windchaser_4

Manila Embassy Interview

7,088 posts in this topic

What do we do now? The bank refused to do anything with the DS-157 that she took with her. Am I out the $200 for her and Robin?

I wouldn't think your out the $200. The instructions in the K1 packet has always said the bank will "validate" the DS-156 form, but the Bank has always validated the incorrect DS-157 form anyway. I believe the embassy looks for the receipt instead of the validated form due to that confusion. (something lost in translation I suspect)

Someone has their wires crossed. I did a little more digging. Here is another page from the Embassy web site.

DS-157 Form – Applicants should also complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Supplemental Application DS-157 Form. The form is provided at the bank where fees are paid. Applicants must ensure that the back of the DS-157 Form is machine-validated with check-rite. The U.S. Embassy does not validate DS-157 Forms.

Applicants whose DS-157 Form is not machine-validated with check-rite will NOT be allowed to enter the Embassy premises. The applicant will then have to book another interview appointment. Re-bookings do not require another application fee.

http://usembassy.state.gov/manila/wwwhniv1.html

Is this just out of date info on the embassy web site or is it current policy?

Maybe I was wrong before. Jenalyn said that during her interview last month that one lady was sent packing when her DS-157 wasn't stamped. They told her to go back to bank and get the stamp. So it sounds like current policy.

I just get more and more confused now. I sent my lawyer an email about this. He said it's the DS-156 that needs to be validated. (this makes sense because its the one with the bar code and there is one for each her and her son. The DS-157 isn't done for each of them) He said that the DS-157 is not the form that needs stamped. Jeeez! Why can't anything be easy! Anyone know what is right here?????

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone! My interview is next week and im really starting to get nervous. My fiance just had I-134 notarized. Our question guys is -its just an ink notary, will that be ok? or it should be embossed or something like that?

Thanks alot :)

I'm a notary. You will have a hard time finding a notary here in the states that still uses the "embossing" type of notary stamp. The preference here in the states has gone to all ink stamp notaries because the old style do not show up on photocopies. You should be fine IMHO.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

GaryC & LucyC

The DS-157 (Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application) is the form the bank validates when you pay the visa application fee. In some cases, the bank will not valdate your completed DS-157 form. It is adviced that you contact the bank beforehand to inquire if they will validate the back of your completed DS-157 form. The bank will also give the beneficiary a pink 4x5 receipt. Unfortunately the USE was careless with this oversight in the Packet 4 information, which is why someone requested that I correct it and post our own Packet 4 here on VJ (if you click on the one in my signature you will not see this error). Most lawyers will not be aware of this error, which is why this forum is so great. As a collective body, we know more than the professionals via experience and research.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

GaryC & LucyC

The DS-157 (Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application) is the form the bank validates when you pay the visa application fee. In some cases, the bank will not valdate your completed DS-157 form. It is adviced that you contact the bank beforehand to inquire if they will validate the back of your completed DS-157 form. The bank will also give the beneficiary a pink 4x5 receipt. Unfortunately the USE was careless with this oversight in the Packet 4 information, which is why someone requested that I correct it and post our own Packet 4 here on VJ (if you click on the one in my signature you will not see this error). Most lawyers will not be aware of this error, which is why this forum is so great. As a collective body, we know more than the professionals via experience and research.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

What happens if her bank will not validate her form? I am sure they will not refund the money so she can go to another branch. Also, should there be a seperate DS-157 form for her and another one for her son?

Yes, I am getting very stressed and nervous over all this. One week away from her interview and I can't even get how to pay the fees right.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
hi..

we just got approved today..and hoping to pick up the visa on friday..as of now, we're here in DIAMOND hotel..

i may not be as informative like others, but these are the things that i remembered so far..please bear with me..

documents that we're asked to get a number.:

ds-156k - there should be a signature below "do not write below this line" part..(its a must!)

2 ds-157

2 ds-156- with pictures pasted not stapled on it (2x2 white background/visa background)

***the people outside the embassy whose taking care of the line with all the rented chairs for 10pesos each, they will really try their very best to tell you that your picture is too big, too small,you needed another 4 pcs of pictures, etc.etc.etc...NEVER BELIEVE THEM..

just make sure to paste 2 pictures on ds-156, then youre fine, the other 2 pictures were already forwarded to the embassy FROM ST. LUKES..

filipina interviewer:

NBI

BC

CENOMAR --she didnt asked for it but i volunteered to give it to her and she said "oh, good for you, thanks"

PICTURES

I-134

2005 ITR

consul:

didnt ask for additional documents

just asked me and larry about the number of times he visited me..

im really thankful for all the informations i got from this forum,...some girls which we met there, thought im very smart, coz i know what to do next, what to expect next,.....GRRR...im not...i told them, i just read alot in the forums..

thank u once again..

and goodluck to all incoming interviews.

Godbless...

On the DS-156K it says "DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS LINE" and then "the consular office will assist you in answering this part". I take this to mean it needs to be signed in front of the officer, no?

Timeline

Here is the clarification....

Thea only gave a few documents to the interviewer. During the interview (very brief), the officer there flipped through the package that was recieved from the US. It seems that the complete submission package is received at the embassy. Thea said that she saw on that package that it was marked approved from our side. It seems that the waiver caught her attention and she took it to someone else. Both of them looked at it for a bit, then the interviewer came back and said for Thea to wait. From there, the next thing she knew she was dealing with the Delbros counter.

No idea if this means anything at all. I will let you all know anything as I learn it.

S&T

3/11/06 - 3/26/06 Visited my baby in the PI's

3/29/06 - K1 packet recieved at NSC

6/01/06 - Redirected to CSC

6/14/06 - CSC e-mailed confirmation on the reciept of file

6/23/06 - They they sent the IMBRA RFE

7/03/06 - The emailed that the IMBRA RFE went out on 6/23/06

7/03/06 - I received IMBRA RFE

7/05/06 - Touched

7/06/06 - Delivery Confirmation from the Post Office RFE recieved

7/11/06 - Email notification from CSC that IMBRA RFE Recieved

7/12/06 - Touched (but was to respond to an email that only said 'request recieved and will be processed within 30 days. argh)

7/13/06 - Touched

NOA2 September 11!!!

10/18/06 - Received at Embassy

12/23/06 - Recieved package with interview/medical schedule

01/08/06 - CFO interview/(pre-departure class) Complete

1/11/07 & 1/12/07 Medical complete

02/05/07 - Interview!!!

2/7/07 (2/8/07 manila) - Informed we are approved...3 days after interview.

2/12/07 Visa Received

2/16/07 Baby arrives in US!!!!!

4/14/07 Wedding

4/21/07 Filed AOS

Timeline
Hey can you check out my interview checklist. This is what we will have with us.

Interview Appointment Letter original and 1 copy.

Valid photo ID (NBI badge) and 1 copy.

Passport copy (St. Luke’s took the original during the medical and sent to the Embassy).

Original NSO Birth Certificate, original and 1 copy.

CENOMAR original and 1 copy.

NBI Clearance with "For US Travel" or "For Travel Abroad" stamp and thumbprint, original and 1 copy.

Passport-sized photos (2 in addition to those on the DS-156 forms).

VISA Application Forms

- DS-156 (2 completed and signed forms with photos glued on, and 1 copy).

- DS-156K (2 completed and signed forms, and 1 copy). DO NOT SIGN BEFORE INTERVIEW!

- DS-157 (2 completed and signed form – 1 must be stamped with BPI payment, and 1 copy).

- DS-230, part 1 (2 completed and signed forms, and 1 copy).

I-134F Affidavit of Support form (notarized), 2 originals with copies.

Supporting documentation for I-134F (affidavit of support folder)

- Fiancé employment letter (2 originals with copies).

- Fiancé last 3 years income tax forms (copies of 1040 form).

- Copies of last 3 years W-2 forms.

- Bank statements for last 3 months. (NOT REQUIRED)

- SIX (6) MONTHS OF PAYSTUBS (MISSING)

- Bank letter showing date account opened, deposits for last year and current balance.

USCIS I-797C Notice of Approval original and 1 copy.

NVC letter original and 1 copy (this will show spelling error too).

New letter of intent from each of me, signed and dated.

Copy of original I-129F packet with original receipts, etc.

Evidence of ongoing relationship

- Pictures

- Snail mail cards and letters

- Chat logs

- Emails

- Phone records

- Engagement ring receipt

- Receipts and ticket stubs from second trip in October

- Records of Western Union and XOOM money transfers.

Did I leave anything out ??????????????????? :hehe:

Gary505:

1. You are not required to submit any bank statements.

2. However, we did submit six (6) months of paystubs for which you are missing from your list.

3. Please be sure that your pictures are not copies. The USE only accept original pictures. For example, my wife and I made copies of our online photo album on paper for which the USE did not accept. Lucking we also brought our photo album that was accepted and reviewed by the CO and returned subsequent to the interview.

4. I also noticed that you stated the NVC letter has a typo. Did the USE mis-spell your fiancee's name on any of the corespondence with your fiancee? If so, please have your fiancee address that with the CO, and/or call the USE at your earliest convenience to ensure that error is not translated onto the Visa. If this is the case, it's imperative that your fiancee's name on the Visa is correct. Traveling with a misprint on a Visa will endeed cause you unnecessary heartache that you will not need.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

p.s. - The USE will take one complete copy of your I-134 Affidavit of Support and back-up because only one is required per visa applicant, but do take both copies.

1. I got the bank statements and bank letter just in case they ask!!!

2. Did they ask for the pay stubs?

3. How many pictures do they want?

4. Yes NVC had my fiancee's first name spelled wrong (Frorenda vs Florenda) but I sent a fax to them requesting a correction and it was correct in all correspondence from the Embassy.

I know I have way more than they will ask for but out interview is 2/13 and I bought return tickets for 2/23 so I don't want any delays! :o

Timeline
This is really starting to bug me. I sent Luz to pay for the interview. She took with her the DS-156 and the DS-157. The bank said the it was no longer necessary to stamp the forms. They only gave her a signed receipt with some sort of stamp on it. I asked my lawyer about it and he also said that the DS forms don't need any kind of a stamp from the bank. Now which is it? The DS forms stamped or not stamped?

I suppose the procedure could have changed, but my fiancee paid BPI yesterday and got a blank DS-157 form from them, stamped on the back.

Timeline
Ok, I just found the answer to my question.

http://usembassy.state.gov/manila/wwwhniv3.html

The fee can be paid during normal business hours (Mondays to Fridays: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) at any of the designated banks listed below. The Form DS-157 will be machine-validated by the bank at the back of the form to reflect payment.

What do we do now? The bank refused to do anything with the DS-157 that she took with her. Am I out the $200 for her and Robin?

I think she should have gotten a stamped blank DS-157 from the bank. Apparently they don't like to stamp the filled-up form they bring, though nobody knows why.

hi..

we just got approved today..and hoping to pick up the visa on friday..as of now, we're here in DIAMOND hotel..

i may not be as informative like others, but these are the things that i remembered so far..please bear with me..

documents that we're asked to get a number.:

ds-156k - there should be a signature below "do not write below this line" part..(its a must!)

2 ds-157

2 ds-156- with pictures pasted not stapled on it (2x2 white background/visa background)

***the people outside the embassy whose taking care of the line with all the rented chairs for 10pesos each, they will really try their very best to tell you that your picture is too big, too small,you needed another 4 pcs of pictures, etc.etc.etc...NEVER BELIEVE THEM..

just make sure to paste 2 pictures on ds-156, then youre fine, the other 2 pictures were already forwarded to the embassy FROM ST. LUKES..

filipina interviewer:

NBI

BC

CENOMAR --she didnt asked for it but i volunteered to give it to her and she said "oh, good for you, thanks"

PICTURES

I-134

2005 ITR

consul:

didnt ask for additional documents

just asked me and larry about the number of times he visited me..

im really thankful for all the informations i got from this forum,...some girls which we met there, thought im very smart, coz i know what to do next, what to expect next,.....GRRR...im not...i told them, i just read alot in the forums..

thank u once again..

Godbless...

Congratulations Jeramie for you and your child!!!

I am glad you both made it though your interview, I hope my help was ok!

recieved @ CSC: 5-5-06

NOA1 mailed: 5-16-06

RFE 6-23-06

RFE mailed 8-7-06

Approved NOA2 9-07-06

Approved NOA2 email :) 9-11-06

Interview 02-01-07

AR lifted 03-14-07

visa delivery 03-17-07

Flight to USA POE LAX!!! 04-20-07 Welcome to America!

CIVIL MARRIAGE 04-27-07

SSN Applied for 05-18-07

AOS PREP TIME!!! ??-??-??

K2 interview APPROVED

Case Number: MNL20067682##

Visa Classification: K1

St. Luke's Appointment Date: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 (7:00:00 AM)

Embassy Appointment Date: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 (7:30:00 AM) (Approved )

Visa in hand 02-21-08

Travel clearance required by DSWD for the husband of his step-son!

Flight to the US for her son same POE 03-18-08

Garya505

Q. Did they ask for the pay stubs?

A. Actually, I don't believe they do. I just followed the back-up instructions from the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) used for the Adjustment of Status (AOS) part of the process because the I-134 does not give a definitive answer for my taste. LOL!

Q. How many pictures do they want?

A. There are no set number of pictures that are required. Just bring the ones that make you look good. LOL! Take the ones that you like fo the both of you.

Sheriff Uling

p.s. - It's always better to have more than less...

Edited by Sheriff Uling

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Iniibig ko si Luz forever (GaryC)

Q. What happens if her bank will not validate her form?

A. They will give you a blank form that is validated on the back. You may simply keep your completed DS-157 form and bring the blank validated form. (make copies of both for your submission to the USE)

Q. DS-157 form for her and another one for her son?

A. Yes there should be a validated DS-157 form for each visa applicant. (make copies for the USE)

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

hi..

thank u once again..

Godbless...

congrats on the approval! :thumbs: I'll tell Yazi.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline
Quick question in our interview this coming march do they need a 2006 recent tax return cause i just read on another post she was put on AR because she cant provide a 2006 tax return...?? Just a question do they need it?? for march interview?

Hi maylet29,

As I understand it, the tax return and W2 are required as supporting documents for the I134 as proof of income. And as Roy pointed out. it is too early to file for the 2006 tax return... so we thought of presenting "another" proof of income, which would be my fiance's paystubs for the whole of 2006.

But this is just my fiancee and me thinking... would love to hear what others would do.

Oh. and we have the same interview date :)

Gen

Interesting observations. Can't see why anyone would be put on AR for not producing a tax return for 2006, the deadline is not met yet for IRS filing. But just in case, I would suggest providing your W2 for 2006 which you should have by now just in case. This is what I intend to hold in reserve in case they ask about it. As PW pointed out, "only answer what they ask and give them what they request". Don't offer anything verbally or materially.

02-20-07 INTERVIEW!!! APPROVED!!!

02-27-07 Visa Delivered (Makati)

02-28-07 Arrive Tucson, Thanks God!

03-13-07 Got marriage license

03-16-07 Apply for SSN

03-29-07 SSN received

04-21-07 Wedding Tucson Botanical Gardens

05-02-07 Mailed AOS

05-03-07 AOS received Chicago

05-11-07 NOA1 receipt

05-29-07 Bio appt

05-30-07 touch

07-02-07 interview letter snailmail

08-27-07 INTERVIEW!

Bah! I am such a dumb-azz! I told Luz to print out the filled out DS 157 to take to the bank. When she came back she told me that they would not stamp the back of her form I asked what she got for the $200 and she said a receipt and a piece of paper with a stamp on it. Here is where I screwed up. I didn't ask her what was on the other side of the paper. Its a blank DS-157! Sorry guys, I'm going a bit nuts here trying to get it all in one sock.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.