Loving Neneng

Filing married status on income taxes

17 posts in this topic

Hello. Not sure if this is the proper place to ask this question but I got married this year and want to claim my wife on my income taxes when I file early next year. What do I need to claim her as she is still in the Philippines and has never been to USA yet. It normally asks for social security number but of course she has none. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Met thru friend May 2006

02/22/2008-Married

04/02/2008-Date I-130 Sent :

04/10/2008-Date I-130 NOA1 (Receipt) :

07/03/2008-Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) :

07/03/2008-Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :

07/12/2008- Date Package Received By NVC :

07/15/2008- Return Completed DS-3032 :

09/06/2008- Pay I-864 Bill : Bill in mail while in Philippines for two months

09/12/2008- Receive IV Bill :

09/16/2008- Paid IV Bill online :

09/18/2008- Bill shows paid online :

09/27/2008- Received I-864 Package :

09/29/2008- Mailed I-864 Package to NVC :

10/02/2008- I-864 packet delivered to Portsmouth NH 11AM per USPS tracking

10/03/2008- I-864 package entered into NVC system

10/13/2008- I-864 confirmed approved by phone with NVC

10/20/2008- In Philippines helping assembly DS-230 Documents to send

10/22/2008- Sent DS-230 package by FedEx to NVC :

10/23/2008- DS-230 Package rec'd by R. Pearse 9:27am at NVC

10/24/2008- Now just waiting for NVC to approve DS-230

10/29/2008- NVC approved DS-230, Called today 11/1/2008 from Phils to ask status and was told the good news!!!

11/06/2008- Interview date set 12/12/2008, Received email reply confirming date but still need letter!

11/20/2008- Letter received in Philippines

11/25/2008- Medical at St Lukes everything ok!!!!!!

12/12/2008- Interview complete but need Marriage Index from NSO. Applied for 12/15/2008

01/06/2009- Got Marriage Index at NSO & took it to USEM, was told they will call when Visa can be picked up

01/16/2009- Visa delivered by Delbros....fantastic!!!!

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I've done some resaerch on this lately...this might help although it's alot to weed through :)

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch02.h...ublink100032133

this is in the same page..worth reading

Considered Unmarried

To qualify for head of household status, you must be either unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests.

You file a separate return, defined earlier under Joint Return After Separate Returns .

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.

Your spouse did not live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. See Temporary absences , under Qualifying Person, later.

Your home was the main home of your child, stepchild, or foster child for more than half the year. (See Home of qualifying person , under Qualifying Person, later, for rules applying to a child's birth, death, or temporary absence during the year.)

You must be able to claim an exemption for the child. However, you meet this test if you cannot claim the exemption only because the noncustodial parent can claim the child using the rules described in Children of divorced or separated parents under Qualifying Child in chapter 3, or in Support Test for Children of Divorced or Separated Parents under Qualifying Relative in chapter 3. The general rules for claiming an exemption for a dependent are explained under Exemptions for Dependents in chapter 3.

Edited by Y_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Hello. Not sure if this is the proper place to ask this question but I got married this year and want to claim my wife on my income taxes when I file early next year. What do I need to claim her as she is still in the Philippines and has never been to USA yet. It normally asks for social security number but of course she has none. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I did so when my wife was still in the Philippines. Just submit W-7 with your tax return. She'll get the ITIN number later. Makes for more evidence of a bona fide marraige.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

My husband filed an ITIN for me back in the Philippines when we lived there and after 6 months I got it then he put my name in his income tax and they just ask for my ITIN number and when he claim it, my name is already there. His brother did it for us back then but I think you wont have any problem doing it by yourself. But you may need your wife's signature for applying ITIN for her.

Goodluck and Happy Holidays!

img0725ng.jpg

as1cxMsVM3D0000Mjk2bHN8MDA5Njk4c3xXZVwncmUgbWFycmllZCBmb3Ig.gif

I did so when my wife was still in the Philippines. Just submit W-7 with your tax return. She'll get the ITIN number later. Makes for more evidence of a bona fide marraige.

Thanks for everyones help. I will read these things.

Met thru friend May 2006

02/22/2008-Married

04/02/2008-Date I-130 Sent :

04/10/2008-Date I-130 NOA1 (Receipt) :

07/03/2008-Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) :

07/03/2008-Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :

07/12/2008- Date Package Received By NVC :

07/15/2008- Return Completed DS-3032 :

09/06/2008- Pay I-864 Bill : Bill in mail while in Philippines for two months

09/12/2008- Receive IV Bill :

09/16/2008- Paid IV Bill online :

09/18/2008- Bill shows paid online :

09/27/2008- Received I-864 Package :

09/29/2008- Mailed I-864 Package to NVC :

10/02/2008- I-864 packet delivered to Portsmouth NH 11AM per USPS tracking

10/03/2008- I-864 package entered into NVC system

10/13/2008- I-864 confirmed approved by phone with NVC

10/20/2008- In Philippines helping assembly DS-230 Documents to send

10/22/2008- Sent DS-230 package by FedEx to NVC :

10/23/2008- DS-230 Package rec'd by R. Pearse 9:27am at NVC

10/24/2008- Now just waiting for NVC to approve DS-230

10/29/2008- NVC approved DS-230, Called today 11/1/2008 from Phils to ask status and was told the good news!!!

11/06/2008- Interview date set 12/12/2008, Received email reply confirming date but still need letter!

11/20/2008- Letter received in Philippines

11/25/2008- Medical at St Lukes everything ok!!!!!!

12/12/2008- Interview complete but need Marriage Index from NSO. Applied for 12/15/2008

01/06/2009- Got Marriage Index at NSO & took it to USEM, was told they will call when Visa can be picked up

01/16/2009- Visa delivered by Delbros....fantastic!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Haole,

I need your advice with regards to SSN! My Husband and I went to SSA office 1st week of December after we got out marriage certificate to apply for SSN. but the lady at SSA told my husband that I need to change my status in my I-94!?!?! she made me confused because as far as I know I-94 cannot be change or renew.

Questions:

Do we need to file Adjustment of Status before I can get SSN on my married name?

How can my husband claim on his income tax? can we file W-7???

Thank you in advance... :)

Isaiah 49:16 Indeed, I have engraved you upon the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me.

hi Haole,

im going to send my signed w-7 to my husband so he can file his tax and send his AOS to NVC..

i would like to ask,is he going to apply for my ITIN first b4 he can file his tax? or like what u have said,he can file his tax already and just by submitting my w-7?

thank you

d5muaz79s9.pngs-event.png

IR-5 for dad

02/16/12 - mailed I-130

02/27/12 - NOA1 petition received(hubby's birthday!)

06/06/12 - NOA2 stating I-130 approved

06/29/12 - NVC received case

07/09/12 - case entered in the system,assigned MNL # and IIN,email add given

07/12/12 - beneficiary emailed DS-3032, auto response received

07/18/12 - AOS fee bill/paid "IN PROCESS"

07/20/12 - AOS fee bill shows "PAID", mailed AOS package

07/25/12 - received AOS

07/25/12 - IV Fee Bill Invoiced, paid $230.00 "IN PROCESS"

07/26/12 - IV Fee bill shows "PAID"

07/28/12 - mailed IV Package

08/03/12 - received DS 230 packet

08/14/12 - sent RFE

08/16/12 - NVC received RFE

08/21/12 - log in failed

08/22/12 - case complete!

09/26-27/12 - medical at SLMC

10/04/12 - interview

12/01/12 - Left Philippines

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Haole,

I need your advice with regards to SSN! My Husband and I went to SSA office 1st week of December after we got out marriage certificate to apply for SSN. but the lady at SSA told my husband that I need to change my status in my I-94!?!?! she made me confused because as far as I know I-94 cannot be change or renew.

Questions:

Do we need to file Adjustment of Status before I can get SSN on my married name?

Thank you in advance... :)

I believe NOT! I got my SSN in my married name and my AOS is still pending!

How do I know if I need an ITIN?

If you do not have a SSN and are not eligible to obtain a SSN, but you have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal income tax return, you must apply for an ITIN.

If you have an application for a SSN pending, do not file Form W-7. Complete Form W-7 only if the Social Security Administration (SSA) notifies you that a SSN cannot be issued.

I hope that helps...

Vida Taylor

You probably should call the IRS and ask them. If you can claim her as your spouse for 2008 and file a joint return, you can claim her as a resident of the United States for tax purposes for the entire year. Since she in not yet a resident, that might be difficult to do. If you do file a joint return, then you must report her income as well as yours, but you can take a rather large exception of that income, that is probably more than she made. Remember, she also has to sign the return, so that should be a clue as to what you can and cannot do.

Call the IRS. They are friendly enough. You will need to get the forms anyways, and you will have to attatch a statement to your return. I did it that way, and no one objected yet, and I got my stimulus check as well for a joint return.

Sonomacountygal's husband

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

I filed using a w-7 when my wife was still in the Philippines, but there was a small snag. I could not get my refund until my wife got here because her name is on the refund check.

I had direct deposit, but my bank rejected it because my wife's name was not on the account and they could not add her until she had her SSN. But my bank may be a little ####### anyway. . . ;)

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

I filed using a w-7 when my wife was still in the Philippines, but there was a small snag. I could not get my refund until my wife got here because her name is on the refund check.

I had direct deposit, but my bank rejected it because my wife's name was not on the account and they could not add her until she had her SSN. But my bank may be a little ####### anyway. . . ;)

when u filed ur tax with her w-7,how long did it take for u to get the copy of ur tax return?

coz im worried it may take weeks and weeks.. my husband needs to send it to NVC for my case..

d5muaz79s9.pngs-event.png

IR-5 for dad

02/16/12 - mailed I-130

02/27/12 - NOA1 petition received(hubby's birthday!)

06/06/12 - NOA2 stating I-130 approved

06/29/12 - NVC received case

07/09/12 - case entered in the system,assigned MNL # and IIN,email add given

07/12/12 - beneficiary emailed DS-3032, auto response received

07/18/12 - AOS fee bill/paid "IN PROCESS"

07/20/12 - AOS fee bill shows "PAID", mailed AOS package

07/25/12 - received AOS

07/25/12 - IV Fee Bill Invoiced, paid $230.00 "IN PROCESS"

07/26/12 - IV Fee bill shows "PAID"

07/28/12 - mailed IV Package

08/03/12 - received DS 230 packet

08/14/12 - sent RFE

08/16/12 - NVC received RFE

08/21/12 - log in failed

08/22/12 - case complete!

09/26-27/12 - medical at SLMC

10/04/12 - interview

12/01/12 - Left Philippines

• 2 weeks later...

It did take several weeks to get the return back from the IRS, but you can send a copy of the return you file, no need to wait for the one from the IRS.

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The following link has some good info on filing for a non-resident: http://www.aca.ch/brunaltx.htm . Good luck.

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2007-05-24

I-130 Sent : 2007-08-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-15 receipt date

I-130 NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

I-129F Sent : 2008-02-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-03

I-129F RFE(s) : None

RFE Reply(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-26 (email)

I-129F NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

NVC Received :2008-09-04

NVC Left : 2008-09-04

Consulate Received :2008-09-12

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Medical: 2008-09-23,24

Sputum Test Passed, complete medical: 2008-12-08

Interview Date : 2008-12-22, White Slips, need current marriage index and CENOMAR

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-01

I-130 Approval : 2008-08-26

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 179 days from your filing date.

Your I-130 was approved in 364 days from your filing date.

The following link has some good info on filing for a non-resident: http://www.aca.ch/brunaltx.htm . Good luck.

"If you are married to a non-American and you both live overseas,"

An interesting article, but my impression is that the OP is back in the States.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.