one...two...tree

This Looks Like the Start of a Second Great Depression

126 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yes he did. I hope the Republicans in Congress can set aside their ideological differences and listen to economists like Krugman.

Just the Republicans? Shouldn't the Democrats do the same? :wacko:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These neo-New deal ideas that Paul Krugman is proposing have never worked. What these Keynesians will never understand is that wealth cannot be created by a bureaucrat signing a bill. It can be shifted to other areas, but not created out of nothing.

Forcing the wage rate above actual real market levels, and creating temporary "dig a hole, then fill it" jobs is exactly what perpetuated 20+ percent unemployment in the 30's. What's Krugman have to say about this? That the government didn't spend enough money. Wow.

I suppose intellect is not a requirement for the 'ol Nobel.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yes he did. I hope the Republicans in Congress can set aside their ideological differences and listen to economists like Krugman.

Absolutely. The Democrats aren't the ones though who set up a website asking for economists who are stimulus proposal skeptics to step forward. :jest:

3120885827_23eb4f14d4.jpg

http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=10543

Timeline

Absolutely. The Democrats aren't the ones though who set up a website asking for economists who are stimulus proposal skeptics to step forward. :jest:

I am a stimulus skeptic.

Government breeds bureaucracy, that's the only thing they are good at. For each "real" job they

create, they will appoint a bureaucrat to oversee it, then another one to oversee the second one,

and before you know it, you've got a whole oversight committee full of government bureaucrats.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

I am a stimulus skeptic.

Government breeds bureaucracy, that's the only thing they are good at. For each "real" job they

create, they will appoint a bureaucrat to oversee it, then another one to oversee the second one,

and before you know it, you've got a whole oversight committee full of government bureaucrats.

Problematic bureaucracy isn't exclusive to government, nor is it any more an inherent aspect of government than it is in private enterprise.

Timeline

I am a stimulus skeptic.

Problematic bureaucracy isn't exclusive to government, nor is it any more an inherent aspect of government than it is in private enterprise.

Yes it is.

Filed: Timeline

AT&T was renown for its bureaucracies.

So was Lucent. And IBM GS when I was there.

Are they still?

You did notice my use of the word 'was', I hope.

That's a big difference between public and private. The private sector self-corrects, although the corrections are usually quite painful.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

AT&T was renown for its bureaucracies.

So was Lucent. And IBM GS when I was there.

Are they still?

You did notice my use of the word 'was', I hope.

That's a big difference between public and private. The private sector self-corrects, although the corrections are usually quite painful.

Exactly. When the government f#cks up, they just create more bureaucracy to fix their f#ckups.

Timeline

I am a stimulus skeptic.

Yes it is.

Mark, this is a silly ideological argument. It's the premise that without incentive of profit, an entity such as government is incapable of efficiency. Non-profits as well as many examples of governmental efficiency prove otherwise. The key is accountability - whether it is to shareholders or the voting public, accountability is the best way to minimize bureaucracy.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Timeline

I am a stimulus skeptic.

Yes it is.

Mark, this is a silly ideological argument. It's the premise that without incentive of profit, an entity such as government is incapable of efficiency. Non-profits as well as many examples of governmental efficiency prove otherwise. The key is accountability - whether it is to shareholders or the voting public, accountability is the best way to minimize bureaucracy.

Can you name a couple of examples of "governmental efficiency"?

You don't need "accountability" to run a business well. Most companies are private and don't

have any "shareholders" to answer to, yet they are doing fine.

Filed: Timeline

I don't know how efficient they are since I haven't seen their books (and don't want to :lol:) but my personal experiences with the DMV and IRS have all been flawless.

Edited by A.J.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
I don't know how efficient they are since I haven't seen their books (and don't want to :lol:) but my personal experiences with the DMV and IRS have all been flawless.

The IRS does have a "profit incentive" - without the money they collect, they would be no government :jest:

Timeline
Can you name a couple of examples of "governmental efficiency"?

You don't need "accountability" to run a business well. Most companies are private and don't

have any "shareholders" to answer to, yet they are doing fine.

Here's just one example:

NYC's Growth Backed by 11 Years of Transit Improvements

New York City's growth has been borne on the back of a steadily improving transit system. That's the implication of a recently released NYCDOT report, Sustainable Streets Index 2008, that found that although NYC continued to grow between 2003 and 2007, traffic actually declined. Subway and bus ridership increased almost 9% in the same period. (The report is the result of the passage of Intro 199 — now Local Law 23 — which requires NYCDOT to measure progress towards sustainability goals; see MTR # 550.)

http://blog.tstc.org/2008/12/16/nycs-growt...t-improvements/

Private companies are accountable to themselves. They're not using other people's money.

Edited by Mister Fancypants