stephen.low1

dizzy and confused about the affidavit of support

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's why im confused,

Im planning on filing for DCF in manila. Ive been a resident in the Philippines for over 7 years living with my wife and kids. We plan on moving to the US together. Now i haven't filed for taxes because i was not working in the US or the Philippines, I had to take care of my wife's apartment business.

In order for me to accomplish this i to file the Affidavit of support. Here are my questions

1. what is the difference between a co-sponsor and a joint sponsor?

- i know im going to have to need either one of them. and i read that there is a difference but got confused because co and joint were mixed!

2. Ill be living with my aunt who doesn't meet the poverty line but ill be asking a family friend and his mother to sponsor, is this possible since we are not related and they are not living in the same house hold as my family and i will be living?

3. what will my sponsors be considered co-sponsors or joint sponsors?

4. can there be more then 1 sponsor such as my sister, my friend and his mother?

and will this help to have more sponsors?

please help shed some light!!! im starting to think that it may be impossible unless i go to the US ahead of my family and not being able to be with them for a year or maybe 2 which is something i will not do. i am 110% a family man.

thanks

co sponsor and joint sponsor are the same thing

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Timeline

there are two types

1. sponsor

2. joint sponsor. same as co-sponsor

the main sponsor will have to be YOU. you can ask ANYONE to be a joint sponsor. he or she does not have to be related to you.

my joint sponsor is just a friend in college. and i just got my visa.

my husband had similar situation. he lived in indonesia with me for 3 years and didnt file his tax and didnt make enough money to sponsor me.

he is my main sponsor and my friend is the joint sponsor. it should be ok. as long as the joint sponsor is qualified.

if your wife owns a business, she can be the joint sponsor as well.

what you have to do first is calculate all your assets. you and your wife, after that you can figure out if you need additional sponsor or not.

you have to double check, but i think YES, you can have more than 2 sponsors.

it may not be easy to find someone to be a sponsor because that person will be responsible financialy to your wife and kids for a looong time.

you need somebody who loves you and your family and somebody you can trust and trust you.

good luck

bean

Here's why im confused,

Im planning on filing for DCF in manila. Ive been a resident in the Philippines for over 7 years living with my wife and kids. We plan on moving to the US together. Now i haven't filed for taxes because i was not working in the US or the Philippines, I had to take care of my wife's apartment business.

In order for me to accomplish this i to file the Affidavit of support. Here are my questions

1. what is the difference between a co-sponsor and a joint sponsor?

- i know im going to have to need either one of them. and i read that there is a difference but got confused because co and joint were mixed!

2. Ill be living with my aunt who doesn't meet the poverty line but ill be asking a family friend and his mother to sponsor, is this possible since we are not related and they are not living in the same house hold as my family and i will be living?

3. what will my sponsors be considered co-sponsors or joint sponsors?

4. can there be more then 1 sponsor such as my sister, my friend and his mother?

and will this help to have more sponsors?

please help shed some light!!! im starting to think that it may be impossible unless i go to the US ahead of my family and not being able to be with them for a year or maybe 2 which is something i will not do. i am 110% a family man.

thanks

we just got done with DCF in the Philippines. I didn't file taxes ever because I didn't work or had any source of income since I was in medical school over there in the Philippines when I petitioned my husband. The main sponsor is you (the petitioner) and you can have cosponsors/joint sponsors. If your sponsors are in the same household as you they need to fill out the I-864-A. But if they live in a different household, they must fill out the I-864.

In Manila, they are very particular about meeting the domicile requirement for petitioners. Even though we have the privilege of filing directly with the consulate office, one must prove that he/she did not give up his/her residency in the United States. I was in the Philippines for 8 years but I would go home back and forth during summer breaks. I also showed copies of my unexpired driver's license in the states, stamps in my passport to show I traveled home, my social security card with my married name, and documents from the Philippines to showing that I was only there temporarily and did not give up my residency in the United States.

During my husband's interview last November 2008, the consulate specifically asked him where I was at the moment. Luckily, I was in the States at that time. About 3 weeks before my husband's interview I flew to the United States. Thus I had to take took off from medical school to wait for my husband here in the states. The consulate told him that it was a good thing I was in the states because she wouldn't have granted him the visa if I was still in the Philippines because the point of a visa is to reunite families. Why would they grant visa to people who do not need to be reunited because they are already together.

To provide proof that I as in the states, I took pictures of my holding recent newspapers and went to several places here in Seattle, Washington and took pictures. I sent it to my husband, and he showed it as proof to the consulate that I was indeed here in the United States. I also sent my plane ticket adn boarding passes.

The Philippines is said to be a high fraud country, so maybe that's why they ask for alot of evidence unlike some consulates where it is really fast.

God bless and good luck!

I totally appreciate all your responses, if possible i would take everyone who has replied to my questions out to dinner :thumbs: thanks and GOD bless!

you're welcome. i wish you the best of luck. God bless. :innocent:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.