newenglander

Shipping from Lancashire to East Coast USA

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, Any suggestions on a reliable and reasonable shipping company? My fiance is in the Burnley area of Lancs and has one very large (6.5 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft) heavy box to get over to the Boston area. It contains an oak china cabinet packed solidly with other belongings inside it. He was set to go but the company went out of business and all he can find are really expensive.

We don't mind if it goes to NY -- we could go and pick it up there. I checked the shipping thread and came up with All Freight, Global Moves, Move Me, John Mason, and Seven Seas. He's going to try all of those but I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas in case he can't use them. Most places he's called want him to transport the box to London first and that makes it very expensive. If anyone has any good recent experience, I'd love to know. Thank you very much.

Met - online April 2006

Met - in Person August 2006

Got engaged - July 2007

I129 Filed - February 14, 2008

NOA1 received - February 21, 2008

NOA2 received - March 31, 2008

Rec. at NVA - April 7, 2008

Packet 3 rec. - May 9, 2008

Medical in London - Aug 5, 2008

Interview - Dec. 9, 2008-APPROVED Pending more info.

APPROVED - Dec. 22, 2008

Arrival in USA - Jan. 22, 2009

Marriage - April 11, 2009

Filed for AOS - June 29, 2009

Received Biometrics appt - July 12, 2009

(Biometrics in Boston - August 5, 2009)

A lot of useful information can be found in this thread: Shipping. It also has links to previous threads on shipping, too.

Personally, we used Excess Baggage and were very happy with the results. We had 20 boxes of stuff shipped door to door (London to Connecticut) and it cost us about 600 quid, I think.

I'm going to ask one of the mods if we can please have the shipping thread stickied in place of the passport one, which is hardly ever used. Anyone object?

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
A lot of useful information can be found in this thread: Shipping. It also has links to previous threads on shipping, too.

Personally, we used Excess Baggage and were very happy with the results. We had 20 boxes of stuff shipped door to door (London to Connecticut) and it cost us about 600 quid, I think.

I'm going to ask one of the mods if we can please have the shipping thread stickied in place of the passport one, which is hardly ever used. Anyone object?

As I mentioned, I had already checked the shipping thread and I found some suggestions on it.

I was asking specifically if anyone knew something about shipping from the Burnley area instead of London.

Also, with so many companies going out of business my fiance is finding that his previous arrangements have fallen through so he wanted to know the latest up-to-date information. (If there is, in fact, any newer information.)

I, for one, have no objection to making a sticky thread for the shipping.

Met - online April 2006

Met - in Person August 2006

Got engaged - July 2007

I129 Filed - February 14, 2008

NOA1 received - February 21, 2008

NOA2 received - March 31, 2008

Rec. at NVA - April 7, 2008

Packet 3 rec. - May 9, 2008

Medical in London - Aug 5, 2008

Interview - Dec. 9, 2008-APPROVED Pending more info.

APPROVED - Dec. 22, 2008

Arrival in USA - Jan. 22, 2009

Marriage - April 11, 2009

Filed for AOS - June 29, 2009

Received Biometrics appt - July 12, 2009

(Biometrics in Boston - August 5, 2009)

I think the shipping thread would be useful as a sticky tbh.

I shipped from Bristol and had no problems - I don't live in London but I just called all the places I found on here and from doing a Google search (www.google.com - search for "international shipping") and found that most were able to accommodate me - I didn't find any that said I needed to send my belongings to London first although I know they left from there - maybe there is some confusion because transportation would be included in the cost? From what I know, most things that are shipped are shipped from London, but I couldn't speak for air freight because I never used it...

If you don't want to pay for the transportation costs to London (I think they are normally included in the final shipping price) maybe it would be possible for your fiance to take a trip down there himself? I am not sure if this would work out more cost effective for you?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

We just booked with Excess Baggage in Birmingham. They have a depot in Birmingham New Street (which is about a 5 minute walk from our flat), but decided that we'd have them come pick it up anyway since Spurs has a LOT of books and CDs to ship in addition to the rest of our stuff. We have 6 2-cubic foot boxes and 3 3-cubic foot boxes and I think the estimate was around £350 (perhaps a bit higher). They'll deliver directly to our house in Ohio in 4 to 12 weeks.

You might have an easier time if you repack some of the stuff into boxes so that it's lighter--that might make finding a company who can help easier.

We just booked with Excess Baggage in Birmingham. They have a depot in Birmingham New Street (which is about a 5 minute walk from our flat), but decided that we'd have them come pick it up anyway since Spurs has a LOT of books and CDs to ship in addition to the rest of our stuff. We have 6 2-cubic foot boxes and 3 3-cubic foot boxes and I think the estimate was around £350 (perhaps a bit higher). They'll deliver directly to our house in Ohio in 4 to 12 weeks.

You might have an easier time if you repack some of the stuff into boxes so that it's lighter--that might make finding a company who can help easier.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.