junglejao

Traveling abroad right after AOS interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

We received the letter with the date for our AOS interview a few days ago. As my husband was scheduled to be away during that time, we changed his plane ticket so we would not miss or have to try to reschedule the interview. He will now be leaving 2 days after the interview, and will be traveling to Peru for 6 weeks to visit his son and family.

Included under the list of things we need to bring to the interview are his Advance Parole documents, which have not yet been used. I'm guessing they are going to reclaim these as he should be able to travel once he receives his green card. But I am now very concerned about the fact that he is going to be leaving the country without proper documentation to reenter. Statistically speaking, the card should come in the mail while he is away (assuming we are approved, which I'm not too worried about), and I should be able to mail it to him in Peru (though that definitely scares me). Does anyone have any insight on this? It's kind of screwy because they give you AP documents to travel before you get your green card, but you are left in limbo and actually have nothing between the interview and the arrival of the green card.

Should we be worried about this? Does anyone think it would be worth it to request to have the card issued at the embassy in Lima? I'm nervous to start changing the process as I'm afraid it will only invite complication and possible delays. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

If you are approved immediately, you can ask them to stamp his passport with an I-551 stamp, which acts as a temporary green card valid for a year. At our interview, the officer stamped my passport (without us even asking) and joked about how I could leave the US that same day with just the stamp to re-enter. I don't know what happens if you are approved but pending further checks. I wouldn't like the idea of mailing the GC to Peru either!

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We received the letter with the date for our AOS interview a few days ago. As my husband was scheduled to be away during that time, we changed his plane ticket so we would not miss or have to try to reschedule the interview. He will now be leaving 2 days after the interview, and will be traveling to Peru for 6 weeks to visit his son and family.

Included under the list of things we need to bring to the interview are his Advance Parole documents, which have not yet been used. I'm guessing they are going to reclaim these as he should be able to travel once he receives his green card. But I am now very concerned about the fact that he is going to be leaving the country without proper documentation to reenter. Statistically speaking, the card should come in the mail while he is away (assuming we are approved, which I'm not too worried about), and I should be able to mail it to him in Peru (though that definitely scares me). Does anyone have any insight on this? It's kind of screwy because they give you AP documents to travel before you get your green card, but you are left in limbo and actually have nothing between the interview and the arrival of the green card.

Should we be worried about this? Does anyone think it would be worth it to request to have the card issued at the embassy in Lima? I'm nervous to start changing the process as I'm afraid it will only invite complication and possible delays. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are approved at his interview ask for the I-551 stamp in his passport, make sure you take evidence of his impending travel. The I-551 stamp is good for international travel and work so he will have no issues re-entering the US.

If you are not approved at the interview because of pending checks or for whatever reason the interviewing officer will not take his AP so he will still be able to use this to travel.

The Greencard can not be issued from a Embassy abroad. It will be mailed to his home address.

Just make sure you let the interviewing officer know he is traveling to Peru.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

i wouldnt worry to much!

just explain ur situation to the offices and im sure they wil stamp his passport !

no sending greencards to peru =)

how long is he going for?

is he excited!?

u are nto going???

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.