Bern.

Have to delay filing K-1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Soo, I just found out today that my fiance is going to be deployed to Kuwait(?) in March 2008. Needless to say, this sets us back a bit. We were going to send off the I-129F on the 15th, but now we cannot. We think it would be too complicated. ):

I was wondering if it is possible for me to send out the petition instead? Or does he, himself have to personally send it?

It's completely put together with all the signatures and documentations and I know it takes about 6-9 months nowadays to be approved. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to send it out 6 months before he comes home. (But we're still unaware at this point for how long he is being deployed for. It could be 6 months to a year.)

Suggestions are much appreciated. ):

Thank you so much everybody.

<3

Edited by Ber + Ter

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: Other Timeline

You can put the application in and when he has his orders you can request (through Military Helpline) that your case be expedited because of his orders.

This link should explain it better:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/faqmili...iliesupdate.pdf

Edited by Singers

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Timeline

Well, he should have his official orders by the end of the month. But he's getting deployed in 2 months. So, I don't think we could get expedite for that. :S Uh, this is so difficult.

Could he just take the petition overseas with him and send it off 5 months before he comes home? Or maybe we should just wait until he comes back to the United States. We just want to avoid complications.

So far we're thinking of just waiting until he comes home. But for now, I'm going to gather more information and make a decision once we find out his official orders.

dev356pr___.png

You can put the application in and when he has his orders you can request (through Military Helpline) that your case be expedited because of his orders.

This link should explain it better:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/faqmili...iliesupdate.pdf

Military expidite is only avaible to spouses of active duty US military with deployment orders. It would not make sense to expedite a K-1 because it could very well be impossible to marry within the ninety day time period

You might want to consider marrying now and after the marriage having him either contact the hotline or his JAG office to do an expidited CR-1.

Timeline

Well, he is coming back up to Canada (hopefully) before he gets deployed for a visit. I personally do not want to get married first because it would be difficult to prove a bonafide marriage...or at least I think. I mean we don't have any children together nor do we share financial funds, although he does sometimes send me money via pay pal when I am struggling. The only thing we could do to prove a marriage is to have third parties write letters, etc. We are more than positive that the K-1 is the way to go.

The major thing I am wondering now is if he can send the I-129F to the California Service Center, 5 months prior to returning home. :S

dev356pr___.png

The major thing I am wondering now is if he can send the I-129F to the California Service Center, 5 months prior to returning home. :S

Sure as long as his US domicile is in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, or Wyoming

I think it would be a good idea to send it in now because the processing of the I-129F petition is around 5 months right now, by the time he gets back from his deployment you would be (hopefully) on track to having your interview by then! Then once he gets back he can prepare the I-134 Affadavit of Support for you and an updated fiance letter of intent. You could expedite it but then you would have to put off coming to the US to marry until he gets back from his deployment. Also he would have to prepare needed documents for you for the interview while he is in Kuwait, which may or may not be possible for him. Anyways, best of luck!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline
I think it would be a good idea to send it in now because the processing of the I-129F petition is around 5 months right now, by the time he gets back from his deployment you would be (hopefully) on track to having your interview by then! Then once he gets back he can prepare the I-134 Affadavit of Support for you and an updated fiance letter of intent. You could expedite it but then you would have to put off coming to the US to marry until he gets back from his deployment. Also he would have to prepare needed documents for you for the interview while he is in Kuwait, which may or may not be possible for him. Anyways, best of luck!

That would be a good idea but in the event that he doesn't come back as soon as we'd like, could we change the interview date? He is going to be in Kuwait for 6 months to a year. So I don't want to send it off if the dates will be whacked. I heard that once I get the VISA I have 6 months to use it then I have 90 days to marry. Hm..well, we'll figure out what to do once we find out how long he'll be away for. (:

But we CAN change the interview date if needed right? ):?

dev356pr___.png

BTW He should contact his units JAG office after getting his deployment orders. As he is being deployed to a war zone there is probably a requirement in effect that he notify his commanding officer of any petition submitted for an alien spouse or fiance'

That may answer all your questions :whistle:

Timeline

O_O! Good idea. You're all so helpful. (: I'll tell him to ask his Sargent what the best course of action would be. And about Kuwait, I heard it's like a tourist town. Or a I being completely lied to? Haha.

dev356pr___.png

O_O! Good idea. You're all so helpful. (: I'll tell him to ask his Sargent what the best course of action would be. And about Kuwait, I heard it's like a tourist town. Or a I being completely lied to? Haha.

I have heard that too! My fiance could have been deployed to Guam, I think he wanted to go, but anyways, and he and his coworkers said its a fun place to go! When he was deployed elsewhere to an island he had a LONG layover in Kuwait which sucked apparently, but they were probably not allowed off the base! I remember him calling me from there and I bawlled the whole phone call!! Anyways, best of luck!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

That would be a good idea but in the event that he doesn't come back as soon as we'd like, could we change the interview date? He is going to be in Kuwait for 6 months to a year. So I don't want to send it off if the dates will be whacked. I heard that once I get the VISA I have 6 months to use it then I have 90 days to marry. Hm..well, we'll figure out what to do once we find out how long he'll be away for. (:

But we CAN change the interview date if needed right? ):?

I believe you can, you would just have to send a letter explaining the situation, possibly with some supporting documents from your fiance extending his deployment. I have heard Vancouver is pretty accomodating/easy to deal with.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

Having a fiance in the military is such a hassle. When I was visiting him last month, his recruiter told us to just get married and adjust status...haha. Anyway, it seems like it will be a total pain to marry once I even get down there. I'll be hard to schedule his leave, so thank god for the K-1 giving you 6 months to activate it.

Does anybody know if I could just enter the USA about 2 1/2 weeks or a month before his leave and apply for a SSN with a I-94(?) after 2 or so weeks by myself so that way I'd have it before he gets his leave? We'll probably get married at some random place in Las Vegas, which I don't think I need a SSN for..and that would be where I'd go until he could relocate me to El Paso. @_@

Sigh, it's so confusing ):

I'm sure him and I can do this but still

sjkdnasjkaskdaskads

dev356pr___.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.