karma08

How long does it take to get a police report in Colombia?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've read that the police report is good for 3 months. Should it be applied for just prior to getting the NOA2 or afterwards? Anyone knows how long does it take to get one in Colombia and what type of paper work is needed or do you just walk in the ploice station and submit the request yourself? Much appreciated!

Pura Vida

Timeline
I've read that the police report is good for 3 months. Should it be applied for just prior to getting the NOA2 or afterwards? Anyone knows how long does it take to get one in Colombia and what type of paper work is needed or do you just walk in the ploice station and submit the request yourself? Much appreciated!

I asked my fiance and is good for a year.

Timeline

I asked my fiance and is good for a year.

Thanks

Pura Vida

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You will also need the Migratory Movement letter (Carta Migratoria) from the DAS. I believe you can no longer get it in any other city outside of Bogotá. You can still file for one and then pick it up in Bogotá though. Make sure you also have this as this is one of the extra documents the embassy will require you to bring with you the day of the interview.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
You will also need the Migratory Movement letter (Carta Migratoria) from the DAS. I believe you can no longer get it in any other city outside of Bogotá. You can still file for one and then pick it up in Bogotá though. Make sure you also have this as this is one of the extra documents the embassy will require you to bring with you the day of the interview.

Diana

Hello Diana,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a cherry when it come to this, so I have a few questions? What's the DAS? Is the Migratory letter relate to taking kids out of the country? I assume you file the Carta Migratoria as you stated and can pick it up in Bogota but how long is it put on hold for you? Do you just walk into a police station and iniate the police report? I plan on going to Colombia in January (to explain the process prior to receive the noa2) and I'd like to move things in the right direction as less painfully as possible. Much appreciation!

Pura Vida

Timeline

DAS stands for Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad, which is Colombia's national security agency and they take care of both, the police certificate(Certificado Judicial) and the Migratory Movement letter (Carta Migratoria). Your fiancé can call her local DAS office to get more info on how to get both documents. She will need the Carta Migratoria because the embassy needs to see all her entries and exits from Colombia even if it's blank. When she files to get the Carta Migratoria, she has 5 days to pick it up in Bogotá, so she can pick it up the same week she has her interview at the embassy. It will be sealed and she cannot open it, only the embassy is allowed to do so.

Also, the Certificado Judicial does not need to be apostilled, only people going to Spain need that extra seal.

You can both go to http://www.das.gov.co/ to get more information. Click on the Servicios tab and then on Certificado Judicial to get more information.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline
DAS stands for Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad, which is Colombia's national security agency and they take care of both, the police certificate(Certificado Judicial) and the Migratory Movement letter (Carta Migratoria). Your fiancé can call her local DAS office to get more info on how to get both documents. She will need the Carta Migratoria because the embassy needs to see all her entries and exits from Colombia even if it's blank. When she files to get the Carta Migratoria, she has 5 days to pick it up in Bogotá, so she can pick it up the same week she has her interview at the embassy. It will be sealed and she cannot open it, only the embassy is allowed to do so.

Also, the Certificado Judicial does not need to be apostilled, only people going to Spain need that extra seal.

You can both go to http://www.das.gov.co/ to get more information. Click on the Servicios tab and then on Certificado Judicial to get more information.

Diana

Much appreciated!

Pura Vida

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Am I reading this right. Now my wife needs a "Carta Migratoria" as well as the certificado juducial. And she needs to go to Bogota. AAARRRGGGHHH. Mucho mas dinero. Need time to breath. I flew her to Medellin so she can see her parents and while there might as well get her police clearence so when she returns to Costa Rica in a couple of days all is taken care of as she is not intending to go back to Colombia until after the VISA process is over and we have a few more bucks. Or so I thought. Now she'll have to fly to Bogata for this Carta Migratoria at a later date. It's not gonna be easy breaking this to her. Can they mail it to Costa Rica?

Timeline

I don't think they can just mail it she can run that errand the same week of her appointment at the embassy. She has to go to Bogotá a few days in advance anyway to take care of her lab work and medical, might as well use that time to file and pick up her Carta Migratoria from the DAS. When done in Bogotá she can file for it and pick it up 2-3 days later.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

The thing is, she doesn't live in Colombia anymore. She's a Costa Rica resident, with a Colombian passport and everything is being taken care of at the consulate in Costa Rica. The way I'm starting to see it now is every Colombian must go to Bogata even if they are aplying from a different country. Never heard of this other docunent until now as I don't see it on the list of requirements. Looks like another 1000 + dollars for a trip to Bogata for a day----from Costa Rica. This sucks!!! She's deffinatly not going to like that as she hates Bogata. Been there once in her life..

Timeline

Well the Carta Migratoria is to show all exits and entrances to and from Colombia, not Costa Rica. I don't see why she would need this document if she is living in Costa Rica and going to the US embassy there. She will most likely need it from the Costa Rican goverment however.

The best thing to do is to either contact the embassy first to see what they say and/or wait for them to send her packet 4 with the list of documents she will need to bring in that day. She will definitely need her Certificado Judicial though.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Thanks! She just got her certificado judicial (2 copy's, one for interview and one for AOS). I believe she said they are good for 1 year. And we had 2 certified copy's of her birth cirtificate which they said were good for 3 years. Just wanted to see what was needed while she was visiting her parents in Colombia to save time later. As she is returning to C.R. in a few days we'll be able to collect the info relevent to C.R.in the next month or two. Trying to collect all docs ahead of time so it will a be ready to send in when that time comes. Thanks again.

Timeline

She won't need her Certificado Judicial for her AOS, only a copy of her birth certificate with a translation. No apostille needed.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.