Seattle2Cebu

moving to cebu

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I had bad experiences bringing a fiance here to the usa and also a fiance that i married. I am going to move to cebu and live there for a year. Are there any people here from cebu or living in cebu? I would like to know what I can get an apartment for. My girlfriend in Cebu says we can get one for 5,000 pesos. My problem with her is that she doesnt speak much english. So you may ask why the heck I would move there. Well thats my problem. I am going to teach her english when I get there. What would I expect to pay for food for one month? I am talking about going cheap. I dont think its easy for an American to get a job there. I understand after you are married, that it would be easier and not require a work permit. I understand the pay is much less in the Philippines. I dont have a lot of money, but Im working and saving to take enough money to live there until I get a job. Ya im crazy, so what. So if anyone from Cebu would like to throw in any advice about getting an apartment etc. ok thanks

I just want to say goodluck and hope you will finally found happiness in your future venture.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I had bad experiences bringing a fiance here to the usa and also a fiance that i married. I am going to move to cebu and live there for a year. Are there any people here from cebu or living in cebu? I would like to know what I can get an apartment for. My girlfriend in Cebu says we can get one for 5,000 pesos. My problem with her is that she doesnt speak much english. So you may ask why the heck I would move there. Well thats my problem. I am going to teach her english when I get there. What would I expect to pay for food for one month? I am talking about going cheap. I dont think its easy for an American to get a job there. I understand after you are married, that it would be easier and not require a work permit. I understand the pay is much less in the Philippines. I dont have a lot of money, but Im working and saving to take enough money to live there until I get a job. Ya im crazy, so what. So if anyone from Cebu would like to throw in any advice about getting an apartment etc. ok thanks

Greetings from the Queen City of the South ( CEBU)

Yeah, there are cheaper apartments in Cebu. I am staying in the apartment at the moment but just a small one huh! It's four thousand pesos quite cheap though and the location is good it's near Marco Polo Hotel. There are also nice apartments in Banilad as well.

It sounds to me like you have never been to the philippines. Finding a job there is going to be very very difficult.

If you want to get a permenant resident card you have to apply to the DFA, they will want to verify that you have permemant income such as military retirement or that you have deposited something like 30k USD in a Philippine bank to support yourself.

Most people remain as tourist, they either keep renewing their passport for 59 days after the original 21 or they leave the country with their wife, and return together and then you get a 1 year bakliban stamp in your passport (catch a flight to hong kong on Cebu Pacific overnite). Its much cheaper this way but its a tourist visa and you cant work on a tourist visa.If they find you working on a tourist visa they will deport you and give you a lifetime ban.

Yeah you can find an apt for 5000peso/month. Utilities will run another 3000-4000m if you want air con, ref, internet ect. You can probably live cheap for 20000 peso a month but thats pretty basic and pretty boring.

I would strongly suggest you go there first and check out your options before just pulling up stakes here and going there expecting to find a job.

If you do find a job if you can somehow get a work permit dont expect to get paid more than 8000 or 10000 peso a month, if you wife works she may get about the same but often less depending on the job.

Do you speak Tagalog? If your planning to work there I'd say that would be a must...

Good luck

Edited by geezer

I do admire you for making this journey to Cebu, I wise move in my opinion.

Here is a good website, and Paul runs it. He lives somewhere close to Cebu.

Good American Southern boy who's been in PI for about 7 years, and speaks the language fluently

It's a straight shooting website.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/index.php?act=idx

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

My husband and I thought about that, too, of him migrating to the Philippines instead of me migrating to the US. But as geezer said, finding a job that pays well is not easy for an American. Putting up a business is a much better option than being employed.

Good luck!

Filed: Timeline

I think that you can renew the tourist visa up to a year, not sure.. I will check on that.

If you get married in the philippines, I think that you can then get a job without all the work permit stuff..

so I will check that as well.. I have been kicking this around for a couple of years. I wish I had made up my mind and saved my money better, but oh well. I will stay in the Usa until Im sure i have enough money for a year.

I was thinking about 25,000 a month to live basic.. If we do end up getting married it will be in the fall.

Ive got a lot of experience trading stocks and commodities, but I have been out a few years... I got a

stock market account, but the commodity account will take some time. I can make some money on that.

I also play poker online, and Im a fair player, and I make money on that as well.

Im going to get a certificate to teach english as a second language and I am seeing that the course is offered

in Cebu.. of course thats more money to have.. That doesnt pay well in the Philippines. It does pay much

better in Vietnam and China.

At some point, I would bring my wife to the usa, but I decided no more internet - relationships and then go

to there and then come back and wait and etc.. Im done with that.. I will just live there until we decide

to come to the usa, and if it doesn't work out, I will know far in advance before bringing her to the usa.

The first wife wasnt so bad, but I had kids at the time, and she didnt like them, or any kids and etc etc.

she took off when she made sure she had all the papers to stay in the usa.. about 2years. she hung

around 2.5 years..

The second fiance was a total joke, and thought all she needed to do was just get her and she could take off on her own... I think it used to be that way.. so I had to put her back on the plane... That one was where I only

had gone to the P.I. for a month to see her and then did the come back and wait routine. All the while

sending ridiculous amounts of money to her, because im stupid.

So I thought I was done with the Philippines, and I dated a chinese girl here in Seattle for awhile. Well geez, this woman likes to fight and so on.. sheesh.. I just want peace. I had been writing the cousin of the girl I brought over, and she kept coming around to chat and so forth even if I dont send money. Lately I had not sent her

anything. I know how poor she is, and I didnt mind sending a little money to help her. I didnt really feel a big romance connection with her, because we have a language barrier. Overtime, I have been impressed with her

attitude. She is a happy person, and I think she wants to live peacefully. She knows im not rich at all, and that

we would be living very basic there for awhile until I get my stock business going, and also until I get a job. etc.

So ya I make a lot more money here, but my expenses are huge also.. By the time its all done, Im not so sure

Im that much worse off there in Cebu. What price can you put on being happy?

My husband and I thought about that, too, of him migrating to the Philippines instead of me migrating to the US. But as geezer said, finding a job that pays well is not easy for an American. Putting up a business is a much better option than being employed.

Good luck!

What price can you put on being happy?

If you have good health, and happiness then you own the world.

Don't let anyone get in the way or your dreams.

Good Luck and God Speed to you

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

By the time its all done, Im not so sure

I'm definately happier there than here. My little wifey really has no interest in coming here as long as I can keep going there every 3 or 4 months.

She is just coming here to humor me :whistle: and no doubt we will probably still be going back there pretty often..

Sounds like you have given this more thought than your first post indicated again good luck.

hi!

My fiance then, a husband now used to live in Cebu for more than a year. We rented a fully furnished house in Azienda Milan Talisay City (20Kphp), its overlooking Bohol Strait. Hmmmm really nice place.

Base on our experience u might want to think about the ff:

- medical/healthcare

- transportation

-dealing with bureaucrats every 59 days

-availability of the kind of food that u want

-bugs and insects

-NOISE

-language /dialect

-inefficiency

- most places are crowded

- people that will cut u off in malls

- snoopy/ curios people (no privacy)

- Loud music/ disco (during baranggay fiesta boom booom boooom u heard all night) cant sleep good

- brwonouts/blackout (good old VECO!) common expression of my husband during power outage.

-

- no hot and cold showers ( u can install one, but in Cebu u really don't need one)

- boring!!!!

These are from his point of view that i mostly heard when we were in Cebu. I guess he is just soooo spoiled hehehhe...but try living there for a couple of months and see if u like it. I know my hubby tried everything so he could adjust and adapt to the culture and everything but its really different and I cannot blame him for his complains.

01/22/08 hired an immigration lawyer

02/28/08 I 129F sent it to the lawyer

03/03/08 I-129F Received at CSC

03/04/08 NOA1

03/05/08 Touched

07/14/08 NOA2

07/24/08 Called NVC and got our MNL case number

07/25/08 NOA2 Hard copy received

07/29/08 USEM Rcvd hard file

07/30/08 Paid document verification

08/01/08 Called USEM for interview appointment! (Thank you lord)

08/19/08 Medical Examination

08/20/08 Medical Examination (PASSED)

08/26/08 Interview (PINK Slip only)

10/08/08 Visa Printing! Yehheeyy! (after 48years of waiting)

10/09/08 Visa Printing Done and is ready for release

10/10/08 Visa delivered yippeee!

10/31/08 FLY DAY!!!! POE LAS, NV[/color] PLS BLESS OUR TRIP OH LORD!

11/03/08 Got married in Las Vegas

11/15/08 filed SSN

11/29/08 SSN Card Rcvd

AOS JOURNEY

12/10/08 send AOS & EAD Packet to Chicago Lockbox

12/18/08 Cashed check

12/26/08 Rcvd NOA

01/07/09 Biometrics Appointment/Done

01/12/09 Rcvd mail TRANSFER NOTICE TO CSC (AOS)

03/10/2009 Rcvd EAD

04/20/2009 GREEN CARD RCVD!!! No interview at all!

04/21/2009 Got Driver Learners Permit

The Will of God never takes you to

where the Grace of God will not protect you.

v1g6b64wviy.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think that you can renew the tourist visa up to a year, not sure.. I will check on that.

If you get married in the philippines, I think that you can then get a job without all the work permit stuff..

so I will check that as well.. I have been kicking this around for a couple of years. I wish I had made up my mind and saved my money better, but oh well. I will stay in the Usa until Im sure i have enough money for a year.

I was thinking about 25,000 a month to live basic.. If we do end up getting married it will be in the fall.

Ive got a lot of experience trading stocks and commodities, but I have been out a few years... I got a

stock market account, but the commodity account will take some time. I can make some money on that.

I also play poker online, and Im a fair player, and I make money on that as well.

Im going to get a certificate to teach english as a second language and I am seeing that the course is offered

in Cebu.. of course thats more money to have.. That doesnt pay well in the Philippines. It does pay much

better in Vietnam and China.

At some point, I would bring my wife to the usa, but I decided no more internet - relationships and then go

to there and then come back and wait and etc.. Im done with that.. I will just live there until we decide

to come to the usa, and if it doesn't work out, I will know far in advance before bringing her to the usa.

The first wife wasnt so bad, but I had kids at the time, and she didnt like them, or any kids and etc etc.

she took off when she made sure she had all the papers to stay in the usa.. about 2years. she hung

around 2.5 years..

The second fiance was a total joke, and thought all she needed to do was just get her and she could take off on her own... I think it used to be that way.. so I had to put her back on the plane... That one was where I only

had gone to the P.I. for a month to see her and then did the come back and wait routine. All the while

sending ridiculous amounts of money to her, because im stupid.

So I thought I was done with the Philippines, and I dated a chinese girl here in Seattle for awhile. Well geez, this woman likes to fight and so on.. sheesh.. I just want peace. I had been writing the cousin of the girl I brought over, and she kept coming around to chat and so forth even if I dont send money. Lately I had not sent her

anything. I know how poor she is, and I didnt mind sending a little money to help her. I didnt really feel a big romance connection with her, because we have a language barrier. Overtime, I have been impressed with her

attitude. She is a happy person, and I think she wants to live peacefully. She knows im not rich at all, and that

we would be living very basic there for awhile until I get my stock business going, and also until I get a job. etc.

So ya I make a lot more money here, but my expenses are huge also.. By the time its all done, Im not so sure

Good luck!

hey i still remember your story. i'm just curious, well i know you probably met her in person since she is the cousin of your ex fiancee but have you been together physically as a couple? i suggest that before you make a big decision of moving to Cebu you should visit her first and see if you still have the 'connection' that you have when you are talking online. also, try to know her very well first. there are some people in the Philippines who see Americans as money. i am not saying that she is like that but there are some people who may take advantage of you because some Filipinos have a perception that Americans have lots of money. as for job hunting, some employers in the philippines have age requirement. if you are in your 40s you have a limited chance of finding a job so i think it is better for you to put up your own business instead. this is just my opinion okay. good luck!

Edited by pinoy_pinay

"We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28

[/url]

If you are a traveler person you should read the culture first you should understand study the cases of the particular country where ever you go in this world in any parts of the country its not perfect there is always something good and bad scenarios you gonna be experience ,at least you have to get a deep ideas what type of people this one particular country and do your own survelance to find out if you are going to do so or try to visit back in fourth not only once many times meet the whole family to know her you have to stay in there house us open as you can be before you propose for married and you can find out if shes just marrying you for your money or for immigration purposes only gathered all the information you have to visit some relatives of her friends investigate and you learn , so that down the road you have enough idea also what kind of people are you talking with and you can compare how and which country you been and aware about what you getting into we know we are just human we easily attracted and be tempted with the out look of one person sweet words but you been in school beeing an ignorant is not an excuse in the law .I been traveling a lot outside from my country to work. Before i decided to commit a relationship first thing i did after my college i got the job first in the philippines before i decided to accept any job form overseas . First i enjoy my single life my carreer and my money . I have a family leaving and working in new york city for 20 years now. I guess some other people they learn from there mistakes but they keep doing it until they truely find out which and you is the best for them make a wise decission and be smart .I wish you the best this time i hope you learn form the past and maybe this time you find the real person that you care for you and love you for the rest of you life ....

GOD BE WITH YOU

Pineapple

K-I

129-F VSC 05/31/07

NO1  06/4/07

NO2  11/ 5/07

Interview  01/ 4/08

Visa Recieve  01/11/08

POE DI to ROC 01/15/08

AOS

Packet sent IL. 04/11/09

Bio. Appoint. 05/ 12/08

Card Production 7/17/08

Green Card recieve 07/ 24/08

REMOVING OF CONDITION

Sent packet VSC 4/19/10

NOA Recieve 5/01/10

Biometric 05/28/10

Card production 7/1/10

10 years greencard 7/12/10

N-400 Time Line June 2011

I have some great memories of Cebu and still maintain contact with some really nice people living there. There is an expats group in Cebu too

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/cebucitytoday/

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Hey there you should visit Philippines a few times before u move there. I personally really love it however it might not be for everyone. Do you like sweating all the time and do you mind hot /possibly humid weather, have you experience monsoon rains and flooding. Parts of Philippines are very congested and crowded. No jobs really it is better to get ur own business. They want ads are very different than here they can discriminate based on age and other things. $5000.00 is expensive for an apartment. Food there if you got American $$ is cheap, however for the most part is expensive if you have pesos. Good luck but visit and spend time there first.

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

it sounds to me like you are searching for the right girl. I had met a girl online and we where friends then she tried to push a relationship on me when i visited the island. Later i found out at the time she was pregnant with her still current boyfriend baby. It was good news for me cuz i was felt like i was being pressured, as if there was going to be a shot gun wedding or something. Well it was her cousin who made me see that she was lying. The cousin and i became close and got involve. But i ended it. I felt there was something weird about dating cousin something in me felt it was wrong for her to do that to her cousin, i know i am weird. So keep in mind some people in the philippines are poor and ambitious some will do anything for money. So you have to be careful. After i got back to the USA I had some work i had to do. It required to be on my computer. So i figured i could have done that any where. I decide to spend a few months in the phil and work there. I did not hangout with anyone i met before on my first trip. One day while i was window shopping this sales lady was trying to convince me to buy a sunglasses we started talking more like debating and we became friends and later fell in love. That is my woman now. Now we want her to get her US paper but at the same time i find my self day dreaming of the phil. Yes the people are nosy as hell, but i think you'll get use to it. Food don't cost much, less taxes, land does not cost much. I am thinking of buying a land over there and building a home in the future. Anyway enough about me. I think if you want a real good girl you should the go there and just live. Relax don't worry the right girl will come natural. Tip stay away from the girls that throws them selves at you. One thing i like about the phil is at the same time there are people that will do anything for money. They are still a lot of people who are conservative and respectful to themselves. It might be the girl your going to see or it might be some one new. Living there will help you. Many people that i have met talk about filipinas like they are a product to buy in the super market. I think this is the wrong way of thinking you have to see filipinas like anyone else. Then they will be human again to you, not a fantasy. And you have a better chance of seeing them for who they are and meeting the right person.

sent out 129f 8/10/08

received notification on aug 8/13/08

approved 12/15/09

received notice from NVC 12/19/09

still no package 1/21/09

11257.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.