NINA58

RE-ENTRY PERMIT, PLEASE HELP!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My dad is in USA and recieved his green card recently. His return ticket is for next month Feb 5th and I have 2 questions:

1: How long can he stay outside of USA with his green card? ( I've heard less than one year, so 10 months is oK?)

2: I was thinking about re-entry permit but I don't know if one month is nough time to get finger prnted an etc...

he has a ticket for next month, I am so confused.

Do you know if it can be one in a month or less?

Thanks

My dad is in USA and recieved his green card recently. His return ticket is for next month Feb 5th and I have 2 questions:

1: How long can he stay outside of USA with his green card? ( I've heard less than one year, so 10 months is oK?)

2: I was thinking about re-entry permit but I don't know if one month is nough time to get finger prnted an etc...

he has a ticket for next month, I am so confused.

Do you know if it can be one in a month or less?

Thanks

1 - up to one year, he will have to return before one year is up though, so one year + 1 day, not ok, unless he has a re-entry permit or returning resident visa. 10 months, no problem.

2 - not sure on the time frame for fingerprinting.

You can always get an INFOPASS appointment to ask from the source!

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Fingerprints come within the first 30 days after you file the application (I-131 Travel Document/Re-entry Permit).

If you dont receive the fingerprints after 30 days you must call USCIS Customer Service to get them to do a Service Request (Notifies the office with jurisdiction over your case to send the fingerprints) and by that time you must wait 45 days for them to be re-sent.

But usually people can get them within 30 days after filing. It just depends on how your address is with receiving mail from USCIS. If you've never had problems before you will most likely get it 10-20 days (or less depending how far you live from the center that has jurisdiction over your case). So its up to you if you want to risk it. Its cutting it close February the 5th. Very close.

I just work Tier I (civilian) customer service for USCIS and have been in many types of scenarios over the years. I am filled with Immigration knowledge.

I believe I can help make everyones process simpler by helping out, even if its something small like a forum

So, thats me. If you need help I may be able to assist feel free to PM me if I haven't seen your post yet.

USCIS Customer Service: 1 800 375 5283 (M-F 8AM-6PM in all US Timezones including territories)

In any case, I may be around from time to time. I understand the frustration that you guys go through over something that should be so much simpler.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.