Ano

Dual citizenship for our baby?

3 posts in this topic

My wife and son are in the Philippines for a month, I asked her to look in to applying for dual citizenship for our baby. Has anyone done this in Manila? What does it entail? We would like to be able to put any real estate in his name if we ever decide to buy property there. Are there any downsides for our anak if we decide to pursue this and can she accomplish this without me being present?

Mis kita, talaga! Lub U Egay…

Who is a natural-born Filipino citizen?

Under the Philippine Constitution, a natural-born citizen is a person born of one or both parents who are Filipino citizens at the time of birth.

Does the law RA 9225 apply to dual citizens?

RA 9225 does not apply to dual citizens, i.e., those who have both Philippine citizenship as well as foreign citizenship not acquired through naturalization.

A child born of parents who are both Filipino citizens (at the time of birth) in a country that adheres to the jus soli principle (e.g., the United States) is a dual citizen. The child, who is a natural-born Filipino because the Philippines adheres to the jus sanginis principle, is also entitled to apply for a US passport.

Jus soli (right of soil) is the legal principle that a person's nationality at birth is determined by the place of birth (i.e., the territory of a given state).

Jus sanguinis (right of blood) is the legal principle that, at birth, an individual acquires the nationality of his/her natural parent/s.

A child born of one parent who is a Filipino citizen (at the time of birth) and of one foreign parent (e.g., Australian) whose country adheres to the jus sanguinis principle is a dual citizen and is entitled to apply for both Philippine and Australian passports.

A child born of one parent who is a Filipino citizen (at the time of birth) and of one foreign parent (e.g, Australian) whose country adheres to the jus sanguinis principle in a country that adheres to the jus soli principle (e.g., US) would be entitled to apply for Philippine, Australian and US passports.

source

Rocky

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Just go to DFA and get a Philippine passport for your son and he is dual citizen already.

Thats what Bureau of Immigration told me and if you do that..no need to pay for exit permit..just go there show your son's 2 passports..one US passport and one Philippine passport..tell them your son is exiting 2 passports.

N-400 Naturalization

04/25/2012 - sent N-400 package to USCIS Dallas

04/28/2012 - package delivered at USCIS Dallas

I-751 Removal of Condition

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

03/24/2011 - package delivered at VSC according to USPS tracking

03/25/2011 - package received by Center Director according to Return receipt

04/04/2011 - NOA received - dated 03/25/2011

04/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice received -notice date 04/08/2011

04/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment - Done!

10/14/2011 - Card Production Email

10/17/2011 - Approval Notice received - dated 10/06/2011

11/04/2011 - 10yrs green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.