Overin2911

EAD Card - Should the A# on the card match

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Well, after spending the entire day at immigration, the airport and the social security office - we are home & p*ssed.

We took my husbands EAD card and "its taking 4 weeks to verify..." letter from the SS office to the local immigration dept. It has been 5 weeks since we applied for the number. I asked them why they still had not entered his information into the SAVE system or verified my husbands documents for SS.

The lady looked up my husbands details and jotted his A# down on a piece of paper. It looks like she went to another system and said, well - he is in there, I can see him. Then she looked at his I-94 and proceeded to tell us that his POE had not written his A# on the back. She then handed us instructions to return to the airport and have an immigration officer write the number in for us. SO like good little soldiers we drove to DIA. The officer of course looked at us like we were crazy, took the A# off our I-485 Interview letter we had with us and wrote it down. Something I or the lady at immigration could have done!

I specifically asked the lady at immigration if adding the A# to the back of the I-94 would now work and that SS would be able to find him. She said yes. So off to the SS office we went. Not very long of a wait, thank god. The employee said - no, I still cant verify him, I will need to copy his documents and mail them to the INS. I said don't bother, you guys already did that 5 weeks ago.

As we were talking, I noticed that the A# on my husbands EAD card did NOT match the A# on any of his receipts.

Are they supposed to match? If they are, how long does it take to get the new card?

Our 485 interview is in 4 weeks - the only things we have in "our" names are health and auto insurance. (GRRR)

Thanks for your help....

11-08-05 Interview

11-08-05 A/R with full set of fingerprints

12-23-05 45 day minimum - only fingerprints are back

12-30-05 Still waiting for results at DOS

01-23-06 I-130 Approved (via email on Friday the 13th) (Got to NVC 2/6/06)

01-27-06 Still Waiting - 80th day of A/R

02-08-06 You have got to be kidding me.......

02-16-06 Receive letter from Embassy to return with emails and passports! (DOS complete 1/12/06)

02-19-06 Flight from Karachi to Islamabad

02-21-06 Drops off recent chats and old passport at Embassy

02-21-06 Embassy Issues Visa!!! YaaaaFreeeakinHooo!

02-22-06 Flight from ISL to Karachi (dont get me started on why they could not just hand him his passport yesterday)

02-23-06 - Argue with AMEX for an hour to make them look for the embassy shipment

02-28-06 - He's here..... now off to AOS!

05-12-06 - EAD Card Received

07-23-06 - After 10 weeks, SSN in hand!

07-25-06 - AOS Interview

07-25-06 - AOS 'semi-approved' waiting FBI name check GRR!!

09-23-06 - Welcome Notice in the Mail!!!

08-04-08 NOA 1 Removing Conditions

08-28-08 Bio Appt

01-02-09 Nothing, not even a touch! I was really hoping one step would go smooth.

01-27-09 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!! Yaahoo, finally!!! Next Step Naturalization.

11-09-09 N-400 Delivered - Phoenix

03-16-10 Oath Ceremony - Denver CO - DONE! DONE! DONE!

Don't ask me anything, I'm making this up as I go along

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
Well, after spending the entire day at immigration, the airport and the social security office - we are home & p*ssed.

We took my husbands EAD card and "its taking 4 weeks to verify..." letter from the SS office to the local immigration dept. It has been 5 weeks since we applied for the number. I asked them why they still had not entered his information into the SAVE system or verified my husbands documents for SS.

The lady looked up my husbands details and jotted his A# down on a piece of paper. It looks like she went to another system and said, well - he is in there, I can see him. Then she looked at his I-94 and proceeded to tell us that his POE had not written his A# on the back. She then handed us instructions to return to the airport and have an immigration officer write the number in for us. SO like good little soldiers we drove to DIA. The officer of course looked at us like we were crazy, took the A# off our I-485 Interview letter we had with us and wrote it down. Something I or the lady at immigration could have done!

I specifically asked the lady at immigration if adding the A# to the back of the I-94 would now work and that SS would be able to find him. She said yes. So off to the SS office we went. Not very long of a wait, thank god. The employee said - no, I still cant verify him, I will need to copy his documents and mail them to the INS. I said don't bother, you guys already did that 5 weeks ago.

As we were talking, I noticed that the A# on my husbands EAD card did NOT match the A# on any of his receipts.

Are they supposed to match? If they are, how long does it take to get the new card?

Our 485 interview is in 4 weeks - the only things we have in "our" names are health and auto insurance. (GRRR)

Thanks for your help....

I dont understand one thing...u said that the lady at the port of entry didnt write down the I94 number on the back of the white form. I dont understand this cuz the I94 numb is PRINTED on the front of the document Nobody writes it down.

Maria

Got married in Killeen, Texas on April 27 2004

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 12 2005 - Sent I-130 to NSC

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 7 2005 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Dec 5 2005 - NOA 2 - I-129F Approved!!! (28 days)

Dec 13 2005 - Application Forwarded to NVC

Dec 16 2005 - Application received by the Consulate in Italy

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 10 2006 - Sent "Applicant's Statement" to Naples

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

Feb 22 2006 - Medical and Interview

Feb 22 2006 - Interview... APPROVED Got the Visa!!!

Mar 2 2006 - I-130 case *touched*

Mar 6 2006 - RFE for the I-130 (Marriage Certificate)

Mar 14 2006 - Sent RFE to CSC

Mar 21 2006 - RFE received by CSC

Mar 30 2006 - Detroit POE - Got the I-94

Mar 31 2006 - I-130 NOA 2 - APPROVED!!! (170 days)

*°AOS°*

Mar 31 2006 - I-765 sent to Chicago

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 7 2006 - Vaccination Supplement appt. in Cleveland

Apr 13 2006 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter

Apr 18 2006 - EAD Biometrics in Pittsburg

Apr 22 2006 - I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

May 3 2006 - EAD Approved!! (33 days)

May 5 2006 - EAC received (NOA2)

May 5 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

May 8 2006 - Applied for Social Security Number

May 11 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment in Pittsburgh

May 18 2006 - Social Security Card arrived in the mail

May 18 2006 - Interview Appointment Letter

May 31 2006 - Flew back to Italy

Jun 24 2006 - I-485 *touched*

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Some people wind up with multiple A#s; it will be sorted out at the AOS interview.

If mdyoung does not stop by your thread, send him a PM with a link; he will have some info on dealing with the SSA office for you.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
I dont understand one thing...u said that the lady at the port of entry didnt write down the I94 number on the back of the white form. I dont understand this cuz the I94 numb is PRINTED on the front of the document Nobody writes it down.

Maria

maria.. the I-94 was on the front, the lady at Denver Immigration told us the "A" number had to be written on the back of it by the CO at the POE. - this was news to me, but nothing surprises me anymore..

Some people wind up with multiple A#s; it will be sorted out at the AOS interview.

If mdyoung does not stop by your thread, send him a PM with a link; he will have some info on dealing with the SSA office for you.

Thanks and Ya for us - what a waste of an EAD application fee! :D:crying:

Laney

11-08-05 Interview

02-16-06 Receive letter from Embassy to return with emails and passports! (DOS complete 1/12/06)

02-22-06 Flight from ISL to Karachi (dont get me started on why they could not just hand him his passport yesterday)

02-23-06 - Argue with AMEX for an hour to make them look for the embassy shipment

07-25-06 - AOS Interview

08-28-08 Bio Appt

01-02-09 Nothing, not even a touch! I was really hoping one step would go smooth.

01-27-09 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!! Yaahoo, finally!!! Next Step Naturalization.

Timeline

Just something funny.......

I KNEW that when I called the USCIS they would tell me we had to file some sort of paperwork to get the A# corrected on my husbands EAD Card. I did not realize we had to re-file the entire application, passport photos AND ALL! :angry::angry::angry:

But my husband and I were very amused at the time she spent explaining details on how to download a new form from www.uscis.gov..... No Sh*t! My immigration fairy filed all of the 200 forms up to this point for us, I would have been lost without her help. Thank god we spent 20 minutes of cellular minutes to learn we may or may not have to re-pay the fee and that it could take another 90 days to be processed.

Grrrrrrrr - I hate mondays

11-08-05 Interview

07-25-06 - AOS Interview

08-28-08 Bio Appt

Timeline
I KNEW that when I called the USCIS they would tell me we had to file some sort of paperwork to get the A# corrected on my husbands EAD Card. I did not realize we had to re-file the entire application, passport photos AND ALL! :angry::angry::angry:

What?!?

Please don't refile anything. Especially on advice from the MisInformation Line. Can you expand on the above?

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

What?!?

Please don't refile anything. Especially on advice from the MisInformation Line. Can you expand on the above?

Sure.... I told the Misinfo line that the A# on my husbands EAD card did not match his K-3 or I-485 A#. She told us to get it corrected, we would have to refile the I-765 again, which could take up to 90 days to process and approve. She said to send proof that is was not us that made the error, which I have my copy of the original app to prove we were right. If they agree it was their error, we would not have to pay the fee again.

I'm not really sure what to do. His 485 interview is in a little over a month. I am praying he gets approved that day. He has already gone through 4 months of admin review - but knowing our luck, he'll be sent back through FBI clearance. Do we just sit and wait for SS to receive the thumbs up from Immigration or refile in case the AOS interview is sent to FBI. :bonk:

thanks....

11-08-05 Interview

07-25-06 - AOS Interview

08-28-08 Bio Appt

Timeline

What?!?

Sure.... I told the Misinfo line that the A# on my husbands EAD card did not match his K-3 or I-485 A#. She told us to get it corrected, we would have to refile the I-765 again, which could take up to 90 days to process and approve. She said to send proof that is was not us that made the error, which I have my copy of the original app to prove we were right. If they agree it was their error, we would not have to pay the fee again.

I'm not really sure what to do. His 485 interview is in a little over a month. I am praying he gets approved that day. He has already gone through 4 months of admin review - but knowing our luck, he'll be sent back through FBI clearance. Do we just sit and wait for SS to receive the thumbs up from Immigration or refile in case the AOS interview is sent to FBI. :bonk:

thanks....

OK, well. You can search the long-running group alt.visa.us.marriage-based (via google/groups) on the topic. Many, many people have had multiple A#s through the process and not ever re-filed the EAD to correct it. Please remember that the people who answer the phones at 1-800 are not immigration employees, but private contractors working from scripts (and then whatever pops into their heads). If you call again tomorrow, you will likely get a different answer. I'm responding because in the many times I've seen this come up, I have *never* heard of anyone being requested, let alone required, to refile because of differing A#s.

SSA def. screwed you around. I'll PM mike and ask him to stop by with the right drill for your situation. If you have the EAD in hand and have applied for a SS#, your husband can accept employment. I can't believe they made you go to the POE, grrr.

I just remembered one of VJ's original posters (also posted to avumb for a long time). He posts here as Andy, or over there as Andy Platt. He had multiple A#s IIRC and is a USC now; his story would confirm what I think. (I think! :) )

Point is, your husband is work authorized now. SSA needs to get the stick out of its you know what and you are being realistic by expecting a delay of approval after your interview.

You are also welcome to post your question to avumb and see what some of the old timers there have to say--i'm sure it will make you more confident on the multiple A#s. You can reach that group through this website: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdispla...daysprune=&f=35 & you don't have to be British.

IMO, hang tight and see what you can find out. Sorry you got bad info from 2 gov't agencies!

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

Thank you so much Meauxna! I think we will just hang tight and wait for SS to get confirm back from immigration. I forgot about the fact that the 800# is full of people who don't know jack about what we are doing -

I spoke with Mike before, he is really helpful. I'll keep following his advice of calling SSA frequently for updates :D

thanks for the other links...

11-08-05 Interview

07-25-06 - AOS Interview

08-28-08 Bio Appt

Filed: Timeline

The lady looked up my husbands details and jotted his A# down on a piece of paper. It looks like she went to another system and said, well - he is in there, I can see him. Then she looked at his I-94 and proceeded to tell us that his POE had not written his A# on the back. She then handed us instructions to return to the airport and have an immigration officer write the number in for us.

She said yes. So off to the SS office we went. Not very long of a wait, thank god. The employee said - no, I still cant verify him, I will need to copy his documents and mail them to the INS. I said don't bother, you guys already did that 5 weeks ago.

The multiple A#s is something you need to sort out with immigration and since your AOS interview is only 4 weeks away I would just wait until then to mention it to the interviewing officer.

If he applies for an SSN and has an EAD card that's what needs to be verified not the I-94, since that becomes his identity and work authorization document.

Even if the I-94 was being used with the A# not being on the I-94 you try the I-94 number and if you can't verify through SAVE they send the G-845.

Even if they think the document is fake they just send the G-845 you don't need to go to immigration for anything.

"Using the security guidelines that are found in SSA’s ACM for detecting fraudulent immigration and identity documents, visually examine the document under both natural and black light to see if the document’s characteristics and security features conform to the guidelines of a genuine document. If the document does not appear to be genuine, verify it with the issuing agency. Verify an immigration document with DHS using a G-845, Document Verification Request."

Suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.