neenuh

My USEM Immigrant Visa Interview Experience

16 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone! I posted this earlier in the US Embassy and Consulate General Discussion, but I think it's more appropriate to post this here. I'm hoping someone deletes that other post...

Anyway, after some 500 and so days, my son and I finally got approved with our immgrant visas, and I couldn't be happier!

Here's pretty much everything that happened earlier during our interview:

5:30 am - My husband, my son and I arrived at the USEM. We were scheduled at 6:30am. There were probably about 20 or so people ahead of us who were already queud in the waiting area when we finally went through the security guard who had to verify our appointment in his list.

6:00am - The USEM employees began allowing people to enter the building. We went through the routinary inspection, walked to the immigration visa unit and were told to sit and wait to get our ticket number.

7:00am - My son and I were called to Window 16 for fingerprint scanning. I was told my son didn't have to go through it, and when I was done, we were told to sit again and wait for our number to be called for the pre-screening

7:30am - We were called to Window 19. I had a male pre-screener. He was really kind and polite. He asked me to fill out some parts in our DS-230 and to sign that portion of the DS-230 Part 2 that was left blank. He asked me if my son was born out of wedlock and if I was ever married to my son's father, and I said no. He asked if I ever submitted a CENMAR and I said no, however I told him I had one with me and he asked for it. He asked me who my husband is, where we met, when we first met, how many times he's visited, when his last visit was. He also asked what my husband did for a living, and I told him he's currently unemployed. He started going through our I-864s and he said it wasn't a problem, since we have a joint sponsor.

While the pre-screener was flipping through the I-864 we sent to the NVC, he asked me who the joint sponsor was and my relationship with them. However, my joint sponsor failed to submit a more recent income tax return. He asked me for some attachments, and I said we don't have any. I told him that we have another joint sponsor, and I then presented everything to him, together with the copies of the 2007 income tax, W2 from 2007, and the form I-864A (since taxes were filed together). He said that my second joint sponsor's documents were sufficient. He also asked if they filled out for my son, and I said yes. He went through them once again, and then told me that my second joint sponsor's stuff was what he was going to file for the final interview instead.

The whole time my son was just standing next to me. The only thing the pre-screener asked my 13 year old son was his birth date.

Finally he asked for our family photos (I gave him about 80 prints!), greeting cards, and some remittance receipts. And then he asked if we have ever been to the United States or if this was the first time for us to travel there. Then he told us to go back to our seats and to wait for the final interview with the consul officer.

8:30am - after one hour of waiting, we were finally called to Window 32 for our final interview with the consul officer. He was this middle-aged, white guy. He was wearing eyeglasses. He greeted me and my son, told us to sit, and asked me to take the oath.

He was pleasant, however, he had a terrible cough. He was coughing non-stop on his head set, and it was really loud! I could tell he was having a hard time, his nose was stuffy and he would cough like every 5-10 seconds. Poor guy. There were moments of silence as he would go through our stuff and type on his computer, and then he would cough again.

So, anyway. He asked the same things the pre-screener asked. Further, he asked about the other jobs my husband had before he became unemployed, why he's unemployed, about my husband's disability, our plans when we get to the United States, and where we plan to stay. He asked how my husband supports us if he's unemployed, and I told him through my husband's SSA payments. He asked if I knew how much he was getting and I told him.

After all that questioning, he went through our photos briefly, and began typing some more stuff on the computer. I was kind of worried because he wasn't saying anything at all. He then returned the photos, greeting cards, and remittance receipts back to me. Finally, with these two huge stamps, he stamped on our stuff and said, "This is it, ma'am. I have approved your visas." And I was like, "Really?! Thank you very much, sir!" He told us to sit again outside and to wait for further instructions for the releasing and paying for the visa delivery fee. He wished me and my son good luck on our move to the United States and with getting employed there.

I think we were in the cubicle for about 30 minutes. I bet we would have been done a lot sooner, but the consul officer's cough kept interrupting us. He had to stop a couple of times with what he was doing because he just couldn't stop coughing! I felt bad for him. And it sounded like he had asthma.

After about ten minutes, we were called to the releasing window. This lady handed me our appoinment letter and stapled two pink slips on them. She told us to pay for our visa delivery fee and to go home and wait. I asked what the pink slip meant, and she said she's not authorized to disclose that kind of information :-P

9:30am - Paid our visa delivery fees, and we were done like a champ!

So, now we wait some more. But at least the difficult part is over. I want to thank everyone here in VJ for all your help, especially to edp333, ryandgracey, and pretty_wahine09. My husband and I couldn't have done it without everyone's input and knowledge.

Btw, goodluck to pretty_wahine09 on your interview later :-)

Feelicks <3 Neenuh

04.23.07 sent I-130 packet

04.25.07 USPS confirmed I-130 packet delivered

05.18.07 money order cashed

08.09.07 received NOA1

09.23.07 received NOA2

10.23.07 received I-864 AOS fee

12.14.07 received I-864 AOS instructions

12.15.07 mailed DS-3032

01.04.08 received IV fee

02.15.08 mailed I-864 AOS packet

02.15.08 mailed money order for IV fee

03.03.08 received IV packet

04.09.08 received I-864 AOS RFE

07.19.08 mailed I-864 RFE documents

12.19.08 mailed IV packet

01.02.09 case completed at the NVC

02.24.09 NVC interview packet arrived

02.25.09 SLEC medical DAY 1

02.27.09 SLEC medical DAY 2

03.02.09 SLEC medical DAY 3 PASSED!

03.05.09 USEM interview @ 6:30am APPROVED!

03.07.09 visas in hand

04.20.09 Arrived at SFO

05.05.09 Received SSN

Hello, everyone! I posted this earlier in the US Embassy and Consulate General Discussion, but I think it's more appropriate to post this here. I'm hoping someone deletes that other post...

Anyway, after some 500 and so days, my son and I finally got approved with our immgrant visas, and I couldn't be happier!

5:30 am - My husband, my son and I arrived at the USEM. We were scheduled at 6:30am. There were probably about 20 or so people ahead of us who were already queud in the waiting area when we finally went through the security guard who had to verify our appointment in his list.

6:00am - The USEM employees began allowing people to enter the building. We went through the routinary inspection, walked to the immigration visa unit and were told to sit and wait to get our ticket number.

7:00am - My son and I were called to Window 16 for fingerprint scanning. I was told my son didn't have to go through it, and when I was done, we were told to sit again and wait for our number to be called for the pre-screening

7:30am - We were called to Window 19. I had a male pre-screener. He was really kind and polite. He asked me to fill out some parts in our DS-230 and to sign that portion of the DS-230 Part 2 that was left blank. He asked me if my son was born out of wedlock and if I was ever married to my son's father, and I said no. He asked if I ever submitted a CENMAR and I said no, however I told him I had one with me and he asked for it. He asked me who my husband is, where we met, when we first met, how many times he's visited, when his last visit was. He also asked what my husband did for a living, and I told him he's currently unemployed. He started going through our I-864s and he said it wasn't a problem, since we have a joint sponsor.

While the pre-screener was flipping through the I-864 we sent to the NVC, he asked me who the joint sponsor was and my relationship with them. However, my joint sponsor failed to submit a more recent income tax return. He asked me for some attachments, and I said we don't have any. I told him that we have another joint sponsor, and I then presented everything to him, together with the copies of the 2007 income tax, W2 from 2007, and the form I-864A (since taxes were filed together). He said that my second joint sponsor's documents were sufficient. He also asked if they filled out for my son, and I said yes. He went through them once again, and then told me that my second joint sponsor's stuff was what he was going to file for the final interview instead.

The whole time my son was just standing next to me. The only thing the pre-screener asked my 13 year old son was his birth date.

Finally he asked for our family photos (I gave him about 80 prints!), greeting cards, and some remittance receipts. And then he asked if we have ever been to the United States or if this was the first time for us to travel there. Then he told us to go back to our seats and to wait for the final interview with the consul officer.

8:30am - after one hour of waiting, we were finally called to Window 32 for our final interview with the consul officer. He was this middle-aged, white guy. He was wearing eyeglasses. He greeted me and my son, told us to sit, and asked me to take the oath.

He was pleasant, however, he had a terrible cough. He was coughing non-stop on his head set, and it was really loud! I could tell he was having a hard time, his nose was stuffy and he would cough like every 5-10 seconds. Poor guy. There were moments of silence as he would go through our stuff and type on his computer, and then he would cough again.

So, anyway. He asked the same things the pre-screener asked. Further, he asked about the other jobs my husband had before he became unemployed, why he's unemployed, about my husband's disability, our plans when we get to the United States, and where we plan to stay. He asked how my husband supports us if he's unemployed, and I told him through my husband's SSA payments. He asked if I knew how much he was getting and I told him.

After all that questioning, he went through our photos briefly, and began typing some more stuff on the computer. I was kind of worried because he wasn't saying anything at all. He then returned the photos, greeting cards, and remittance receipts back to me. Finally, with these two huge stamps, he stamped on our stuff and said, "This is it, ma'am. I have approved your visas." And I was like, "Really?! Thank you very much, sir!" He told us to sit again outside and to wait for further instructions for the releasing and paying for the visa delivery fee. He wished me and my son good luck on our move to the United States and with getting employed there.

I think we were in the cubicle for about 30 minutes. I bet we would have been done a lot sooner, but the consul officer's cough kept interrupting us. He had to stop a couple of times with what he was doing because he just couldn't stop coughing! I felt bad for him. And it sounded like he had asthma.

After about ten minutes, we were called to the releasing window. This lady handed me our appoinment letter and stapled two pink slips on them. She told us to pay for our visa delivery fee and to go home and wait. I asked what the pink slip meant, and she said she's not authorized to disclose that kind of information :-P

So, now we wait some more. But at least the difficult part is over. I want to thank everyone here in VJ for all your help, especially to edp333, ryandgracey, and pretty_wahine09. My husband and I couldn't have done it without everyone's input and knowledge.

You made it! Time to celebrate. Congratulations.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

congratulations!

welcome soon here in US of A :dance::dance:

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

May 16, 2011~ mailed N-400

May 20, 2011~ received NOA1

May 31, 2011~ Biometrics letter received sked June 1st

June 01,2011~ Biometrics appt. DONE!

June 23, 2011~ email notification scheduled for Testing and Interview

June 27, 2011~ received interview letter by mail

Aug 01, 2011~ interview at Atlanta GA, PASSED!

Aug 05, 2011~ Oath taking at 1pm

ROC TIMELINE

Nov. 30, 2009~mailed I-751 (VSC)

Dec. 03, 2009~Extension letter and NOA1 received

Jan. 04, 2010~ Biometrics at Metairie, LA

March 10, 2010~ approved!

March 13, 2010~ approval notice sent

March 15, 2010~ received approval letter and GC in mail!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

woow..congratulations!!! on your interview even when your husband was laid off you were still approved..god is good.. please pray for us..my husband got his interview and has to go back to USEM to submit additional requirements.... They want my I-864 with original signatures as well as for the co-sponsors. hum, this was sent to NVC..I know they are looking for the 2008 Income tax returns..>>>>he was also asked to submit an NBI with different spelling of his middle name even though everything on his NBI was spelled right..hum...>>>>

they said when he submits these additional docus everything will b ok..

Please pray for us..you are very lucky!!!!

ticker.png

ticker.png

Congratulations... :)

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats!! my kids and I were also interviewed by the same consul last March 2.. But we were inside a cubicle just 3 minutes bec. he can hardly talk straight bec. of his colds and coughing hehehehe!

just 8 basic questions, he approved and off we went outside to pay for the delivery charges.

I got my visa yesterday!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations!!!!

------------------------

Adjustment of Status ( I-485) and Advance Parole

Jan.6,2010- Mailed to South Dearborn Chicago via Fedex overnight delivery

Jan.7,2010- AOS packet received signed by Chyba

Jan.10,2010- Notice receipt from USCIS

Jan.13,2010- check has been cashed

Jan.14,2010- NOA1 received (hard copy)

Jan.23,2010- Biometrics Appt.received in the mail dated Jan.14,2010

Feb. 1, 2010- Biometrics appointment at 8a.m.

Feb.9,2010 - touched

March 2,2010- AP approved

March 9,2010- Hard copy received

March 12, 2010- I-485 receipt notice for interview

March 18,2010- received letter for initial interview

April 19, 2010- 8 :15 A.M INTERVIEW DATE ( APPROVED 5min.Interview)

APRIL 20, 2010- USCIS website updated card production ordered

url=http://www.weddingcountdown.com]

79bur3yi21.png

[/url]

----------------------------

We met online became good friends , fell in love and got married..

Thank you neenuh :) Favorite color of the day... PINK! Got Pink Slip too :dance:

payitforward.jpg

Karma_Me_Banner.gif

WELCOME TO MY PAGEhttp://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=53615

CEMAR/MARRIAGE INDEX

CENOMAR.jpg

CENOMAR

CENOMAR_SINGLE.jpg

thank you, everyone!

Rose&Corey

i was hella nervous days before my interview! the night before, i told myself to knock it off... still, i ended up not sleeping LOL

i think so long as you are "documentarily ready" and you are prepared to answer their questions spontaneously, you won't have any problem getting the visa. good luck!

dhumanmagenta5

i'd like to think luck had nothing to do with the whole thing. if you knew my entire visa journey (check the VJ archives), you'd say we had quite the opposite :wacko: it wasn't a smooth ride at all for me and my husband.

your visa approval is in motion, don't worry about it anymore... and i will be lifting you up in my prayers :yes:

pretty_wahine09

always loved the color pink, hehe

congrats to you, too

update

i just received the text message from Air21... "we have received your docs from the embassy... blah blah... expect delivery soon blah... blah..."

WOOT WOOT!

Feelicks <3 Neenuh

08.09.07 received NOA1

09.23.07 received NOA2

12.15.07 mailed DS-3032

01.04.08 received IV fee

03.07.09 visas in hand

04.20.09 Arrived at SFO

05.05.09 Received SSN

Finally, congratulations!! :dancing::dance:

You are more than welcome for any help I may have provided. Many of us started this journey two years ago in April. Now, if gogo gets their visa the April 07 thread will be complete.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Finally, congratulations!! :dancing::dance:

You are more than welcome for any help I may have provided. Many of us started this journey two years ago in April. Now, if gogo gets their visa the April 07 thread will be complete.

Thanks, Ed!

Still no dice on gogo's visa? I lost track of the entire April 2007 thread. Kind of felt bad everyone's journey was moving along while mine and feelicks' kept on hitting walls and road bumps. Thank God it's all over. Any word on the others?

Btw, Meryll has already added me :-) hoping to meet her before we fly to CA.

Feelicks <3 Neenuh

08.09.07 received NOA1

09.23.07 received NOA2

12.15.07 mailed DS-3032

01.04.08 received IV fee

03.07.09 visas in hand

04.20.09 Arrived at SFO

05.05.09 Received SSN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.