a weekend, or even a weekday get there early!! I went to Queenston Lewiston on a Saturday AM at 5. There was no one there and we were in and out in half an hour. If you go later morning/midday, there are so many shoppers and you have to line up and wait which you don't really want to do when you're super nervous and doing a visa!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Was your preferred POE one of the ferry crossings between Ontario and Michigan along the Detroit River? When I activated my K-1 I went the week before to the Algonac ferry crossing to ask them in person if they did K-1s. The border official reassured me that they did indeed do them and it wouldn't be a problem. So, we showed up the following week and a different border guard was on duty. She refused to do the K-1 and we ended up having to travel north to Sarnia/Port Huron. When we finally got the visa activated there they told us that Algonac could indeed do the K-1 and were surprised that they wouldn't. So, I think it is up to the individual border guards whether or not they want to be bothered. I had done everything I could to verify that we would be processed at Algonac but luck of the draw was we got the lazy border official. If I had had any idea that would happen we would have headed for Detroit and saved ourselves nearly 5 additional hours of travel as well as the aggravation.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Was your preferred POE one of the ferry crossings between Ontario and Michigan along the Detroit River? When I activated my K-1 I went the week before to the Algonac ferry crossing to ask them in person if they did K-1s. The border official reassured me that they did indeed do them and it wouldn't be a problem. So, we showed up the following week and a different border guard was on duty. She refused to do the K-1 and we ended up having to travel north to Sarnia/Port Huron. When we finally got the visa activated there they told us that Algonac could indeed do the K-1 and were surprised that they wouldn't. So, I think it is up to the individual border guards whether or not they want to be bothered. I had done everything I could to verify that we would be processed at Algonac but luck of the draw was we got the lazy border official. If I had had any idea that would happen we would have headed for Detroit and saved ourselves nearly 5 additional hours of travel as well as the aggravation.

Yes, but it isn't Algonac or Detroit River... it's Marine City, MI / Sombra, ON across the Black River (that becomes the Detroit River). We too will go through Port Huron. How was your experience going through Port Huron, Kathryn??

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, it must be upto the individual. Ive heard of two different people crossing through no-where NewBrunswick, one person got through activating their K1 , but the POE officer had no idea how to do it, but he did it... and I remember them saying it took a while.

Then another person went through and was told they didnt do them

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Timeline

Port Huron was fine. Very knowledgeable and professional - and even courteous. The POE officer made a big point of telling me to make sure I didn't leave the US without my AP or green card as it was one of the saddest parts of his job to turn back Canadian spouses who had left without that permission. Whole process took less than half an hour and they didn't even inspect the vehicle or look at my list of items I was bringing with us - which included 6 cats and a number of houseplants (with the phyto sanitary certificates). You'll have no problems.

Come to think of it, it wasn't Algonac, it was Marine City where we initially crossed and had been told they could process a K-1 - not Algonac. Sorry for the confusion - it was 5 years ago now! - the one across from Sombra, not Walpole Island. I used to cross very regularly through both those POE when I was dating another American back in the 90s - he lived in Mount Clemens and I lived in Chatham so it was more convenient going those routes than by Detroit or Port Huron. Port Huron from London is definitely a more convenient POE for you as well as a nicer, cleaner facility than Detroit.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Port Huron was fine. Very knowledgeable and professional - and even courteous. The POE officer made a big point of telling me to make sure I didn't leave the US without my AP or green card as it was one of the saddest parts of his job to turn back Canadian spouses who had left without that permission. Whole process took less than half an hour and they didn't even inspect the vehicle or look at my list of items I was bringing with us - which included 6 cats and a number of houseplants (with the phyto sanitary certificates). You'll have no problems.

Come to think of it, it wasn't Algonac, it was Marine City where we initially crossed and had been told they could process a K-1 - not Algonac. Sorry for the confusion - it was 5 years ago now! - the one across from Sombra, not Walpole Island. I used to cross very regularly through both those POE when I was dating another American back in the 90s - he lived in Mount Clemens and I lived in Chatham so it was more convenient going those routes than by Detroit or Port Huron. Port Huron from London is definitely a more convenient POE for you as well as a nicer, cleaner facility than Detroit.

He used to live in the Glencoe area and that's how I became so familiar with the Marine City crossing. They're so nice there! I crossed there so often, that they even noticed when I got a new vehicle. LOL It was funny, because when they saw me (us) coming, it was almost laffable, because we knew that they knew us and we knew that they were doing their jobs by going through all the questions. At times, they even joked with us that they had to ask us the questions, because they'd toss in statements such as "again" or "this time".

Anyway, thanks SO much for your insight to the Port Huron POE. I hope our trip through there is as easy as yours! We're hoping for a trip through there at the beginning of June (or close to that!).

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Buffalo is good, but tip: if you're activing your visa on a weekend, or even a weekday get there early!! I went to Queenston Lewiston on a Saturday AM at 5. There was no one there and we were in and out in half an hour. If you go later morning/midday, there are so many shoppers and you have to line up and wait which you don't really want to do when you're super nervous and doing a visa!

Jill- we do cross at Lewiston. I always leave at 3-4am, and hit the bridge by 5am. I've never had more than a few cars. We will likely do it on a week day. Is it open 24 hours? I read somewhere that their office hours are 8,30am.... but then somewhere else I read that Lewiston is 24 hours?

I totally plan on doing it early. I can't believe that they let you cross with all your belongings? I mean at that point, it's a temp visa and you're not married yet? I'm not complaining! :)

Edited by poprocks

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

Jill- we do cross at Lewiston. I always leave at 3-4am, and hit the bridge by 5am. I've never had more than a few cars. We will likely do it on a week day. Is it open 24 hours? I read somewhere that their office hours are 8,30am.... but then somewhere else I read that Lewiston is 24 hours?

I totally plan on doing it early. I can't believe that they let you cross with all your belongings? I mean at that point, it's a temp visa and you're not married yet? I'm not complaining! :)

I left Oakville at 4:30am on a Sat and got to Lewiston a bit past 5.... 0 cars were there at that hour, 0 people in secondary. It was an awesome time to go, as not only did I have to activate my K1 but had to import my car too! And I went to so much trouble doing up my packing list (I had a 17 foot Uhaul) with SO much furniture and stuff they never even ASKED me what was inside the truck! Like not 1 question. It was a breeze. It really is the best time to go when it's not busy. It is open 24 hours, it has to be. You can cross there 24/7 so secondary is always open.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.