K and V

Affidavits for I751? Must they be notarized?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Okay, so its time to remove conditions. My GC expires March 14th, I was out of the country for Christmas and when I got back, I had a ton of work to do so I am only now getting to this. My question is......the affidavits, I got 2 of my friends to write them for us. Must the affidavits be notarized? I mean when we filed for AOS, the affidavit of support didnt need to be notized, so my guess is this doesnt or does? Does it make a huge difference?

Also, so far, all I have are

Documents Supporting I-751

1. Joint Lease from 3 different apartments we have lived in

2. Official USPS change of address

3. Water Bill (in my name): a. From when we started staying together in our first and then second and current apartments

4. Power Bill (in kenny’s name): From when we started staying together in our first and then second and current apartments

5. Copies of 2 actual Credit Cards (one with my name and another in Kenny’s name but with same account number)

6. Car Insurance with both names (we have one car which we are still paying for so we don’t have the title)

7. Joint Tax Return for 2006 and 2007 (do I have to include 2008, we haven’t filed yet?)

8. Flight Itineraries for a vacation we took last year

9. Hotel Bills from same vacation and condo rental from a different vacation we drove for

10. Pictures

11. Christmas Cards

12. 2 Affidavits from friends (who really are my friends)

13. Benefits enrollment from Kenny’s job showing me as beneficiary

14. What else should I include?

No requirement to have Affidavits notarized. I imagine they "hold a little more weight" if they are. I had our friends notarize theirs.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had our notarized, just in case. I don't think it's a must. Good luck!

AOS TIMELINE

10/27/06 Mailed I-485 and I765 to Chicago

11/07/06 Checks cashed

11/09/06 Received NOA1 for both EAD and AOS in the mail

11/13/06 Received a letter for Biometrics appointment

11/15/06 Received e-mail that RFE has been mailed yesterday

11/21/06 Biometrics appointment

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/08/06 RFE accepted in Lee's Summit - USPS confirmation

12/12/06 RFE recorded on file by USCIS

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

12/26/06 Received Interview letter dated Dec 19

01/20/07 EAD file touched

01/24/07 EAD approved and card production ordered - received 3 e-mails!

01/24/07 AOS file touched

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

01/30/07 EAD Card Received by Mail

02/07/07 AOS Interview, approved pending FBI name check

04/27/07 Received E-Mail "Welcome New Resident"

04/30/07 Received E-Mail "Card Production Ordered"

05/01/07 Received Welcome Letter in mail

05/07/07 Green card received in the mail!

01/28/09 Mailed I-751 application.

01/30/09 Check already cleared! In two days!

02/03/09 Received NOA - Letter of extension dated 01/29/09

02/11/09 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 02/24/09

02/24/09 Biometrics Appointment Completed.

04/01/09 Inforpass appointment- got I-551 stamp in my passport

04/11/09 Approval Letter received - dated 04/07/09

05/06/09 E-mail "Card Production Ordered" received

06/01/09 10 Year Green Card Received!

I had our notarized, just in case. I don't think it's a must. Good luck!

Affadavits do not need to be notarized, but they must at least be sworn - which is they need to include a statement that the signatory swears that the information presented is true.

--------------------

Naturalization Timeline

28 JUL 2007 - Sent N-400 and supporting documentation

20 AUG 2007 - Bank Website indicates check has been cashed

15 NOV 2007 - Received NOA

28 NOV 2007 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

18 DEC 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

14 MAR 2008 - Received Interview Appointment letter

05 APR 2008 - Interview (Baltimore) SUCCESS!!

14 APR 2008 - Citizenship Oath

17 APR 2008 - Applied for US Passport

03 May 2008 - US Passport Received!!!

**Any comments or advice given by me is based on the circumstances of my specific case, and does not infer an in-depth knowledge of immigration law.**

Okay. Another question. When a permanent resident is writing the affidavit, do they say they are permanent residents? Because they are supposed to say their birth city? Their birth city is outside US? Both people writing my affidavits are permenent residents who came here on the visa lottery program? What to do?

The water bill and power bill are not in joint names, so I would n't include them. I would just include evidence that supports joint financial information. I am a firm believer that 'noise' could cause confusion. which is why I only sent 39 pages!

2008 tax would only need including after april 15th which is the end of filing date.

I did n't include affidavits, but a sworn statement about you being a bonafide couple should be taken as such, and be totally independant on where the signer was born.

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Filed: Other Timeline
The water bill and power bill are not in joint names, so I would n't include them. I would just include evidence that supports joint financial information. I am a firm believer that 'noise' could cause confusion. which is why I only sent 39 pages!

2008 tax would only need including after april 15th which is the end of filing date.

I did n't include affidavits, but a sworn statement about you being a bonafide couple should be taken as such, and be totally independant on where the signer was born.

hi,

I'll be sending mine very soon and my concern is that my name is not on our mortgage and utilities since my husband bought the house before we met and we didn't bother to change it or adding my name to the accounts.I will not send mortgage document but what about utility bills my name is not on it I don't know if I will submit some upon reading this topic .I can't provide any affidavits since we don't have friends here yet and our families were far from us.would appreciate any advise/suggestions.thanks a bunch!

my documents to submit as evidence..

joint taxes

joint bank accounts

joint car insurance

joint health insurance forms/cards

Birth certificate of our child

401k me as the beneficiary

trip itineraries

photos

letters/cards

envelopes showing same home address

utility bills (I don't know if I will submit since its not joint) should I?

Thats all..

The power bill is in both our names but the power company will only put one name on the actual bill, same thing with the water bill (which is billed by the apartment complex - both names are on lease but they put only my name on the bill)?

I felt that if they see the same address, but power in Kenney's name and Water in mine, doesnt that show that we all responsible for the bills in the house?

• 3 years later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thought I would add my...2 cents to this thread. Since my wife's I-751 was recently approved. Look.... Affidavits do not have to be Notarized. If it makes YOU feel better..then fine. But they should be sworn. Make sure you include a stement somewhere in the affidavit that the signee Swears that the statements contained therin are true according to the signeee's knowledge. We did not have ours notarized and we were approved. Its also good to include a couple of letter, complete with contacting information of people who have know you since you were married. Especially when you do not have a lot of other evidence like we did not. Officials will contact those people you have sworn affidavits from as well as others you list to contact. Also any pictures, trips you've taken since marrige, and letter of correspondence with both names on them will help you greatly!!!!

Good Luck to you all!!!!!!!!!!

PS..Don't make the I-751 hard. But be honest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.