Daniel Brillit

Colombia Club Part II

2,910 posts in this topic

Colombia Club II - one more thing to add.

BEWARE! THE EXCESSIVE TAXES

When I purchased Leidys' one-way ticket on COPA Airlines, I paid for an all taxes-inclusive ticket. Yet, when Leidys flew out of Barranquilla, she had to pay an additional tax, and she was not directed to the "Extencion" counter where her boarding pass should have been stamped as paid. This set me back $40 at Western Union yesterday.

BEWARE! If you are sending for your Fiancee and ______ cannot fly back with you, be prepared for this person to get stiffed at the airlines counter, because they look unprepared or unexperienced to deal with this sort of discrepancy.

Edited by Ken y Leidys

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

When I purchased Leidys' one-way ticket on COPA Airlines, I paid for an all taxes-inclusive ticket. Yet, when Leidys flew out of Barranquilla, she had to pay an additional tax, and she was not directed to the "Extencion" counter where her boarding pass should have been stamped as paid. This set me back $40 at Western Union yesterday.

BEWARE! If you are sending for your Fiancee and ______ cannot fly back with you, be prepared for this person to get stiffed at the airlines counter, because they look unprepared or unexperienced to deal with this sort of discrepancy.

Ugh one more thing i have to worry about when I fly Adriana out of Barranquilla :/. So I am picking a date for January 8th to fly from B because right now as it standings any flights closer from the 8th are insanely expensive. Sucks because I wanted to fly and be there for her when she flies to the US for the first time and visit with her family. Now that we did indeed confirm the astronomical prices we agreed that it is best I fly her out of Barranquilla alone straight to Miami. Although I really love the holidays, I am going to have to lay down my heart complete ribbon until mi esposita can be with me. So for all of you else out there Happy Turkey day, i hope it is a good one for you but for me I need to jump leaps and bounds through this holiday season till January :).

Sooooooooooooooo with the CR1 visa... whats next? Social Security? Military ID? Are some of the things I know but since I am moving straight to S Korea in March I want to get a tackle on things. I know the visa for S Korea is insanely easy to get so I am not worried about that one. Just want to remain on top of things with no surprises.

James ( a happy camper come January)

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Bogota, Colombia

Event Date

Marriage: 2009-04-30

I-130 Sent: 2009-05-14

I-130 Approved: 2009-08-25

NVC Received: 2009-09-09

Interview Date: 2009-11-19

Visa Received: 2009-11-25

US Entry Target Date: 2010-01-08

S. Korea La Vida Loca: 2010-04-07

Returned to USA: 2011-04-06

Removal of Conditions: 2012-01-08

I-751 Biometrics: 2012-03-02

I-751 Approved: 2012-09-07

N400 Sent: 2012-10-10

Biometrics: 2012-11-02

Interview: 2013-01-09

Oath: 2013-02-22

Citizenship: 2013-02-22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I got caught on the taxes once because I was too late to go the stamp. This time all they said was since I had been there only five days I did not have to pay the taxes. Does anyone know is there some rule about being in the country forever that would make you have to pay the taxes when you leave. I believe they are already paid with the ticket

Timeline

I got caught on the taxes once because I was too late to go the stamp. This time all they said was since I had been there only five days I did not have to pay the taxes. Does anyone know is there some rule about being in the country forever that would make you have to pay the taxes when you leave. I believe they are already paid with the ticket

Yeah indeed there is some rule, the tax is called "Impuesto de Timbre Nacional" or stamp tax and is charged every time u leave the country through air or sea under some conditions. It is not included in the airfare (or ticket price).

If u stayed in the country for less than 60 days you're not charged with this tax. So when someone is leaving the country for the first time is charged with the tax.

The cost is around $40. And yes there's lack of information about this for everyone traveling. You find out about this when you're checking in ur luggage and they tell you they're gonna charge u with $40.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It is strange. I wonder what 'tax' that was... I don't think its the DIAN tax... most foreigners DON'T pay it. I've never paid it and I lived in Colombia for a few months a couple of years ago. Of course, I departed from Bogotá. El Dorado has, I believe, the cheapest departure tax out of the other airports. And I purchased my RT tickets from the US.

Now some airports will charge you their own fees. That seems like highway robbery given the state I've seen most other airports I've used in Colombia. Can't speak for Barranquilla... but Cartagena seemed like the extra surprise tax of about $13 last year (charged directly by the airport) was really just paying for the 4 security lines we had to pass minutes before boarding.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving- Ken, I hope Leidys enjoyed her first turkey day, and all the first Thanksgiving's that Club Colombia fiancee's experienced.

Today marks 7 months in AP for me, and am quite sure that nothing will happen this year, if ever, in my case. But, I just keep trying to forget about things- some days I want to write a scathing email to the embasy, and other times I want to plead with them! Oh well... :help:

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

11/13/2008 - I-129F NOA1 issue date

11/17/2008 - Received NOA1 hard copy in the mail

1/23/2009 - Received email stating I was approved (NOA2) on 1/22/2009

1/26/2009 - Recieved NOA2 hard copy in the mail

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

12/25/2009 - Still stuck in AP- almost 8 MONTHS and counting... :(

12/28/2009 - Embassy finally called my gal for another "interview"

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

re-issued the visa. Is valid until July 13th

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

12/16/2010 - Sent in packet by Fed Ex to Chicago

1/7/2011 - Notified by email from USCIS packet was received

1/25/2011 - Notified by email we are receiving an RFE

2/4/2011 - Sent translated birth cert in (RFE)

2/9/2011 - Biometrics done

3/1/2011 - EAD/AP card received

Timeline
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving- Ken, I hope Leidys enjoyed her first turkey day, and all the first Thanksgiving's that Club Colombia fiancee's experienced.

Today marks 7 months in AP for me, and am quite sure that nothing will happen this year, if ever, in my case. But, I just keep trying to forget about things- some days I want to write a scathing email to the embasy, and other times I want to plead with them! Oh well... :help:

Joe

Sorry to hear you have been waiting so long this sucks. What does ap stand for.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Joe

Almost makes you want to become real good friends with your congressional rep doesn't it??

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Joe

Joe I do not know what to tell you. Can you think back on the day of beloved's interview that could possible help give you clues on to why this would take so long?? Was the CO unhappy this day? What was the atmosphere like on that day? Was there an unusually large amount of people being interviewed? What kinds of questions did they ask? Was there any descrepencies that were brought to your cases information? I want to help you if at most just being a P.I. so that we can help you sort out some ideas and how you can reattack this. Obviously your Congressman is not doing enough, did you write to any other reps that are more active in the immigration policy reform? Maybe teamed up together they can steamroll the embassy and get you the information you both deserve. For goodness sakes, its going to be the Holidays and they should take heart.

For my sake I know I am just a recent visa interview aproval but I am still going to be alone for the holidays. Tickets are outrageously expensive on the return leg from either Bogota or Barranquilla. You have to return to the states after the 6th before you see a sharp decrease in prices. Sucks for me because I cannot take any more leave longer than a week in my military job for January due to my time constraints. Thus I ended up just buying a solo one way ticket from BAQ to MIA on the 8th for nearly 500 bones.. Ugh... And 40 dollars more on top of that because of that stupid tax. Ahwell. I hope to read you complaining about this stupid tax too, soon ahah.

PS I hope you are using a magic jack to talk to you woman, they are an extremely powerful way of showing your phone history and muy barato tambien.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Bogota, Colombia

Event Date

Marriage: 2009-04-30

I-130 Sent: 2009-05-14

I-130 Approved: 2009-08-25

NVC Received: 2009-09-09

Interview Date: 2009-11-19

Visa Received: 2009-11-25

US Entry Target Date: 2010-01-08

S. Korea La Vida Loca: 2010-04-07

Returned to USA: 2011-04-06

Removal of Conditions: 2012-01-08

I-751 Biometrics: 2012-03-02

I-751 Approved: 2012-09-07

N400 Sent: 2012-10-10

Biometrics: 2012-11-02

Interview: 2013-01-09

Oath: 2013-02-22

Citizenship: 2013-02-22

Timeline

Joe

Joe I do not know what to tell you. Can you think back on the day of beloved's interview that could possible help give you clues on to why this would take so long?? Was the CO unhappy this day? What was the atmosphere like on that day? Was there an unusually large amount of people being interviewed? What kinds of questions did they ask? Was there any descrepencies that were brought to your cases information? I want to help you if at most just being a P.I. so that we can help you sort out some ideas and how you can reattack this. Obviously your Congressman is not doing enough, did you write to any other reps that are more active in the immigration policy reform? Maybe teamed up together they can steamroll the embassy and get you the information you both deserve. For goodness sakes, its going to be the Holidays and they should take heart.

For my sake I know I am just a recent visa interview aproval but I am still going to be alone for the holidays. Tickets are outrageously expensive on the return leg from either Bogota or Barranquilla. You have to return to the states after the 6th before you see a sharp decrease in prices. Sucks for me because I cannot take any more leave longer than a week in my military job for January due to my time constraints. Thus I ended up just buying a solo one way ticket from BAQ to MIA on the 8th for nearly 500 bones.. Ugh... And 40 dollars more on top of that because of that stupid tax. Ahwell. I hope to read you complaining about this stupid tax too, soon ahah.

PS I hope you are using a magic jack to talk to you woman, they are an extremely powerful way of showing your phone history and muy barato tambien.

Hey James,

I wish I knew why it is taking so long- I know we had red flags at the interview: like her making many previous trips to U.S. in the past, having her tourist visa revoked and she had a previous marriage to a U.S. citizen- I'm gussing that is enough for a very involved investigation. What they are actually investigating, is the big question. Whatever they are doing, it has been 7 months. The CO was just very matter-of-fact in the interview- he even said he believed in our relationship, but he said we had to do AP- "should just take a few weeks." ya, right.

My Congressman's office has sent three emails over the months, but the response is "in AP and in progress" - they get nothing more. Senator's office also sent one email- same response. Dunno what the hell else I can do....

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

Timeline

Joe

Sorry to hear you have been waiting so long this sucks. What does ap stand for?

Thanks- it means Administrative Processing" They put me on it at the end of our interview in Bogota. Basically, they do a background check along with other investigations on your case. There is no timeframe and they do not have to give you any info. on what they are actually investigating or doing. There are forums here on VJ that explain and are for people like yours truly, stuck in this...

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our tickets also included the exit tax in the final price but El Dorado in Bogotá wouldn't let my husband leave without us paying for it claiming that all Colombians exiting the country had to pay it. We ended up paying it since it was an hour before boarding. Bottom line is in Colombia they all make up their own rules and charge stupid and many times unnecessary fees, you have to pick your battles and if you have time to fight them go for it, but if not, just make sure you have enough cash so they can let you leave the country.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
Ugh one more thing i have to worry about when I fly Adriana out of Barranquilla :/. So I am picking a date for January 8th to fly from B because right now as it standings any flights closer from the 8th are insanely expensive. Sucks because I wanted to fly and be there for her when she flies to the US for the first time and visit with her family. Now that we did indeed confirm the astronomical prices we agreed that it is best I fly her out of Barranquilla alone straight to Miami. Although I really love the holidays, I am going to have to lay down my heart complete ribbon until mi esposita can be with me. So for all of you else out there Happy Turkey day, i hope it is a good one for you but for me I need to jump leaps and bounds through this holiday season till January :).

Sooooooooooooooo with the CR1 visa... whats next? Social Security? Military ID? Are some of the things I know but since I am moving straight to S Korea in March I want to get a tackle on things. I know the visa for S Korea is insanely easy to get so I am not worried about that one. Just want to remain on top of things with no surprises.

James ( a happy camper come January)

James,

Once your wife enters the US the USCIS will take about 2-7 weeks to enter her information in the system. If you marked the DS-230 to automatically get her SS# they will mail it to her as soon as her info is available in the system. You can call the USCIS a few weeks after she's arrived to find out if they're done entering her info, if they say they have and the SSA hasn't sent her her SS#, then you will have to go there in person to get it. But eventually she should get her SS# and her green card in the mail.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline
i have a question how long is it taking if u wait for visa given by domesa en bogota and what is the time frame if u have ir delivered to bquilla

It takes 2-3 business days for them to deliver it within Bogotá and about 6-10 business days outside of Bogotá.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.