njaxfl

Tax Return

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband and i are wondering if he could include me and my 2 children as his dependents,we've been here in the US for 4 months as K3 &K4..I still dont have SSN

for we haven't apply our AOS yet,Is there any option.And how can my children obtain thier SSN?husband will get his tax return ready soon...If someone out there has

knowledge about this matter please advice..Thanks a lot

Edited by wemissedbigdaddy

LOVE IS PATIENT, LOVE IS KIND. IT DOES NOT ENVY, IT DOES NOT NOT BOAST, IT IS NOT PROUD. IT IS NOT RUDE, IT IS NOT SELF-SEEKING, IT IS NOT EASILY ANGERED, IT KEEPS NO RECORD OF WRONGS. LOVE DOES NOT DELIGHT IN EVIL BUT REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH. IT ALWAYS PROTECTS, ALWAYS TRUST, ALWAYS HOPES, ALWAYS PERSEVERSE. LOVE NEVER FAILS.

My husband and i are wondering if he could include me and my 2 children as his dependents,we've been here in the US for 4 months as K3 &K4..I still dont have SSN

for we haven't apply our AOS yet,Is there any option.And how can my children obtain thier SSN?husband will get his tax return ready soon...If someone out there has

If you were married in 2008, then you and your husband can file a joint return. There are a few things you have to do extra, and there are a few threads around here on VJ telling you how to do it. Mainly, you need to make a statement asking to be treatied as a resident for tax purposes for the entire year of 2008, and declare the worldwide income in 2008, for both spouses. You can probably exclude what you earned in the Philippines, there is a form for that. The instructions should be included in the 1040 family packet you received from the IRS in the mail.

I know someone will flush out the rest of the details here on VJ, I am sure. Try the Wiki on the top of the page.

--Bullwinkle

P.S. You should be able to visit your local SSA office to get your SSN or ITIN your husband needs to file the tax return.

Edited by Rocky_nBullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

sis this thread helped me a lot: especially this statement.,,

QUOTE (Cecile and Bryan @ Feb 5 2009, 08:28 AM) *

Alright so we tried a little more with TaxCut with no luck (btw we were using the online version, so supposedly up-to-date). So I decided to just try to fill out the form manually.

I think we did pretty good, the amount in the end is what TaxCut told us + the $600 recovery rebate or whatever it is called. For info, we're pretty sure TaxCut told us the right amount, the problem is that it says there are errors so we can't proceed until the end. So we did it manually. It wasn't too hard since there are only two files and the instructions are pretty good most of the time. We even did the state taxes too.

Assuming all this is good, I know we have to add a statement saying that we want me to be treated as a US resident even though I don't have my green card yet.

But I have one more question: am I supposed to show a proof of my foreign income (the US citizen shows his W2, what does the foreign spouse show?) and if so, what am I supposed to give them? I didn't find any instructions about that.

I've mailed mine. It included in this order:

* Subsitute W2 Form 4852 filled out and signed by the one with foreign income.

* USCs W2s attached to front of 1040

* Form 1040

* Schedule B & D (you might not have these depending on your income)

* Form 2555EZ Foreign Earned Income Exclusion ( I did the pdf version from irs.gov where you can type and save and print)

* Statement: Nonresident spouse treated as resident signed by both

You could have different Schedules, like Schedule A if you itemize or other forms that fit your return so my list is not what everybody would have. Bolded items you would have most likely. I chose to use the 2555EZ from the IRS and took out the 2555 printed by TurboTax because it was a shorter, easier form for people not taking a housing exclusion. I flled it in on TurboTax to do the exclusion but traded forms for mailing. There wasn't an EZ in my version of TurboTax.

There's always free TurboTax online if you want to give it a run through to compare totals. I came up with the same number on both free online versions. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check yourself since this is a complicated tax year. TurboTax wil let you move forward without info being completed.

Edit: Forgot to say, no actual UK documents were sent as "proof" of income. Just the subsitute W2 Form 4852.

😁

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you were married in 2008, then you and your husband can file a joint return. There are a few things you have to do extra, and there are a few threads around here on VJ telling you how to do it. Mainly, you need to make a statement asking to be treatied as a resident for tax purposes for the entire year of 2008, and declare the worldwide income in 2008, for both spouses. You can probably exclude what you earned in the Philippines, there is a form for that. The instructions should be included in the 1040 family packet you received from the IRS in the mail.

I know someone will flush out the rest of the details here on VJ, I am sure. Try the Wiki on the top of the page.

--Bullwinkle

P.S. You should be able to visit your local SSA office to get your SSN or ITIN your husband needs to file the tax return.

well,we arrived here early October 2008,should that count?

Edited by wemissedbigdaddy

LOVE IS PATIENT, LOVE IS KIND. IT DOES NOT ENVY, IT DOES NOT NOT BOAST, IT IS NOT PROUD. IT IS NOT RUDE, IT IS NOT SELF-SEEKING, IT IS NOT EASILY ANGERED, IT KEEPS NO RECORD OF WRONGS. LOVE DOES NOT DELIGHT IN EVIL BUT REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH. IT ALWAYS PROTECTS, ALWAYS TRUST, ALWAYS HOPES, ALWAYS PERSEVERSE. LOVE NEVER FAILS.

Since your on a K3 visa that mean your married so you do not even need to arrive so yes even arriving in Oct counts.

Love forever,

Dale & Trisha

Married: 9/29/2008

K3 Visa

POE-MSP: 3/13/2009

AOS/EAD

Greencard received: 08/29/2009

Removal of Conditions:

Approved: 10/20/2011

Citizenship

9/19/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.