amysaid

New member, Egyptians & K-3 visas

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Welcome Aboard!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Welcome to VJ And I have never heard of any denial from Cairo. Yes they are damn slooooooow!!!! I wouldn't worry about it I'm sure your journey will be just fine.

I am a little fuzzy about how things work with the embassy. what are they slow with? the processing? or setting an interview date super far in advance? also, is there usually more than one interview?

Amy

On our end, the embassy messed up after we submitted our papers - they sent them back, claiming we didn't send the husband's birth certificate. In the papers they sent back, what did we find? His BC. :whistle: I emailed, reamed em a new one, and they scheduled us an interview ASAP. We had to wait about 6 weeks after the interview to get the visa.

It's usually not getting the interview that's a problem, it's the processing afterwards. Awhile back, people were waiting upwards of a year or more after their interview for approval. During that time period, families were investigated, neighbors were interviewed, the whole 9 yards.

I do believe we're back now into more "normal" processing times, ie a month or 2 or 3 after the interview, and you get the visa.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline

It does not matter whether is it a K1 or K3, IR1/CR1....All applicants have to go through something called "administrative processing" before and after the interview. Scrutiny is scrutiny.

Yes, coming from a MENA country means the applicants, especially men, will receive more attention than those applicants from other countries.

The only thing that i can say that will sooth your mind is that it will be a long time, months and months, before the interview. So you're jumping the gun a bit to worry about something so far in advance.

Heya,

I have been lurking around here for a couple months and decided it was probably time to actually sign up and introduce myself. I'm Amy, I'm 28, a nursing student, and I married my husband in Egypt last month. I decided initially to go with the K-3 visa because I thought it would be quicker and there might be less scrutiny about his origins. The more I read, though, the more it seems like that might not be the better route, and that the CR-1 visas are taking approximately the same time (maybe slightly longer) to be approved. I've looked at the statistics for the visa process for each one, but I'm still unsure. I haven't received the NOA1 back yet for the I-130, so I guess i still have time to change my mind. What is your experience with this? Does being from a MENA country make it more difficult to receive a visa? He has no other issues that might hang up the process, he's had the same good job for 11 years, same residence since birth, never previously married, no police record, and so on. The other thing i am concerned with is the interview process at the US embassy in Cairo. I have heard that Cairo is kind of a crapshoot, and that sometimes if some cranky asshat is working the day you're interviewing, then they will shut you down before you even walk in the door. Does anyone have any soothing experiences to ease my mind? :) I am hoping that everything goes smoothly, but I know with the US government, it's always kind of up in the air.

Thanks, and hi!

Amy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.