dreamcircus

Would bankruptcy affect visa application?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello I'm a U.S. citizen married to an Australian husband. I was just wondering, if my husband were to declare bankruptcy in Australia for his debts there (not massive, some credit cards but no business collapse or anything affecting anyone other than banks, and zero debt in the U.S.), would that affect my petition for him and whether or not he is approved for a spouse visa by US Immigration? FYI he has no criminal record and isn't under any enforcement proceedings.

Would appreciate if answers come from those with definite knowledge, thanks.

Edited by dreamcircus

Hello I'm a U.S. citizen married to an Australian husband. I was just wondering, if my husband were to declare bankruptcy in Australia for his debts there (not massive, some credit cards but no business collapse or anything affecting anyone other than banks), would that affect my petition for him and whether or not he is approved for a spouse visa by US Immigration?

Would appreciate if answers come from those with definite knowledge, thanks.

Hi,

You are the USA citizen, and you are filing for your husband, so that has nothing to do with your husbands financial situation. When you apply for your husband, and his case goes to NVC they will ask for your financial proof (Affidavit of Support I-864). Your husband will not be the one that's liable to show proof, you will be. YOU will be supporting him he will NOT BE supporting you!!! Hope that helps! :thumbs:

01/04/08: Married

07/10/08: I-130 Sent to USCIS

07/16/08: Received NOA stating Case received at USCIS (Vermont Service Center)

11/12/08: Case Transferred to California Service Center

01/06/09: I-130 APPROVED!

01/16/09: NVC receive case, and issue case number

01/16/09: NVC send DS-3032 and AOS bill

01/23/09: PAID AOS Fee Online $70.00

01/24/09: Mailed DS-3032 (choice of agent) to NVC

01/26/09: AOS Fee Status PAID

01/27/09: DS-3032 choice of agent received by NVC

01/27/09: Printed Out AOS Coversheet/Mailed Out AOS I-486

01/28/09: Paid IV Fee $400

01/29/09: IV Fee Status PAID and got DS-230 cover sheet.

02/06/09: Received check list for AOS

02/10/09: Missing documents sent back to NVC

02/10/09: Mailed DC-230 to NVC

02/17/09: NVC receive DC-230

02/25/09: Case Completed at NVC

03/09/09: Got Interview date(Called NVC)

04/06/09: Interview

04/18/09: Visa received

04/29/09: POE

Filed: Timeline
Hi,

You are the USA citizen, and you are filing for your husband, so that has nothing to do with your husbands financial situation. When you apply for your husband, and his case goes to NVC they will ask for your financial proof (Affidavit of Support I-864). Your husband will not be the one that's liable to show proof, you will be. YOU will be supporting him he will NOT BE supporting you!!! Hope that helps! :thumbs:

Thank you for the reply, yes I do know all that. So therefore what you are saying is, between launching the petition for my husband and him getting interviewed and approved, nowhere in the process will US Immigration even ask or care about whether or not he has declared bankruptcy in his home country? I mean as long as my petition is approved and his police check and medical exam and interview all come up good then that's all it matters, right?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

Thank you for the reply, yes I do know all that. So therefore what you are saying is, between launching the petition for my husband and him getting interviewed and approved, nowhere in the process will US Immigration even ask or care about whether or not he has declared bankruptcy in his home country? I mean as long as my petition is approved and his police check and medical exam and interview all come up good then that's all it matters, right?

Credit is not an issue on either side.

Just to cut it off at the pass, an IRS lien is far more than a "credit problem". Bankruptcy is not an issue unless a debt issue can get a passport revoked. In some countries it can.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.