Kim2023

Changing Last Name while I-751 waiver is pending?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I re-filed my I-751 (Waiver - Mental cruelty) in 07/2008 under my married name.

I got my Divorce Decree a day before we send the I-751 (mental cruelty waiver) packet. My lawyer had kept the I-751 packet ready and just attached the divorce decree and FedEx it overnight as my Conditional GC was expiring in 5-7 days. My I-751 was filed under my married name, even though I was divorced and could have filed under my maiden name; the reason being, my lawyer not having "the time" to change my last name on every document and affidavit and said that we can request for the same during the interview.

My question is that what if there is no interview? Then how do I change my last name to my madien name while my I-751 is pending?

FYI: I got my 1 year extension letter, but have not received a biometric appointment letter yet. I had previously filed an I-751 in October 2007 (Divorce Waiver). I was not divorced at that time, my lawyer suggested it.....it’s a long story. I had received a Biometric letter for that one, but no extension letter; hence re-filed it in July 2008. Now I have the extension letter, but no Biometric. But my main concern is the name change. I do not want my maried name on the 10 year GC. What are my options, before they approve it and send the card for production? I know that as of now its not sure that I will get my 10yr GC, but no harm in being optimistic :-)

Thanks a ton,

Kim

Filed: Timeline

If the application to remove conditions is approved and a card with a 10 year expiry date is issued in your former name (married name in this case) and you wish to change your name, you would have to file an I-90 form. From its instructions it states that form I-90 is used,

1. To replace a lost, stolen or destroyed card; or

2. To update a card after change of name or other biographic

data; or

3. To replace a card that is mutilated; or

4. To replace a card that is incorrect on account of USCIS

error; or

5. To replace a card that was never received.

6. When you have an older edition of the card and must

replace it with the current type of card.

Of course as I mentioned earlier to you, you coul try contacting the local office to see if they have picked up from your divorce decree that you asked that the court restore your maiden name. Who knows, perhaps you will be lucky and save yourself the filing fee. Alternatively, if you plan to naturalise, name changing can be performed at that stage by simply noting the name you wish to assume on the N-400 form.

I re-filed my I-751 (Waiver - Mental cruelty) in 07/2008 under my married name.

I got my Divorce Decree a day before we send the I-751 (mental cruelty waiver) packet. My lawyer had kept the I-751 packet ready and just attached the divorce decree and FedEx it overnight as my Conditional GC was expiring in 5-7 days. My I-751 was filed under my married name, even though I was divorced and could have filed under my maiden name; the reason being, my lawyer not having "the time" to change my last name on every document and affidavit and said that we can request for the same during the interview.

My question is that what if there is no interview? Then how do I change my last name to my madien name while my I-751 is pending?

FYI: I got my 1 year extension letter, but have not received a biometric appointment letter yet. I had previously filed an I-751 in October 2007 (Divorce Waiver). I was not divorced at that time, my lawyer suggested it.....it’s a long story. I had received a Biometric letter for that one, but no extension letter; hence re-filed it in July 2008. Now I have the extension letter, but no Biometric. But my main concern is the name change. I do not want my maried name on the 10 year GC. What are my options, before they approve it and send the card for production? I know that as of now its not sure that I will get my 10yr GC, but no harm in being optimistic :-)

Thanks a ton,

Kim

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.