FCH

SLEC medical exam experience

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
here's my very own experience at st. luke's extension clinic aka SLEC.

december 15, 2008

arrived at SLEC at 7am. guards checked my NVC letter, appointment letter and passport. told me to have the NVC letter and appointment letter photocopied. went across the street to have this done.

tip: do not listen to people outside telling you what to do. if you have a question, ask the guards or any SLEC employee.

returned to the guards and gave them the photocopies. told the guard i was a K1 applicant.

he gave me the personal data sheet form to fill up, gave me a priority number and stamped my hand with the SLEC seal.

filled up the forms.

tip: black ballpen. dont forget!

went up to the reception, had my picture taken for SLEC security purposes.

SLEC people checked my papers. then told go to pay the fee. it was 10, 454.50. might change day to day.

tip: bring pesos. dollars not accepted.

then off to the xray department. handed over the forms. waited for my name to be called. xray done.

next was the blood test.

gave my papers to SLEC people. they had me sign a waiver and wait to be called in for a blood test.

next step was the vital signs. the longest of all procedures.

tip: since this one takes a long time in between, its a good time to grab a bite. if you have food, eat. but dont let the guards catch you. if you have to leave the premises, ask the people in the counter if you have time to run out and get lunch or brunch. i brought a sandwich with me but had to duck when the guard drops by. i didnt want to go out and miss my name being called. oh and bring a bottle of water!

so my name was called for height and weight records.

another long wait, then eye exam.

another very long wait, vital signs.

another horrible long wait, time for physical exam where you have to disrobe completely for a doctor to examine you.

once approved, i moved on to the immunization area. was interviewed for the vaccinations i had done.

tip: bring your records if you have one. if not, get a note from your doctor. if they ask you if you want your extra immunizations at SLEC or in the US, always say you want SLEC to provide them because that is included with the fee. you paid for those immunizations. and its probably gonna be really expensive if you get them in the US.

i was told to come back the next day for my immunization vaccines and for releasing. time check: 4:30pm.

december 16, 2008

as written on the forms, 1:30pm appointment at the immunization area. went to the counter and gave them my forms.

a long wait again for my name to be called. very long wait. im talking 2 - 3 hours of waiting.

tip: again, bring snacks. i had cookies to discreetly munch on. and a bottle of water to keep me sane from the dreadful long wait.

named called. immunizations done. i had three shots. ouch.

was told to go to ground floor for releasing. so i passed!

waited again for my name, which again took a long time. went up to the counter when called, listened to last few instructions left. and was told all my papers will be forwarded to the embassy in preparation for my interview.

mission accomplished. time check: 5pm.

last few tips:

always ask guards what the heck is going on. if you ask the person next to you, chances are he or she is applying for new zealand, australia or canada. or might be as clueless as you. or maybe a US applicant but in another category. if you must, ask the people you think are on the same file. like ask a fellow k1 applicant so you would not be so lost after all.

bring extra 2x2 pics. i left mine at the hotel on the second day and they asked for it at the releasing counter. luckily, the told me i could bring them to the embassy and submit the photos there.

have an extra photocopy of the appointment letter for them at the releasing counter. this i forgot. but then again, i was told to i could submit them at the day of my interview at the USEM.

bring a coat. the airconditioning could be very cold at some floors.

bring water.

bring snacks.

i would suggest not to bring a book or an ipod or anything. cos you have to attentively listen for your name. and SLEC's paging system isnt the best. you might miss your name called while listening to music or reading an interesting book. just stay awake.

tell the truth. some applicants lied about things - example... last time one had sex. that can be determined at the physical exam. and frankly, why lie? but i dunno. one applicant was told to come back after a month when the doctor found out she had sexual contact that day.

do not go to SLEC if you have your period.

recall the latest date you had your menstrual cycle. if you dont remember, make a really good guess. dont make it up though, they will still know in a way.

wear comfortable clothes. do not wear heels. you have to run up and down the stairs.

do not bring your fiance to SLEC. well you can, but they cant go inside. no one can go in, only applicants. so ask your mom, friend, fiance or family, etc to wait for you at the hotel or at the mall or somewhere else. but not along the humid and dusty streets outside SLEC. remember, its a whole day wait. make that two days.

on a scale of one to ten. ten being the highest. it was a 7 for me.

the waiting was terrible, but once youre called, they get on it right away.

theyre clean. they know what theyre doing.

place is packed always but chairs are sufficient enough to let everyone sit.

SLEC people are not so nice really. some look strict or mean. but for the benefit of the doubt, tired with probably over 100 applicants a day, i wouldnt be the friendliest too.

i guess thats it. im glad i passed.

hope this experience can at least guide you all.

good luck!!!

"so ask your mom, friend, fiance or family, etc to wait for you at the hotel or at the mall or somewhere else. but not along the humid and dusty streets outside SLEC. remember, its a whole day wait. make that two days.""

They allowed my wifes sister in with her to help with our anak. Also my wife talked with me thruout the examination on her CP.

yes of course you can bring along a family member or any guardian inside to assist you if needed. this applies to geriatrics, senior citizens, disabled, or minors, etc. there were a lot inside and applicants of different countries too.

i was only referring to the K1 medical process. i dont know about the rest - petitioned parents, chilldren, returning citizens, etc.

as long as you can handle everything, then there will be no need for extra company.

if assistance is necessary, the guards will let one in.

THE JOURNEY

03-31-08 - FILED for K1

04-16-08 - NOA1

06-11-08 - RFE on uscis website

08-12-08 - fiance started calling uscis every week cos he never got the RFE in the mail, requested for a new one

08-13-08 - touched

09-19-08 - touched

09-24-08 - touched

10-15-08 - new RFE finally in the mail (after hundreds of calls to uscis)

10-28-08 - fiance sent back RFE documents

10-31-08 - touched

11-04-08 - RFE reply recieved

11-05-08 - touched

11-10-08 - APPROVED (on uscis website)

11-11-08 - touched

11-13-08 - touched

11-17-08 - NOA2

11-24-08 - consulate received

12-15-08 - day 1 medical exam at SLEC

12-16-08 - day 2 medical exam results released

01-07-09 - INTERVIEW APPROVED

01-16-09 - visa received

02-12-09 - CFO

03-15-09 - FLIGHT

06-11-09 - wedding

07-10-09 - AOS

08-21-09 - biometrics

09-23-09 - repeat biometrics (argh!)

Timeline
i had done my medical yesterday too! dec. 18. 2008. thats the first day. but they told us to be back on dec. 22 for the immunization and releasing. i arrived in SLEC at 5am fill up the forms. i was # 18 on the line and SLEC operation time is 6am. your number will be called and you will give the form you fill up together with your passport, 2x2 pic, and the case number and confirmation letter/email, and the approval letter. sad to say i dont have approval letter because we just called USEM for appointment. and they set us appointment without approval letter.. the girl on the reception are so mean!!! :angry: she almost shouted at me. because i reason out that the USEM allow us to set appointment. anyway it is not really a problem because the reason they asked about he approval letter is to make sure that your case number is really true. because some applicants are not sure about their case number. so i got really irritated at the attitude of the receptionist and i called my fiance to call the USEM on what the heck is that approval letter all about. and the USEM said it is not necessary!! they said if you dont have approval letter just show a print out visa appointment online. show it to them on the releasing day.

thanks to prettyflower for giving me info on what to expect when i get there. it is really helpful.

i did bring food to munch on. but didnt get the chance to eat because i was busy talking to the fellow K1 girls. hehehe .. its good that you meet and talked poeple there to ease the nervous. just have fun but be alert coz your name will be called.

im ready for my second day on SLEC!

:dance:

good luck on your second day.

so nice to have someone with the same day of interview. see you at the embassy!

take care and merry christmas princess!!!

THE JOURNEY

03-31-08 - FILED for K1

04-16-08 - NOA1

08-12-08 - fiance started calling uscis every week cos he never got the RFE in the mail, requested for a new one

08-13-08 - touched

09-19-08 - touched

09-24-08 - touched

10-31-08 - touched

11-05-08 - touched

11-11-08 - touched

11-13-08 - touched

11-17-08 - NOA2

01-16-09 - visa received

02-12-09 - CFO

03-15-09 - FLIGHT

06-11-09 - wedding

07-10-09 - AOS

08-21-09 - biometrics

Timeline
i had done my medical yesterday too! dec. 18. 2008. thats the first day. but they told us to be back on dec. 22 for the immunization and releasing. i arrived in SLEC at 5am fill up the forms. i was # 18 on the line and SLEC operation time is 6am. your number will be called and you will give the form you fill up together with your passport, 2x2 pic, and the case number and confirmation letter/email, and the approval letter. sad to say i dont have approval letter because we just called USEM for appointment. and they set us appointment without approval letter.. the girl on the reception are so mean!!! :angry: she almost shouted at me. because i reason out that the USEM allow us to set appointment. anyway it is not really a problem because the reason they asked about he approval letter is to make sure that your case number is really true. because some applicants are not sure about their case number. so i got really irritated at the attitude of the receptionist and i called my fiance to call the USEM on what the heck is that approval letter all about. and the USEM said it is not necessary!! they said if you dont have approval letter just show a print out visa appointment online. show it to them on the releasing day.

thanks to prettyflower for giving me info on what to expect when i get there. it is really helpful.

i did bring food to munch on. but didnt get the chance to eat because i was busy talking to the fellow K1 girls. hehehe .. its good that you meet and talked poeple there to ease the nervous. just have fun but be alert coz your name will be called.

merry christmas too!

so the doctor asked you about when did you have your last sex and examine you #######?

the doctor assigned to me didnt asked that. just examine my breast abdomen and she let me lay side way then just look at my butt then done. she ask alot of question actually basic questions like if you had drugs, tatto, do you smoke, if i had been pregnant, but didnt asked when did i had sex. well maybe because i went there a day after my last period. hhehehe. most of the girls who is with me just had their last period also.but the doctor assigned to them examine/watch their #######. so it depends on the doctor? :blush:

Timeline

merry christmas too!

so the doctor asked you about when did you have your last sex and examine you #######?

the doctor assigned to me didnt asked that. just examine my breast abdomen and she let me lay side way then just look at my butt then done. she ask alot of question actually basic questions like if you had drugs, tatto, do you smoke, if i had been pregnant, but didnt asked when did i had sex. well maybe because i went there a day after my last period. hhehehe. most of the girls who is with me just had their last period also.but the doctor assigned to them examine/watch their #######. so it depends on the doctor? :blush:

yes it very much depends on the doctor.

like i said, the doc i was assigned to was not the nicest. very unfriendly. and asked tons of questions.

she asked me about the scar i had on my leg. told her i got it from scuba diving. and some from wallclimbing.

then more questions.

the other doctor from the cubicle beside us was pretty fast and nice i heard.

so it depends!

THE JOURNEY

03-31-08 - FILED for K1

04-16-08 - NOA1

08-13-08 - touched

09-19-08 - touched

09-24-08 - touched

10-31-08 - touched

11-05-08 - touched

11-11-08 - touched

11-13-08 - touched

11-17-08 - NOA2

01-16-09 - visa received

02-12-09 - CFO

03-15-09 - FLIGHT

06-11-09 - wedding

07-10-09 - AOS

08-21-09 - biometrics

Timeline
here's my very own experience at st. luke's extension clinic aka SLEC.

december 15, 2008

arrived at SLEC at 7am. guards checked my NVC letter, appointment letter and passport. told me to have the NVC letter and appointment letter photocopied. went across the street to have this done.

tip: do not listen to people outside telling you what to do. if you have a question, ask the guards or any SLEC employee.

returned to the guards and gave them the photocopies. told the guard i was a K1 applicant.

he gave me the personal data sheet form to fill up, gave me a priority number and stamped my hand with the SLEC seal.

filled up the forms.

tip: black ballpen. dont forget!

went up to the reception, had my picture taken for SLEC security purposes.

SLEC people checked my papers. then told go to pay the fee. it was 10, 454.50. might change day to day.

tip: bring pesos. dollars not accepted.

then off to the xray department. handed over the forms. waited for my name to be called. xray done.

next was the blood test.

gave my papers to SLEC people. they had me sign a waiver and wait to be called in for a blood test.

next step was the vital signs. the longest of all procedures.

tip: since this one takes a long time in between, its a good time to grab a bite. if you have food, eat. but dont let the guards catch you. if you have to leave the premises, ask the people in the counter if you have time to run out and get lunch or brunch. i brought a sandwich with me but had to duck when the guard drops by. i didnt want to go out and miss my name being called. oh and bring a bottle of water!

so my name was called for height and weight records.

another long wait, then eye exam.

another very long wait, vital signs.

another horrible long wait, time for physical exam where you have to disrobe completely for a doctor to examine you.

once approved, i moved on to the immunization area. was interviewed for the vaccinations i had done.

tip: bring your records if you have one. if not, get a note from your doctor. if they ask you if you want your extra immunizations at SLEC or in the US, always say you want SLEC to provide them because that is included with the fee. you paid for those immunizations. and its probably gonna be really expensive if you get them in the US.

i was told to come back the next day for my immunization vaccines and for releasing. time check: 4:30pm.

december 16, 2008

as written on the forms, 1:30pm appointment at the immunization area. went to the counter and gave them my forms.

a long wait again for my name to be called. very long wait. im talking 2 - 3 hours of waiting.

tip: again, bring snacks. i had cookies to discreetly munch on. and a bottle of water to keep me sane from the dreadful long wait.

named called. immunizations done. i had three shots. ouch.

was told to go to ground floor for releasing. so i passed!

waited again for my name, which again took a long time. went up to the counter when called, listened to last few instructions left. and was told all my papers will be forwarded to the embassy in preparation for my interview.

mission accomplished. time check: 5pm.

last few tips:

always ask guards what the heck is going on. if you ask the person next to you, chances are he or she is applying for new zealand, australia or canada. or might be as clueless as you. or maybe a US applicant but in another category. if you must, ask the people you think are on the same file. like ask a fellow k1 applicant so you would not be so lost after all.

bring extra 2x2 pics. i left mine at the hotel on the second day and they asked for it at the releasing counter. luckily, the told me i could bring them to the embassy and submit the photos there.

have an extra photocopy of the appointment letter for them at the releasing counter. this i forgot. but then again, i was told to i could submit them at the day of my interview at the USEM.

bring a coat. the airconditioning could be very cold at some floors.

bring water.

bring snacks.

i would suggest not to bring a book or an ipod or anything. cos you have to attentively listen for your name. and SLEC's paging system isnt the best. you might miss your name called while listening to music or reading an interesting book. just stay awake.

tell the truth. some applicants lied about things - example... last time one had sex. that can be determined at the physical exam. and frankly, why lie? but i dunno. one applicant was told to come back after a month when the doctor found out she had sexual contact that day.

do not go to SLEC if you have your period.

recall the latest date you had your menstrual cycle. if you dont remember, make a really good guess. dont make it up though, they will still know in a way.

wear comfortable clothes. do not wear heels. you have to run up and down the stairs.

do not bring your fiance to SLEC. well you can, but they cant go inside. no one can go in, only applicants. so ask your mom, friend, fiance or family, etc to wait for you at the hotel or at the mall or somewhere else. but not along the humid and dusty streets outside SLEC. remember, its a whole day wait. make that two days.

on a scale of one to ten. ten being the highest. it was a 7 for me.

the waiting was terrible, but once youre called, they get on it right away.

theyre clean. they know what theyre doing.

place is packed always but chairs are sufficient enough to let everyone sit.

SLEC people are not so nice really. some look strict or mean. but for the benefit of the doubt, tired with probably over 100 applicants a day, i wouldnt be the friendliest too.

i guess thats it. im glad i passed.

hope this experience can at least guide you all.

good luck!!!

Hi, thanks for posting your medical experience, I am happy for you,, For me I am just waiting now for the USEm Letter and then we call to have my medical and interview by January of 2009.

Thanks be to God.

Can i ask how did it go with the vital signs examination, and the Physical Exam. what do they ask? what are thier concern about it? thanks a lot..

this was the long wait of day 1 for me.

first they get your height and weight.

then you wait again. felt like an hour.

then the eye exam. nothing really scary. they let you read those optometric charts and take note of those readings. i wear reading glasses so i had to read it twice - with and without glasses.

then another painful long wait.

now the vital signs. they only took the pulse rate and blood pressure. nothing too scary.

now the longest wait from all procedures that day... the physical exam.

you go in the doctors cubicle. undress. grab a robe. lie down. they check for breast lumps. check your lower abdomen. any scars on your skin. or tattoos. i have a huge scar from scuba diving and i had to explain that.

they let you get on the fetal position. they check your vaginal and ####### area for any lacerations, marks, lesions, etc.

i was told that thru this they could tell if one had an abortion, a miscarriage, given birth, etc. also if you had any sexually transmitted diseases.

those who had sexual contact that day were told to come back a month after. and do the whole medical exam again.

the doctor asked questions like what my hobbies were, what i do for a living, how long have i been working. if i smoke, if i did drugs. things like that. lifestyle check.

nothing to be tense about.

they were just not friendly as your average doctor but as long as its all done. didnt care much if they were nice though.

told you they were mean. but let them be.

the important thing is to have the medical exam done and over with.

good luck on the second day!

LOL oh yeah they are mean. Experience-wise, the doctors are not as mean as the receptionists. One of them actually yelled at me, I yelled back. I didnt pay them almost 11,000 Php only to be yelled at, I mean what happened to Good Ole Customer Service?

K1

California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : APRIL 26, 2008

I-129F NOA1 : MAY 1, 2008

Touched : MAY 14, 2008

Touched : SEP 9, 2008

I-129F NOA2 : SEP 9, 2008

Medical: Nov7 and Nov10 PASSED!

Interview Date : NOV 17, 2008 Pink Slip!!!

Visa Received : NOV 22, 2008

US Entry : NOV 24, 2008 POE: GUAM

Marriage : January 8, 2009

Comments : I AM LOVING COLORADO!!!

AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

AOS Packet Sent: Feb 21, 2009

NOA1 Received in the mail: Mar 2, 2009

Biometrics appointment letter received: Mar 9, 2009

Biometrics: Mar 25, 2009

Advance Parole Approved: Apr 29, 2009

EAD Approval Date: May 6, 2009

Advance Parole received in the mail: May 7, 2009

Interview: July 20, 2009 APPROVED

Card Production Ordered: July 21, 2009

Welcome to America Letter Received: July 27, 2009

fortcollins5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Just finished my day 1 of medical at SLMCEC last Jan 7. My second day is on Jan 12 since my interview is still on Jan 22 (according to the checkout counter lady). Anyway, luckily I did not meet any rude people in SLMCEC. I just had to wait for the vaccination interview and physical exam for a long long time. I arrived at the clinic at 730 am and finished at 1230 pm. Not bad eh? Anyway, I do hope that my x-ray and blood tests are negative. Will still have to undergo vaccination for DPT and MMR.

Best regards,

Ynatots

IR-1 Visa

Marriage : 2006-07-16 (after 8 years of bf/gf relationship)

I-130 Sent : 2007-01 (forgot the exact date)

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-03-07

Upgrade notification thru mail sent: 2008-09-12

LUD: 2008-09-19

Upgrade notification thru phone: 2008-09-19

LUD: 2008-09-22

LUD: 2008-09-23

I-130 NOA2: 2008-09-25 (after 6 days of notification through phone)

National Visa Center

NVC received case (case number assigned): 2008-09-30

(Hubby in the US) received AOS bill and DS-3032: 2008-10-10

(Hubby in the US) paid AOS bill: 2008-10-10

AOS paid: 2008-10-15

DS-3032 received (email notification): 2008-10-15

IV Bill generated: 2008-10-15

IV Bill paid: 2008-10-17

IV Bill shows paid in the site: 2008-10-21

AOS and IV mailed to NVC: 2008-10-22

Received AOS and IV by NVC (by a certain Pearse): 2008-10-27

RFE on I-864: 2008-11-04

Case Complete at NVC: 2008-11-18

US Embassy

Medical Exam: 2008-01-07

Interview date: 2009-01-22...passed!!!

Receipt of Visa/Passport: 2009-01-24

POE: 2009-02-14 LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.