srogue

Marriage Requirements for getting married in the Phils.

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I and my filipina fiance plan on getting married in the Philippines in the end of February. I am American citizen, and neither me or my fiance have been married before. I know as an American, I need to get an Afidavit from the consular office in Cebu (she lives on cebu so I will just get it there), also I know I need my passport. But for her, I have read conflicting things. She is under 21, so I know we will need parental consent. Also, she will need her NSO Birth Cert. I know also we will have to attend a seminar and get counseling from her pastor (we are not Catholic, but are Protestant.)

The one thing I see conflicting statements on, is whether she needs a CENOMAR to obtain a marriage license. I have read websites stating emphatically that she doesn't need a CENOMAR, such as http://www.western-asian.com/archives/42

But then I've read also people saying she will need one. So my question is, does anyone who has been married in the Phils. know for sure whether she will need a CENOMAR or not? Is there a way to find out for sure? Will her barangay Municipal Hall know for sure? If she wont need one, good, that will make things much simpler, since I will arrive there in early Feb. and we will go directly to the municipal hall and apply for the license. I know there is a 10 day waiting period too, so we are trying to time our wedding day and make plans now and knowing whether we will have to get her a CENOMAR nor not will make things easier to plan, especially if we will pay for relatives to be coming from other islands.

If she does need a CENOMAR, if I order it online, it takes up to a month to get sometimes? That would take too long for us and the time I will be there, so she said she heard you could go to a city called dumaguete and you can have your CENOMAR in just one day of waiting, is that true?

If no CENOMAR is required, then all is good, but either way, any help would be apprecaited. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I and my filipina fiance plan on getting married in the Philippines in the end of February. I am American citizen, and neither me or my fiance have been married before. I know as an American, I need to get an Afidavit from the consular office in Cebu (she lives on cebu so I will just get it there), also I know I need my passport. But for her, I have read conflicting things. She is under 21, so I know we will need parental consent. Also, she will need her NSO Birth Cert. I know also we will have to attend a seminar and get counseling from her pastor (we are not Catholic, but are Protestant.)

The one thing I see conflicting statements on, is whether she needs a CENOMAR to obtain a marriage license. I have read websites stating emphatically that she doesn't need a CENOMAR, such as http://www.western-asian.com/archives/42

But then I've read also people saying she will need one. So my question is, does anyone who has been married in the Phils. know for sure whether she will need a CENOMAR or not? Is there a way to find out for sure? Will her barangay Municipal Hall know for sure? If she wont need one, good, that will make things much simpler, since I will arrive there in early Feb. and we will go directly to the municipal hall and apply for the license. I know there is a 10 day waiting period too, so we are trying to time our wedding day and make plans now and knowing whether we will have to get her a CENOMAR nor not will make things easier to plan, especially if we will pay for relatives to be coming from other islands.

If she does need a CENOMAR, if I order it online, it takes up to a month to get sometimes? That would take too long for us and the time I will be there, so she said she heard you could go to a city called dumaguete and you can have your CENOMAR in just one day of waiting, is that true?

If no CENOMAR is required, then all is good, but either way, any help would be apprecaited. Thanks in advance.

May as well get the CENOMAR now. She also should get a CEMAR later right before her USEM interview.

This link should help in the overall process.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha009.html

WE were married in PI and a CENOMAR wasn't required. May be different in different cities and provinces tho.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

every city has a different requirement before getting married here, we were not asked one..

just to be sure let her get a cenomar, it can be useful on your visajourney soon...

its only 150 or 180 pesos and she can get it in an hour in NSO CEBU if she lives in that city.

I never asked for CENOMAR when we applied for the for marriage. BUt it might be diff. to other cities. Better to get one now ASAP. It will not hurt her if she will have get it now.

Good Luck! and Congrats!

<style>body{background-image:url(http://images67.imikimi.com/image/images2_full/19twj-101.gif);background-repeat:no-repeat;}</style>

every city has a different requirement before getting married here, we were not asked one..

just to be sure let her get a cenomar, it can be useful on your visajourney soon...

its only 150 or 180 pesos and she can get it in an hour in NSO CEBU if she lives in that city.

Oh, thanks much! She seemed to think there wasn't an office to get a CENOMAR in cebu, only in dumaguete. I'll talk to her today about it, if that is the case and we can get a CENOMAR in one day/a few hours, and not have to wait a month, then all is good!

Thanks much!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please also make sure that you could get the affidavit in Cebu-US embassy. It might only be available in Manila.

05/18/07 married

05/29/07 sent I-130s for me & my daughter at CSC

06/16/07 checks for I-130 cashed

06/19/07 sent I-129F not waiting for noa1 but with printed online copies of checks cashed

06/25/07 check for I-129f cashed

06/29/07 transferred I-129f to CSC

07/03/07 received noa1 in the mail for I-129f

10/31/07 approved K3 and my I-130 except for my daughter

11/05/07 received NOA2 in the mail

12/01/07 received mail from NVC/yey we got our case number

12/20/07 went to St. Lukes and had my early medical exam

01/30/08 schedule for medical

02/07/08 interview, approved!

02/12/08 visa pick-up/cfo

02/14/08 POE-LAX

06/19/08 AOS mailed thru USPS

06/22/08 AOS delivered to Chicago IL

06/28/08 check cashed

06/30/08 received NOA1 dated 06/25/08

07/26/08 biometrics appointment

09/09/08 received EAD card in the mail

12/03/08 received interview letter for Jan 21 2009

01/21/09 approved for conditional permanent residence

02/02/09 permanent residence card arrived in the mail

10/21/10 submit form to remove conditions

01/21/11 10 year gc received

03/05/12 mailed my N-400

03/06/12 received email that they have my N-400

04/05/12 biometrics

Please also make sure that you could get the affidavit in Cebu-US embassy. It might only be available in Manila.

Just "seconding" whats been said already, we were not required to get a CENOMAR before marrying in the Philippines we were only required to go to the U.S Embassy and get the Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry for the US citizen. I think under a certain age for women maybe it was 21 they also needed parental consent and under 25 parental advice form given to the municipality where they applied for a marriage contract, I could be a lil off on that though. I dont remember exactly how the parental thing worked out.

Edited by tzeksman

Married :...................06-09-2007

I-130 Sent : ..............11-03-2007

I-130 recieved:...........11-05-2007

NOA 1:.......................02-07-2008

I-130 Approved :.........03-13-2008

NVC Received :...........03-27-2008

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :...04-15-2008

Paid I-864 Fee Bill:.....................04-18-2008

IV Fee Bill Generated:.................05-05-2008

IV Fee Bill Recieved:...................05-10-2008

IV Fee paid mailed USPS Xpress:.05-12-2008

Recieved AOS letter:...................05-15-2008

Sent AOS packet to NVC:..............05-20-2008

DS230 paket generated:..............06-02-2008

DS230 packet recieved:...............06-19-2008

DS230 sent to NVC:.....................06-27-2008

DS230 recieved by NVC:..............06-30-2008...................."It's all up to them now"

Case completed at NVC:...............07-09-2008...................."Thank you God"

Sons CRBA interview and approval at USE Manila............7-09-08

SLEC medical completed........9-3, 9-4, 9-5, 9-10-07......yes those lazys at SLEC took 4 days!!!!

Interview USE Manilla.................09-17-2008 APPROVED!!

VISA DELIVERED..........................09-19-2008

I FLY to fetch my family.................10-13-2008

We Fly back as a family FINALLY.....10-24-2008

P1011144-1.jpgP1010098-1.jpg1thumb.jpgP1010448.jpg

Hey guys,

you dont need a cenomar just legal capacity, ur passport, parental consent of her parents, birthcert of ur fiance.hope its helps.good luck .

The best thing I suggest your soon to be wife should do is go to her city/town hall and ask for the list of requirements you need to procure before you can get married.That's what I did. And if you guys both wanted to get married in Civil Ceremony, she might as well ask how much is Judges fee, beware for fixers. Look for the judge's office and ask directly there.

You at least need 7-10 days before getting your marriage license.

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.