Philosykos

Didn't realize I had an A# - shall we contact USCIS?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi, I am new here, and my fiancé and I just filed the I-129F petition. He is the US citizen, I am German. I'm sure many of you can imagine that I am somewhat nervous (and impatient!) about the process...

So my first question is maybe a petty one: I didn't know I had an A#, so I put "none" on all forms. I did give them my SSN (I have lived in the US for several years as a student). However, today I looked at my old EAD (employment authorization) card (of which we included a copy in the package), and realized that there is an A# on there... stupid me!

So now I wonder if we should call or write about the mistake to USCIS, or if we should let them figure it out themselves. It is obviously an unintentional mistake, since I am submitting my EAD card with the number to them.

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

It's likely any corrections you try to make now will not be made anyway. At least, that's what we've seen here.

It's an understandable mistake and because you included your other information they'll probably just figure it out anyway.

just fyi... "A" number or Alien Registration Number is number issued to permanent residents or anyone legal or illegal who has been before the immigration court or immigration service. This includes students and workers.

When my (then) fiance was allowed to withdraw his petition to enter the U.S. he was also issued an A# simply because he dealt with immigration. We didn't even realize until later in the process ....therefore never included it on his forms either. We got through just fine. ;)

timeline.jpg

You do not need to make/send in any correction for this - they (USCIS) will find your A# and enter it for you. We didn't realize we had one either and put 'none' - our NOA2 (approval) had the A# on it (we later matched it to Karin's original A#).

Not to worry. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.