niniel71

Transportation options to London and a personal problem

36 posts in this topic

He's not so sweet to get his ####### on a train for you though....you need to give him a kick up the backside, not getting a lift to the embassy is a poor excuse.

With you on that one! I mean, I went from not using public transport at all to using it for just about everything. Doesn't matter how well you know it, there's plenty of guides that explain what routes you can take.

:angry: Rrrr. I'm sorry, but there's really no excuse for it and I knew next to nothing about the public transport before I moved out from home. Not being critical on your guy, 'cause I know it can be a little nervewracking to go into a city like London when you've grown up in the suburbs or country.

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something here

You the usc is sorting out his travel arrangements ................and his mummy has to take him to the medical, sorry but I would also be so angry about it

Is his mummy going to bring him over to the states, or do you have to come and collect him

Sorry if I sound harsh, but is he actually ready for marriage

I know you love him but I would think long and hard about it

Thanks everyone for your replies you've been very helpful.

Stinky - I have thought long and hard and there's only one way to find out. We just have to go for it, take the plunge. I would rather give the marriage and relationship a chance then walk away and never really know. He's the sweetest man in the world (maybe a little shy) but I think he's worth it.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and I do hope that it works out for you

Its just off Oxford street for christs sake, it couldn't be easier to get to! Its the most famous and easy to find street in the whole country! London transport is fantastic, I have got to the grand old age of 32 without getting a driving license because of it!

Is he very young? I just can't fathom what his reasons are? I don't want to pry (well actually I do, no point lying) but have you got a very well established relationship and has he made much effort up to now to visit you, keep in touch etc etc? And does he live with his mother? Those apron strings need to be well and truly severed if he does!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You think?

I guess only Niniel71 will know.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Yeah, I think he'll get the message now!

You think?

I guess only Niniel71 will know.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Yeah, I think he'll get the message now!

:: Kaff :: yes. I hope everything works out for you guys and he finds his way into London =D.

Magpie.

I am the USC. My finacee is ready to make his medical appointment anytime. Only one problem though. He is depending on his mom to drive him to London for everything. She says the she cant take him for the medical until some time in April. Now, I'm trying to be as patient as I can be but this sounds completely unacceptable to me. He doesnt seem to want to make the effort to find other ways to get to this medical sooner. I'm sure the interview will be as difficult to find transportation as well. (A little background, he's not working currently and doesnt have a car of his own, nor would he drive by himself)

This situation has caused a huge fight between us, so much that we arent speaking today. To me, it seems that he doesnt care enough to get here and be married as fast as possible. He seems content to wait months and months. He hasnt even concidered an option other than his mom driving him. He thinks I'm being unreasonable for feeling this way. So I am I being unreasonable?

I know England has trains into London or some other kind of transportation. Anyone know of a link that I can look at to find the pricing? He lives south of Birmingham. I'm guessing maybe if I send him money, he'll get his #### on a train but who knows.

others have already given excellent advise on public transport links for your fiance to find his own way to the medical/Embassy.

Would be a shame to have to wait until April when it is relatively easy to travel within the UK.

Good luck, hope you get something arranged soon.

07/15/2008 I-129f sent to VSC

07/19/2008 I-129f received at VSC

12/09/2008 NOA2 approved

01/13/2009 Medical completed

02/03/2009 Interview - APPROVED!!

02/28/2009 POE Raleigh/Durham

05/02/2009 Official wedding day...get to see the family!

04/11/2009 AOS paperwork sent

04/17/2009 NOA for I-765 & I-131

05/13/2009 Biometrics appointment

05/08/2009 Biometrics done

06/05/2009 EAD & AP approved

06/23/2009 back in the UK

I agree with the others.

I can't drive, and live further from London than he does, but it's easy to hop on a train and read for 2 hours, then catch the right tube to Oxford Street.

At the age of 18, I was travelling to London, and then catching a plane to the states all by myself.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
To me, it seems that he doesnt care enough to get here and be married as fast as possible. He seems content to wait months and months. He hasnt even concidered an option other than his mom driving him.

I think you've answered yourself here. You may be ready to take the plunge, but from what info you've given it sounds like he's not. It might be time to seriously re-evaluate your relationship with him. If he's not willing to try to navigate and learn how to get around in his own country, do you think he will in America?

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi niniel71. I had to go down to London three times in the past year or so. It is very, very easy to get to.

My DH is a bit hopeless when it comes to things like this too, so I kind of know where you are coming from.

I used all sorts of transportation. It is very easy to get to and around London, and i'm not even from here! (I'm the usc, and i'm from NYC. Plus we are in Glasgow so it is a very long trip for us).

To travel down there we have used trains. We used the National Express website, which has already been mentioned. We also used sleeper trains.

We used the tube. it is SO easy to get around by tube. Well, it is easy for me as I live in NYC and our subway system is far more complex so perhaps that is why it is a piece of cake for me. But really, you can get tube maps and schedules, etc. online and it is very simple to use and understand all the train lines and such.

To get to airports, if you are going to use such airlines like easyjet or flybe, etc., we took easybus or National Express coaches which take you to and from central london to the airports outside of the city.

You can find EVERYTHING online. seriously.

And I cannot stress how useful map sites were, like google maps and such. If you are walking around, use them!

We have never gotten lost! :) We also have had very little trouble, except for bad luck with being out in London the two times it snowed there, so there had been delays and cancellations and such but I'm sure that won't happen to you.

Good luck to you!

zrH8.jpg8j9X0.png

Catch me on Twitter!

Our Journey

02/08/2003 - Met online

05/2004 - He came to NY to see me for first time

11/2004 - I visited him for first time in Glasgow, Scotland

05/05/2005 - I moved to Scotland on a fiancee visa

08/13/2005 - Wedding day at registry office

11/01/2005 - Applied for spouse visa

06/12/2007 - Sent in I-130

06/13/2007 - I flew back home to NY

10/27/2007 - I flew to Glasgow for a visit

11/16/2007 - Had to go down to London with DH on "official matters" at embassy. Everything resolved

01/19/2008 - DH flew to NY to be present for DD's birth

02/02/2008 - DD was born

03/2008 - I-130 FINALLY approved

04/2008 - DS-230 Part 1 posted

12/18/2008 - DS-2001 checklist posted

12/25/2008 - DD and I are in Glasgow for long visit and trip to London

01/19/2009 - Interview date received

02/02/2009 - Interview day (cancelled due to snow), medical, and DD's bday

02/12/2009 - New interview day. Visa (IR1) approved

02/18/2009 - passport picked up by secure mail services

02/24/2009 - DD and I go back home to NY

03/12/2009 - DH went back to London to have fingerprints retaken. Left with visa in hand.

03/29/2009 - DH arrived in Newark Airport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I was wondering.. does he have any problems that make it difficult for him to travel places alone? I suffer from panic disorder so getting on public transport is really difficult for me. Luckily my mum is able to come to my medical and interview with me, I have to admit.. :P but if she couldn't make it I would still be going alone, haha. If anything.. knowing that using public transport will bring me closer to being over in the USA with him makes me want to do it so much more and gives me some confidence.

Application Status

-----------

Package sent : 1st August 2008

I-129F received : 6th August 2008

NOA1 received : 14th August 2008

NOA2 received : 6th January 2009

NOA2 hard copy: 10th January 2009

NVC received: 8th January 2009

Case left NVC: 12th January 2009

Consulate recieved: 26th January 2009

Packet 3 recieved: 30th January 2009

Packet 3 sent back: 5th February 2009

Medical: 23rd February 2009

Packet 4 recieved: 5th March 2009

Interview: 27th March 2009

US entry: 6th April 2009

Marriage: 4th May 2009

AOS filed: 9th July 2009

Biometrics appointment: 15th August 2009

Case transferred to CSC: 25th September

AOS Approved: 3rd November 2009

2 Year Green card recieved: 9th November 2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I live in London and dated a girl in Birmingham for a while, I traveled there every other weekend. It's easy!!!

...and yeah, I agree with everyone else... DON'T drive to London!!

As for your relationship problems over this... it's hardly a reason to split up or anything. Remember though, you're about to start the rest of your lives together, so if there's a few extra months to wait, then so what?! Why the great rush?

(ps... I only just joined... this is my first post ever!) :o)

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

I live in London and dated a girl in Birmingham for a while, I traveled there every other weekend. It's easy!!!

...and yeah, I agree with everyone else... DON'T drive to London!!

As for your relationship problems over this... it's hardly a reason to split up or anything. Remember though, you're about to start the rest of your lives together, so if there's a few extra months to wait, then so what?! Why the great rush?

(ps... I only just joined... this is my first post ever!) :o)

=D Welcome to Visajourney...eee, another victim! I mean, member.

I agree...it's better to wait a bit. You might even want to see if you can postpone your interview...I'm not suggesting that there are problems in the relationship, but for whatever reason your fellow isn't comfortable with travelling into London, he should do it himself (unless like Furious Biscuit said, he's got problems that prevent him from doing so). This is a choice that he's making, and he should be confident in his interview to show that he isn't reluctant to make the step to the US.

Hugs, and good luck!

Magpie.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.