HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Like I said the majority I have met. My experience is there are the guys that don't care (majority I have met) and then the guys that should be working in the private sector making a bundle cause they are so good at their jobs.

Then come steer it in the right direction.

I will jump in at any moment :) I just need time to read the novels being written. LOL

I look forward to you jumping in! We can continue to discuss the topic of civil service and contractors more!

I decided to go civil service for several reasons. First, was the job. I really wanted the position I have now, because as a contractor, I dealt with these guys, and respected them, which was a change. Second, I hated the senior management in the company I was working for, which is the biggest problem with most contractors... not the actual workers. Third, it allowed me to apply my military time towards my retirement, which is a big thing for me. I also wanted to show that not all civil servants are lazy and incompetent! Yeah, I'm not making the kind of money I could in the private sector, but I do like my job, and its benefits.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

Plus it can be used for her ID, since it has her Birthdate and she won't need to carry her passport everywhere. In Vegas she will get ID'd everywhere.

You can probably get her a state ID. Rin got a TN ID for identification only (looks like a DL but is laid out in portrait instead of landscape. The first month she was here we went to Beale St. She got carded. I handed the guy her Thai ID and pointed to her birthdate (year 2521). He didn't ask, just let her in. Maybe he is versed in the Thai calendar?

Once Chutima received her GC, we were able to get her a FL ID card. After that, I found a website here in FL that you could pay a nominal fee (I think like only $49) and take practice tests. They claimed that if you could pass all of their tests, then you could pass the FL written exam, and that is what Chutima did. Of course I got her the FL driving booklet, and after many days of translating using her electronic dictionary, she was able to pass all the tests online, and then successfully passed her written exam.

That is as far as we have gotten, because I know from personal experience... NEVER try to teach your wife how to drive!!! Besides the possibility of suffering a coronary, or getting into an accident, it is really tough on a new marriage! Find a driving school!

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Plus it can be used for her ID, since it has her Birthdate and she won't need to carry her passport everywhere. In Vegas she will get ID'd everywhere.

You can probably get her a state ID. Rin got a TN ID for identification only (looks like a DL but is laid out in portrait instead of landscape. The first month she was here we went to Beale St. She got carded. I handed the guy her Thai ID and pointed to her birthdate (year 2521). He didn't ask, just let her in. Maybe he is versed in the Thai calendar?

Once Chutima received her GC, we were able to get her a FL ID card. After that, I found a website here in FL that you could pay a nominal fee (I think like only $49) and take practice tests. They claimed that if you could pass all of their tests, then you could pass the FL written exam, and that is what Chutima did. Of course I got her the FL driving booklet, and after many days of translating using her electronic dictionary, she was able to pass all the tests online, and then successfully passed her written exam.

That is as far as we have gotten, because I know from personal experience... NEVER try to teach your wife how to drive!!! Besides the possibility of suffering a coronary, or getting into an accident, it is really tough on a new marriage! Find a driving school!

Yeah, this has been my thinking too... I'm really not bothered by this whole issue of getting a DL in Thailand.

Thanti doesn't drive, but she understands that she really will need to in the US eventually, if she wants to be truly independent here. But it's not crucial for us that she does so immediately. The Metra train (commuter rail into downtown Chicago) is an 8 minute walk from the house, the local supermarket (Jewel Osco) and Walgreens and shops are also walking distance. I barely drive myself. So she can be quite independent without needing to drive.

Also, Thanti's English- written and spoken- is excellent. So I'm not too worried about written driving tests. Our game plan will be to enroll her in a drivers Ed class when she's adjusted and ready, and take it from there.

Timeline

I should also reiterate… w/o a GC, or an EAD, your spouse will NOT be able to apply for either an ID or DL in MOST states. In addition, regardless of whether or not they have an International DL, they will still need to take both the written and driving tests in order to get a state DL. If you want them to start learning how to drive in Thailand first, that’s one thing. If you think that getting the International DL will really help for anything… it won’t. Additionally, it might not be a good idea for them to learn how to drive in Thailand, and then turn around and have to re-learn how to drive in the US, because of the different driving patterns. Just my 2 baht worth! ;)

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline
I should also reiterate… w/o a GC, or an EAD, your spouse will NOT be able to apply for either an ID or DL in MOST states. In addition, regardless of whether or not they have an International DL, they will still need to take both the written and driving tests in order to get a state DL. If you want them to start learning how to drive in Thailand first, that’s one thing. If you think that getting the International DL will really help for anything… it won’t. Additionally, it might not be a good idea for them to learn how to drive in Thailand, and then turn around and have to re-learn how to drive in the US, because of the different driving patterns. Just my 2 baht worth! ;)

Yeah, that's basically what I figured too. Which is why for the life of me I just don't follow all this stuff about getting DLs in Thailand. I mean, if she already has a Thai DL, fine. But if not, what's the big deal about getting one, and trying to convert it to an International DL? Seems like a supreme waste of time to me.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

1- Heed that warning, DO NOT teach your wife to drive. I know this from experience.

2- I used 3 ring binders for everything, when my wife came out, everything was taken out of the rings and out of the plastic sleeves.

3- Also, the original name change and divorce papers were in the mix. They looked right over them and asked for them again. so? what can you do? go get them again.

this same interviewer, when I went into the Embassy in September to find out how long the police report was good for, I heard him interviewing a buddhist monk saying, "yes, i understand you use the laws of god, but we are a nation governed by the laws of man, this is what we abide by and that is why I am here talking to you". arrogant #######

Timeline
1- Heed that warning, DO NOT teach your wife to drive. I know this from experience.

3- Also, the original name change and divorce papers were in the mix. They looked right over them and asked for them again. so? what can you do? go get them again.

this same interviewer, when I went into the Embassy in September to find out how long the police report was good for, I heard him interviewing a buddhist monk saying, "yes, i understand you use the laws of god, but we are a nation governed by the laws of man, this is what we abide by and that is why I am here talking to you". arrogant #######

On number 1... :thumbs:

On number 3... if you still have those documents, submit them again.

As for the bolded part... I concur.

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline

I think the big deal about the drivers license has to do with where you live. In Texas I was told by the State Trooper in the drivers license office that without an international DL you cannot drive until you get a green card. The big deal about this is we don't really have mass transit thats worth anything. Additionally everything is spread so far apart its going to be hell if she cant learn to drive or apply for a DL until she get the GC.

Timeline

I was going to get her the state ID, but it is only good until her I94 expires then the state ID expires, so it would be a complete waste of time. Right below the Thai Birthdate on the Thai ID has the birthday in English units, at least Nam's does. The Thai DL also has it in Thai and English.

She has been studying and translating the Nevada Drivers Manual since we got here, she hasn't been real motivated to finish it, however it doesn't matter until she gets her GC we can't get a DL that will last longer then her 90 days so it doesn't matter. Apparently in California they offer the written test in Thai, but for some reason they do not have the manual in Thai. When we were in BKK I had her take 10 hours of driving lessons to get her Thai license, she had never driven before that, now the problem I am having is she has a hard time realizing the side of the road to stay on. Then when there is a new situation that arises she gets excited and then forgets the simple things, she is improving quite a bit every time we go out. I try to take her out everyday, even if it is just the 3 minute drive to the gym, it is behind the wheel time and I think that is important. The one advantage of having the Thai DL is that my insurance company covers her to drive, so she is insured.

Timeline
I think the big deal about the drivers license has to do with where you live. In Texas I was told by the State Trooper in the drivers license office that without an international DL you cannot drive until you get a green card. The big deal about this is we don't really have mass transit thats worth anything. Additionally everything is spread so far apart its going to be hell if she cant learn to drive or apply for a DL until she get the GC.

That was my big concern in Las Vegas also, just being able to teach her. I doubt the state trooper is going to be smart enough to tell the difference between the Thai license and the international license. Nam is stuck home all day while I am out, she doesn't seem to mind though. It doesn't bother me at all having to take her shopping etc, I kind of thought it might be a big pain to have to always go with her, but it has actually been good. I have thought about buying her a scooter to be able to make it down to the grocery store on, and may still do that, but haven't decided yet. She had her own scooter in Buriram, so I know she can ride. The funny thing is she sees my sportbike in the garage and said she wants to take that out. I just laughed and told her if she can sit on it and get it off the kick stand she can take it. To funny watching a 95 lbs 5'1" girl trying to get GSXR 1000 off the kick stand. LOL

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

My husband has had his Thai DL for many years but it is only written in Thai. According to MI department of state they said he had 90 days to drive on a foreign license but I'm assuming they won't accept his current one written completely in Thai. And MI has no mass transit. Being that I have a very demanding job he will be forced to be independant.

Does anyone know if when the make the Int'l national DL they renew the exp date or it is just a translation of the original? Is it just a laminated piece of paper like his current license? I could tranlate it myself if that is the case.

What insurance is it that will cover your spouse with a Thai DL? We will be getting new car insurance when we get back to the U.S. so that is a good thing to keep in mind as we shop around.

Thanks Mommy for the location.

I-130
22-08-2008 Mailed I-130 from Thailand
17-04-2009 K-3 Interview - Approved: Was Issued CR1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-175
02-03-2011 Mailed I-751 from Michigan

3/21/2011- NOA1

4/18/2011-Biometrics

N-400
GC-Date: 5/1/09
Sent: 3/22/16
Cashd: 3/25/16
NOA: 3/25/16
Fprints: 4/22/16
In Line: 4/28/16
Int Ltr: 6/28/16
Interview:
Oath:
Field Office: Detroit

Divorced 11/19/2020

Timeline
That was my big concern in Las Vegas also, just being able to teach her. I doubt the state trooper is going to be smart enough to tell the difference between the Thai license and the international license. Nam is stuck home all day while I am out, she doesn't seem to mind though. It doesn't bother me at all having to take her shopping etc, I kind of thought it might be a big pain to have to always go with her, but it has actually been good. I have thought about buying her a scooter to be able to make it down to the grocery store on, and may still do that, but haven't decided yet. She had her own scooter in Buriram, so I know she can ride. The funny thing is she sees my sportbike in the garage and said she wants to take that out. I just laughed and told her if she can sit on it and get it off the kick stand she can take it. To funny watching a 95 lbs 5'1" girl trying to get GSXR 1000 off the kick stand. LOL

LOL, that is so funny. We have a huge Asian market about 2 miles from my house along with CVS, Walmart, Kroger, etc. I thought about buying her a scooter to drive. I have the Hyabusa (GSXR1300) and Chada told me she can just drive that. I just smiled and said "umm, not sure"

Edited by Danny and Chada

Timeline
Does anyone know if when the make the Int'l national DL they renew the exp date or it is just a translation of the original? Is it just a laminated piece of paper like his current license? I could tranlate it myself if that is the case.

What insurance is it that will cover your spouse with a Thai DL? We will be getting new car insurance when we get back to the U.S. so that is a good thing to keep in mind as we shop around.

Yes, I was wondering about the insurance as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.