HYENA

SAWASDEE 3 (2009 Thai thread restarted)

3,311 posts in this topic

I think the fact that we go through this process makes us better husbands and wives because we appreciate those we love a little more and can really never forget the pain and suffering that we went through to get them here. So chin up, hang in there and your time will come.

I entirely agree with this. Our relationship began nearly five years ago, while I was living in Bangkok and has continued for the last three years that I've been back in USA, and all of it has brought us closer and instilled a profound gratitude for what we have created. So many folks around us on both sides say "I can't believe you're still together." "I could never do that." etc. We take this is a positive sign that we have a very healthy relationship.

I also agree wholeheartedly, and it goes along with your 'positive energy/field' thoughts as well. In fact, God (force) puts together those who should be together...and, if we chose to ignore that, go against that grain, then we suffer. However if we instead choose choose to realize the fact that we are 'meant to be' for a purpose then when we 'accept' that fact (aka God's will) and go along with it then our suffering turns to joy and we are strengthened. The visa journey may stay the same, but our experience of it becomes something much richer.

Its really not that complex, but we as humans sure can make it complex! <haha>

BTW - ThaitoUsa...do you know the next time you'll be with the band at the place in Frederick? Thats just a 30 minute ride down from our place. AAm and I would love to meet you there the next time you're up from Baltimore, or as soon as your wifey gets to town...so let us know!

Peace,

MarkNAam

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hey Brother John,

Good to hear from you! Actually, once I read your prior post about amending your past year's returns to claim Rin's kids in Thailand, even though they were still in school in Thailand, I 'mentally' went out and bought my own bottle of Camus! :thumbs: I made another mental note to get back to you about this topic...but thought I would research it first a bit...

AAm actually has 2 kids, both in school. However, her son is now 20 and like all kids, too deeply involved with college and friends/girls to want to want to move to the USA now. :lol: So...I wonder if I could claim both of them, since they were 19 & 13 at the time of last year's filing...and both in school in Thailand?

Mark - I would think the older child would be allowed as long as they are a full-time student. The potential issue will be the SSN. I filed my amended return for 2006 after Rin's children had their GCs and SSNs. You'd have to file with ITINs. Not sure if that would be an issue or not. The IRS help line was not helpful as they said "try it and see if they allow it". The IRS won't be punitive if you can explain your reasoning based on their instructions, so why not try (a "no" only costs you time and a postage stamp)?

Best of luck,

John

FYI - We were denied an ITIN and had to wait until my step-daughter had her ss#. Once she had it, we ammended the previous year's return (the year her mom and I married) and claimed her on it (even though, she was never in the USA that year).

DVD

DVD - What was the reason given for denying the ITIN application?

If I'm remembering right (and I stress IF!), they said that she hadn't been in the USA long enough or something like she hadn't aquired enough time in the states. (she was never in the states)

We tried for an ITIN because I knew that Mexican parents, who have children living in Mexico, whom had never been here in the states, ..... are afforded ITINs.

Later, I found out that the USA has treaties with a number of countries to allow this. Thailand is not one of them.

DVD

Question????? Is there a place among the many VJ threads that deals with BKK interview questions and different Stategies used by the sucessful K1 applicants. I have read through the embassy reviews but really have not found to much else.

Howdy Brother Gir...

I made a list of a bunch of general question and their answers and gave it to AAm in order for her to study for the interview. I'm sure you could make a list with similar questions. However, in my research...I found that there are 3 'trick questions' that an IO might use when interviewing your wife. When you instruct your wife-2-B on how to answer these three questions below, be sure to remember that the only reason she is coming to the USA is to be your wife...NOT study/work/any other reason, because that may lead the IO to believe that your case could be fraudulent.

1) Question: Why do you want to come to the United States?

Answer: I want to come to the United States to marry Mark, because I love him. (its important to keep this answer short, and positively state that the only reason she wants to come to the USA is to MARRY, because of LOVE <be sure to use the word LOVE>...which is, of course, the reason for the K1. There is NO other answer to this question!)

2a) Question: If you are granted a fiancé visa, do you plan to work in the U.S. after you arrive?

Answer: No, I don’t plan to work. The reason I want to go to the United States is so I can marry Mark and be with him for the rest of my life. (It doesn't really matter if you plan to work or not, that is a question which will be specifically addressed during the next step of adjusting status (AOS) for her greencard. By answering NO to this question you fortify Question 1 above, which clearly states that you only want to come to the USA for the singular purpose of marriage, which is, of course, the reason for the K1)

If the IO continues to ask you about work, follow the question below:

2b) Question: Will you ever want to work in the United States?

Answer: Maybe I will want to work after I have been in the United States for a couple years. However, my reason for wanting to go to the United States is not to work. My reason for wanting to go to the United States is to marry Mark and spend the rest of my life with him because I love him. (Again, it is VERY important that the IO fully realizes her intent of coming to the USA is ONLY for marriage...not for work/study/any other reason)

3) Question: Are you planning to study at any university when you go to the United States?

Answer: No. My reason for wanting to go to the United States is so I can marry Mark, because we love each other.

(Again, answer NO to this question, and any other question that might lead the IO to believe your relationship is fraudulent and that you are simply using the K1 to get into the USA and then 'do other things'. Always keep in the IO's mind the fact that she wants to come to the USA ONLY FOR THE PURPOSE of marriage, which is, of course, the reason for the K1)

I hope you catch my drift on the questions above.

Tell her to use the words 'Marry' and 'Love' alot when answering questions, after all, that is what the K1 visa is all about...so make sure the IO knows that she knows this!

Well...that is my two cents! I hope it helps, and I believe it is important.

Honestly, though, when AAm and I went to the interview, they really didn't even ask any specific questions that could have tripped us up. Our interview was quite pleasant, and I kept contact with our IO for months afterwards, until we passed AOS. However, I was still prepared for the 'final battle'...if you know what I mean. And, hearing recent reports out of the BKK Consulate, it sounds like the interviews are carrying a lot more weight than I think they did back when AAm and I went through the process...so be prepared!

Peace,

MarkNAAm!

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Timeline
Question????? Is there a place among the many VJ threads that deals with BKK interview questions and different Stategies used by the sucessful K1 applicants. I have read through the embassy reviews but really have not found to much else.

Howdy Brother Gir...

I made a list of a bunch of general question and their answers and gave it to AAm in order for her to study for the interview. I'm sure you could make a list with similar questions. However, in my research...I found that there are 3 'trick questions' that an IO might use when interviewing your wife. When you instruct your wife-2-B on how to answer these three questions below, be sure to remember that the only reason she is coming to the USA is to be your wife...NOT study/work/any other reason, because that may lead the IO to believe that your case could be fraudulent.

1) Question: Why do you want to come to the United States?

Answer: I want to come to the United States to marry Mark, because I love him. (its important to keep this answer short, and positively state that the only reason she wants to come to the USA is to MARRY, because of LOVE <be sure to use the word LOVE>...which is, of course, the reason for the K1. There is NO other answer to this question!)

2a) Question: If you are granted a fiancé visa, do you plan to work in the U.S. after you arrive?

Answer: No, I don’t plan to work. The reason I want to go to the United States is so I can marry Mark and be with him for the rest of my life. (It doesn't really matter if you plan to work or not, that is a question which will be specifically addressed during the next step of adjusting status (AOS) for her greencard. By answering NO to this question you fortify Question 1 above, which clearly states that you only want to come to the USA for the singular purpose of marriage, which is, of course, the reason for the K1)

If the IO continues to ask you about work, follow the question below:

2b) Question: Will you ever want to work in the United States?

Answer: Maybe I will want to work after I have been in the United States for a couple years. However, my reason for wanting to go to the United States is not to work. My reason for wanting to go to the United States is to marry Mark and spend the rest of my life with him because I love him. (Again, it is VERY important that the IO fully realizes her intent of coming to the USA is ONLY for marriage...not for work/study/any other reason)

3) Question: Are you planning to study at any university when you go to the United States?

Answer: No. My reason for wanting to go to the United States is so I can marry Mark, because we love each other.

(Again, answer NO to this question, and any other question that might lead the IO to believe your relationship is fraudulent and that you are simply using the K1 to get into the USA and then 'do other things'. Always keep in the IO's mind the fact that she wants to come to the USA ONLY FOR THE PURPOSE of marriage, which is, of course, the reason for the K1)

I hope you catch my drift on the questions above.

Tell her to use the words 'Marry' and 'Love' alot when answering questions, after all, that is what the K1 visa is all about...so make sure the IO knows that she knows this!

Well...that is my two cents! I hope it helps, and I believe it is important.

Honestly, though, when AAm and I went to the interview, they really didn't even ask any specific questions that could have tripped us up. Our interview was quite pleasant, and I kept contact with our IO for months afterwards, until we passed AOS. However, I was still prepared for the 'final battle'...if you know what I mean. And, hearing recent reports out of the BKK Consulate, it sounds like the interviews are carrying a lot more weight than I think they did back when AAm and I went through the process...so be prepared!

Peace,

MarkNAAm!

:thumbs:Mark,

Wow, Thank you that is the type of information I was looking for and I got your point... That would be an easy place to be tripped up, I can see Pon trying to answer that question honestly meaning something totally different, and being trapped. Thank you very much for this tidbit. :dance::star::star::star::star::star:

K-1 Visa

San Jose California

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-30

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-10

NVC Received : 2009-03-13

NVC Left : 2009-04-20

Consulate Received : 2009-04-20

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-05-07

Packet 4 Received : 2009-05-28

Interview Date : 2009-06-30

Visa Received : 2009-07-02

US Entry : 2009-07-04

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : touched 3/9/2009

Administrative Review at NVC

AP@NVC

Free at last left NVC

Embassy says they recieved it on same day it left NVC

Finally Got an Appointment Date Thank God

VISA ISSUED WHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 70 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 182 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review

Event Date

Port of Entry : San Francisco

POE Date : 2009-07-04

Got EAD Stamp : No

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

Comments : Very fast and very easy... The officer was very friendly and quick, he reminded us to make sure we marrry within the 90 days. total time maybe 10 minutes at most...

Finally got my baby!!! Thank you BKK; POE SFO was great

Timeline

Packet 3 submission Q:

The older packet 3 instructions list several documents ( Birth certificate, Name change certificate), these documents, a copy can be submitted and the original brought to the interview. I got nervous when I saw that the embassy sometimes deviates from ther stated guidlines. Have other people submitted copied only of these types of documents in package 3 or sent the originals? Just wondering what other people have done.

Congrats to all who have gotten interview dates, looks like things are moving again!

Thanks!

Gene & Nan

K1 Timeline:

2009-01-24 : I-129F Sent

2009-01-30 : I-129F NOA1

2009-03-16 : I-129F NOA2

2009-04-01 : Left NVC

2009-04-23 : Received Packet 3

2009-06-01 : Submitted Packet 3

2009-06-11 : Packet 4 Notification by Email

2009-07-10 : Interview Approved!

2009-07-14 : Picked up VISA

2009-08-04 : POE in Minneapolis

Packet 3 submission Q:

The older packet 3 instructions list several documents ( Birth certificate, Name change certificate), these documents, a copy can be submitted and the original brought to the interview. I got nervous when I saw that the embassy sometimes deviates from ther stated guidlines. Have other people submitted copied only of these types of documents in package 3 or sent the originals? Just wondering what other people have done.

Congrats to all who have gotten interview dates, looks like things are moving again!

Thanks!

:innocent: I sent the copy of these document and I will brind the original on the interview date, except the police certificate which they requested the original.(I also have another original one for the interview :whistle: )

About DS forms I sent the original and kept the copy for the interview. :star:

~*~ CHR.+CHW.=AF ~*~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We are gonna have a real hard tonight. Thanks Danny.

:jest:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Congrats, Uscandual !!!! June 29 is only a month from now.... Better start shopping for a plane ticket !!

Good luck to you both with everything, sincerely. :D

Ladywhite

We just got our interview date!

June 29 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Good luck to all the rest! Hope you guys get yours now too!

Click here to look at my K-1 journey and AOS adventure on my profile -- signature & story tab...

----------------------------------------------------

973181_1238682260.jpg

Check out our dog's blog here.

My ROC Adventure:

January 13, 2010----------Mailed out I-751 to VSC

January 15, 2010----------Package delivered

January 19, 2010----------NOA

January 21, 2010----------Check cashed

February 17, 2010---------Biometrics

April 8, 2010----------------Card production ordered

April 19, 2010---------------Card received in the mail

The Most Powerful Force in Life is Love

1095_thumb.gif1332_thumb.gif807_thumb.gif

Timeline

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

It is great to finally hear some good news on here. Congrats UsCanDual. I was feeling so bad since I believe we got our NOA2 on the same date. So thankful you guys finally got an interview.

The guy I had met in Udon (who I theorize is the dreaded interviewer), mentioned to me that there was a huge shortage of interviewers meaning people were having to work much more than they were hired to work. I just wonder if all the Americans in Thailand went on vacation for the bit term, or summer vacation. This lull seems to correspond perfectly. I think most schools in Thailand were re-opening the 18th of May. Hopefully things get back to rolling normally again.

About interview questions, it depends on the interviewer. But it seems like if there is anything different about your case they will ask about that. Someone mentioned being asked many questions about previous time spent in the states. Lots of questions have passed by about ex's on both petitioner and beneficiary sides. For us most of the questions were why had he and why had I lived in Israel. I never ended up posting an embassy review... things moved so quickly for us after the interview.

Our interview questions started with the interviewer reading the sworn statement in English, my husband asking for it in Thai. The interviewer saying no, you lived in Israel you must speak English. And my husband saying he spoke Hebrew, not English, and asking the interviewer if he could speak Hebrew. The interviewer then agreed to have his helper translate. He started out by asking about one of our photos, where it had been taken. Answer: Israel, his house. Then why had he been in Israel, why had I been in Israel. How we met, and then he asked about another picture of my house in the U.S. (I had included it as proof of domicile). He asked where it was, my husband replied. The interview was probably 60% English, 40% Thai.

They will take all requested documents (except for Evidence of relationship) out of what ever you put it in, so don't put it in anything. My husband handed the documents to the helper one by one naming them, and thought that was helpful because he specifically had said what he had, so maybe it was easier for the helper to pull the right document.

Then the interviewer apparently looked at my husband for a few seconds as if trying to think of another question and wrote approved on the file which he held in his hands. Then my husband asked in English, what about my visa the interviewer replied, "no problem." The translator/assistant then asked my husband if he could return on Tuesday for the visa. We were the first people there the last people called but other than that it was relatively painless for us.

For our evidence of relationship I had everything in document holders in a binder and also gave our wedding album. He mainly looked at the photos and didn't seem to care about the other stuff. I think I mentioned previously we had something like 150 photos which I cut, glued and labeled to A4 white sheets of paper, and had about 26 pages, not including our wedding album.

I am sure everything is going to do great at the interview. Make sure to tell your SO to ask about her status after the interview. And that a white card means she got it. I think I mentioned that there were 7 other interviews on the day of my husband only one girl said she got a visa. But actually two were approved the second just didn't know. She thought she had to return to hear the decision.

Congrats and Good Luck.

I-130
22-08-2008 Mailed I-130 from Thailand
17-04-2009 K-3 Interview - Approved: Was Issued CR1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-175
02-03-2011 Mailed I-751 from Michigan

3/21/2011- NOA1

4/18/2011-Biometrics

N-400
GC-Date: 5/1/09
Sent: 3/22/16
Cashd: 3/25/16
NOA: 3/25/16
Fprints: 4/22/16
In Line: 4/28/16
Int Ltr: 6/28/16
Interview:
Oath:
Field Office: Detroit

Divorced 11/19/2020

Timeline

All I can say is WOW! Ron will come by soon.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
All I can say is WOW! Ron will come by soon.

Heh :)

Noi, thanks for your detailed embassy review. Better late than never, and certainly very timely for all of us who are queuing up for our interviews.

That's a very interesting perspective that you bring to the line of questioning that they can be expected to use. Namely - that they will jump on any "unusual" aspect of the file and direct their questions to that. We'll certainly take note of that in our preparations for the interview.

In our case, Thanti speaks fluent English so I'm hoping that she can largely bypass the assistant and communicate directly with the American CO in English.

Thanti did come to visit me in Israel for 2 weeks in 2007, so I expect she may get a few questions about that. Which would be fine - since I think that's one of the strongest pieces of "evidence of relationship" that we have. Namely, that we were serious enough about each other even then for me to spend the $ for a roundtrip airfare for her BKK-Tel Aviv, and for her to want to come to spend that time with me. Of course we also have tons of pictures from that visit in well-known locales such as Jerusalem etc.

Noi, how are you guys settling in? Where did you wind up locating to - Michigan? If you ever come through Chicago let me know if you'd like to get together.

Timeline

Packet 3 submitted, so now I am in the "interview waiting pool" with a lot of people. I have to say it is heartening to see a bunch of interview dates recently given out!

The document daboyz posted on the statistics is very interesting! I hope my request is considered to be "ripe"!! Seems like they have some quotas to reach by clearing some cases, I hope this is good news and not just pushing the ones they can't finish into the "Unripe" pile....

Thanks for all the help!

Gene & Nan

K1 Timeline:

2009-01-24 : I-129F Sent

2009-01-30 : I-129F NOA1

2009-03-16 : I-129F NOA2

2009-04-01 : Left NVC

2009-04-23 : Received Packet 3

2009-06-01 : Submitted Packet 3

2009-06-11 : Packet 4 Notification by Email

2009-07-10 : Interview Approved!

2009-07-14 : Picked up VISA

2009-08-04 : POE in Minneapolis

Timeline
I just booked the flight, going to BKK June 23ed :)

Tomorrow, take advantage of the free 60 day tourist visa from the Thai Embassy :thumbs:

:)Yes, I also just booked a flight. I arrive on the 25 at 0100 in the AM... That is cool with me. I am happy now things are starting to move or at least it feels that way to me. At first I was going to go after the interview but I feel confident. I think we will be flying back on July 3 or 4 bnot sure have not locked down the return tickets yet. But the return is easy.

Good luck to everyone we should have an after interview approval party. :D

K-1 Visa

San Jose California

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-30

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-10

NVC Received : 2009-03-13

NVC Left : 2009-04-20

Consulate Received : 2009-04-20

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-05-07

Packet 4 Received : 2009-05-28

Interview Date : 2009-06-30

Visa Received : 2009-07-02

US Entry : 2009-07-04

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : touched 3/9/2009

Administrative Review at NVC

AP@NVC

Free at last left NVC

Embassy says they recieved it on same day it left NVC

Finally Got an Appointment Date Thank God

VISA ISSUED WHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 70 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 182 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review

Event Date

Port of Entry : San Francisco

POE Date : 2009-07-04

Got EAD Stamp : No

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

Comments : Very fast and very easy... The officer was very friendly and quick, he reminded us to make sure we marrry within the 90 days. total time maybe 10 minutes at most...

Finally got my baby!!! Thank you BKK; POE SFO was great

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.