mox

Superstitions

124 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
If you haven't taken Vika to the doctor yet, you're in for a treat! Nothing like explaining how co-pays and office visit fees, prescriptions, etc. work and then hearing her say, "American doctors so stupid."

Yep. Nothing like spending several hundred bucks on "nothing."

In my town I found a woman Russian doctor. So, I am hoping that will ease the pain of trying to explain Western medicine compared to Voodoo.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be worse. Vike eats lemons (skin and all) when she feels bad. But she believes antibiotics will just make her more sick.

Sveta does it too. Helps with her sore throat. How? I don't know, I guess the influx of vitamin C. Although she makes the cutest face when she eats the lemon.

Vika says that her stomach "needs sour from lemon". I don't get it either.

If you haven't taken Vika to the doctor yet, you're in for a treat! Nothing like explaining how co-pays and office visit fees, prescriptions, etc. work and then hearing her say, "American doctors so stupid."

In my town I found a woman Russian doctor. So, I am hoping that will ease the pain of trying to explain Western medicine compared to Voodoo.

We found a Russian female MD here too. Apparently most of her practice is women from Eastern Europe. Pretty good deal, as my Russian vocabulary doesn't even come close to helping. There is also a Russian accountant, and several Russian bankers, all of whom have the same FSU niche. I can't turn a doorknob without hearing about some Russian guy who paints, mows, fixes, or installs for less than licensed and bonded American companies. :lol:

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

We found one here and I thought all was saved..... til she didn't know what she was talking about either. She'd "been in America too long."

The search for a doctor who knows what they're doing continues. My wife's actually holding out for a trip home so she can receive "proper" medical care.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline
We found one here and I thought all was saved..... til she didn't know what she was talking about either. She'd "been in America too long."

The search for a doctor who knows what they're doing continues. My wife's actually holding out for a trip home so she can receive "proper" medical care.

So the doctor stopped practicing voodoo and used modern medical equipment to preform the medical tests? Ya that doctor is a quack!

The one I got yesterday was that her friend Julia is going back to Russia next week. So she wanted to know if Julia could buy medicine in Russia, and then if she could bring the medicines to USA. I was so tempted to say no, but technically its legal. The stuff you can buy at a pharmacy without a prescription in Russia is amazing.

That whole prescription thing in the U.S. is baffling. Even for me.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 1 month later...
:ot2: I was told (again) yesterday to spit three times over my left shoulder - where the bad angel sits - to ward off bad luck when I say something positive. I had the spitting down, but not the backstory.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

That's more like it!

I didn't know the bad angel was on the left. Hmm.

My wife is the bad angel!

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife gets after me for whistling in the house as well. (It will make me lose money!) Unfortunately, with our recent stock market action, I don't have quite as much ammunition to dispute this one as I used to. :whistle:

Here's another one that happened over the weekend. We were watching a movie and I had my legs propped up. She wouldn't cross over them and walked way around the room instead. I realized it was "one of those things" and asked her what the reason was. She said it would stunt my growth. (I'm 6'4"!) After pointing out that people stepped over me my whole life, she agreed it was maybe a little silly, but still refused to do it because it still made her feel better.

In a shocking reversal of former policy, she has finally started taking ice in her drinks on occasion when it's really hot outside. I never thought I'd see the day!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The day I left VVO, Katya bought me an Orange Fanta from a vending machine; and it was chilled. She prohibited me from drinking it until it was warmed up. I was battling a bad could and cough at the time; so it made a bit of sense. But it still makes me giggle in hindsight.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

We do a bit of warming up the drinks too. It is pretty typical to find some beverage taken from the fridge and left on the counter to warm up for health.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Here's some of the one's I've run into:

1. Whistling in the house - I can see the babushka's huddling together to come up with that one. Whistling husbands are definitely irritating, in or out of doors - so says my mom (from England)

2. When a fork or knife is dropped on the floor you can't just pick it up, you first have to put your foot on it, then pick it up. This can pose problems if it's a knife on the floor (we're not allowed to wear shoes in the home, remember!)

3. Don't give a watch as a present

4. Black cats are bad luck, unless she is moving into a new apartment, at which point, black cats are supposed to be the first into the new apartment to chase away evil spirits - go figure

5. Rocks - to those who have their FSU brides in the US, look around the house for strategically placed rocks.

6. Empty bottles on the floor - this way you are not reminded how much home vodka you've imbibed, good rule.

7. Never wish someone a happy birthday unless you know for a fact it is thier birthday - otherwise the result is DEATH

8. Ladders and mirrors have the same misfortunes associated with them as they do in the US.

9. Do not reach through a doorway, car window, or any threshold to hand something to her - she won't like it, even if it's a bunch of flowers (odd number of course).

10.Give up the idea of carrying your new bride over the threshold, it's not going to happen.

11.If you're in a new home, the first thing you do (after placing a rock at one of the outside corners) is break a plate or bowl, put the pieces in a plastic bad and hide under the sink - go figure.

12.I've heard of the money in the wallet requirement, I think that's just a universal means of prying more cash out of the hubby.

13.Definitely sit quietly holding hands for a few minutes before going on any trip - it insures a safe return.

14.On New Years eve, hold a dollar up to the moon at midnight, then save the dollar in a special place, it helps create riches for the upcoming year (you'll have one dollar at least)

15.At New Years, write your wishes on a small piece of paper, then light the paper at midnight (make sure you're not lighting the dollar you just held up to the moon) letting the ashes drop into your glass of champagne - then drink it all down. Tastes like #######, so just make it a bubbly shooter and pour a quick refill.

16. I just thought the future MIL was spitting at me because she didn't like me :P I have to remember to stand over her other shoulder.

These are just a few of what I've run into. I know there are more to come......

Timeline
Natasha tells me it is considered improper to give a watch as a gift, particularly to someone you care about, as this indicates a separation is impending. Of course, you don't whistle inside a home or this invites financial ruin. I've also been told that fashion (particularly for women) trumps all, so no how uncomfortable those tall spiky heeled shoes are you walk as though on clouds and then soak your feet in the privacy of your home. Not really a superstition, I suppose, but there you have it.

That explains why my whistling show tunes during my birthday party with Viktoria's family drew so many horrified looks :lol: I thought I was just off key, but then I thought "how would they know if All That Jazz was off key or not?". Seriously, no show tunes, but I did whistle while walking up the stairs and got some strange looks.

Brad...you were whistling show tunes. They think you are GAY!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
The day I left VVO, Katya bought me an Orange Fanta from a vending machine; and it was chilled. She prohibited me from drinking it until it was warmed up. I was battling a bad could and cough at the time; so it made a bit of sense. But it still makes me giggle in hindsight.

I did some minor repairs at another Russian woman's home the other night. She gave me a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia...my favorite ice cream! I said "Oh thank you Svetlana, I will have this for dinner!" Horrors! "NO!, you cannot eat all that at one time!" Joking Svetlana, just joking

She called my wife that evening to see if I had eaten "all that ice cream" because if I did I would get a throat infection. Alla told her not too worry, she wouldn't let me eat all that, she doesn't want me to get sick! :lol:

the rocks are interesting. We DO have a lot of rocks placed around the house, I thought they were just pretty rocks Alla found at the lake. Hmmmm. I have a stone with a hole in it on a leather string around my neck which I found at the Sea of Azov, Alla says it is good luck.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
the rocks are interesting. We DO have a lot of rocks placed around the house, I thought they were just pretty rocks Alla found at the lake. Hmmmm. I have a stone with a hole in it on a leather string around my neck which I found at the Sea of Azov, Alla says it is good luck.

Now that you guys are mentioning this, I have to say Anna adorned my bathroom with rocks when she was here. Nothing like having good luck in the latrine I guess. :lol:

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.