Techbrarian

RFE Military Records???

8 posts in this topic

So I just got an RFE in the mail saying that they need my husband's military records:

The fun thing about this is that I had Metodi attempt to get this document and the office in Pazardzhik, Bulgaria said that they can't let this document out of the country nor do they have a print-off that they can make to send in lieu of the actual document. Then again, my friend Mitzi who just went through the same thing went to the office in Plovdiv, Bulgaria and they printed them off a half sheet of paper with basic info about when Dimitar (her hubby) had been in the army and dates and such...

So I called the NVC in my normal immigration panic where I am half sobbing...I'm not so good with this kind of stress. Anyway I told the girl that the Bulgaria Reciprocity Schedule which is a online resource from the state department that you all probably know about, says this about Military Records from Bulgaria:

"Military Records

Unavailable. The military booklet (voenna knishka) issued to every person who has completed military service may not be sent or taken out of the country. The bearer of such a booklet must surrender it upon application for a passport. No other military records are issued." http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3523.html

I also mentioned that my husband had tried in vain to get some sort of documentation of his military service despite what the reciprocity schedule said and was still denied. She put me on hold and came back saying that yes I was correct, that it does say that military documents are unavailable and that she'd have a supervisor review our case with this information. AND to call them back in 15 days?????? Argh. I asked if she was sure that I would not have to attempt to get some sort of documentation and she said to just call back in 15 days. So I have no clue, again.

I'm really annoyed because if this was not a problem the fact that they had looked at our documents means that they likely would have been sending them to the Embassy soon for Metodi's interview to take place. And it would have possibly worked out for Christmas. I'm also annoyed because IF they do decide I still need the documents that is going to take a lot more time, because we will be waiting for 15 days and then find out, then Metodi will have to travel and find a way to get them, then he will have to send them to me, then I will have to send them to the NVC...then they will have to get to them. But hell, he already tried and they wouldn't give him the damn things so why would it be different this time??? I'm just irritated and angry.

Sigh. Back to work and trying not to cry in frustration. Wish us luck and good hearted NVC workers!

<3 Samantha + Metodi

Met online May 2006

Sam arrives in Sofia: December 08, 2007 (first kiss)

Married: December 21, 2007

Sam returns to US to continue grad school: January 08, 2008

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

Sent off I-130 February 04, 2008, arrived and signed for February 5, 2008

NOA1 2/20/2008

Sam flys to Bulgaria again, this time to spend 2 months with Metodi 5/01/08 - 6/28/08

Case trasferred to CSC for processing 8/26/08

CASE APPROVED at CSC!!! 9/16/2008

NVC SLIGHTLY LESS HELLISH JOURNEY (BUT ONLY SLIGHTLY)

Paid I-864 fee online, Paid evil IV fee thingie

Metodi sends DSwhatever email making Sam AGENT007

ALL the DS230 and I-864 Docs are in hand, in order, and were mailed 11/5/2008!

I-864 and DS-230 packets delivered: 10:45 AM 11/06/08. Signed for by R AUSTIN.

RFE received in mail for Military Records (that cannot leave the country of Bulgaria!) 11/20/08

NVC finally figures out that their RFE was a mistake and CASE COMPLETE AT NVC 12/08/08

EMBASSY

Sam flew to Bulgaria for Metodi's interview. 01/23/09

Metodi Approved at Embassy in Sofia, Bulgaria 01/26/09

Metodi Received VISA and other documents 01/28/09

Metodi lands in USA, POE: Charlotte, NC 01/31/09

Metodi receives Green Card 02/23/09

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Package delivered Nov 04, 2010 SAINT ALBANS, VT to INS . Signed for by D RENAUD.

Nov 10, 2010 - USCIS cashed our check finally: AUTOMATED CHECK VSC FIELD OFFICE PAYMENT 1102 $545.00

NOA Received Nov 12 - Receipt Date on NOA - 11/05/10

Biometrics - 12/08/10 Charleston, WV Field Office

10yr Permanent Resident Card Issued - 3/18/11

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
So I just got an RFE in the mail saying that they need my husband's military records:

The fun thing about this is that I had Metodi attempt to get this document and the office in Pazardzhik, Bulgaria said that they can't let this document out of the country nor do they have a print-off that they can make to send in lieu of the actual document. Then again, my friend Mitzi who just went through the same thing went to the office in Plovdiv, Bulgaria and they printed them off a half sheet of paper with basic info about when Dimitar (her hubby) had been in the army and dates and such...

So I called the NVC in my normal immigration panic where I am half sobbing...I'm not so good with this kind of stress. Anyway I told the girl that the Bulgaria Reciprocity Schedule which is a online resource from the state department that you all probably know about, says this about Military Records from Bulgaria:

"Military Records

Unavailable. The military booklet (voenna knishka) issued to every person who has completed military service may not be sent or taken out of the country. The bearer of such a booklet must surrender it upon application for a passport. No other military records are issued." http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3523.html

I also mentioned that my husband had tried in vain to get some sort of documentation of his military service despite what the reciprocity schedule said and was still denied. She put me on hold and came back saying that yes I was correct, that it does say that military documents are unavailable and that she'd have a supervisor review our case with this information. AND to call them back in 15 days?????? Argh. I asked if she was sure that I would not have to attempt to get some sort of documentation and she said to just call back in 15 days. So I have no clue, again.

I'm really annoyed because if this was not a problem the fact that they had looked at our documents means that they likely would have been sending them to the Embassy soon for Metodi's interview to take place. And it would have possibly worked out for Christmas. I'm also annoyed because IF they do decide I still need the documents that is going to take a lot more time, because we will be waiting for 15 days and then find out, then Metodi will have to travel and find a way to get them, then he will have to send them to me, then I will have to send them to the NVC...then they will have to get to them. But hell, he already tried and they wouldn't give him the damn things so why would it be different this time??? I'm just irritated and angry.

Sigh. Back to work and trying not to cry in frustration. Wish us luck and good hearted NVC workers!

<3 Samantha + Metodi

Hi Sam and Metodi.

I am sorry about what has happened.

I am not an expert here, but here is what I would do if I were you.

While waiting for 15 days....

I will go to Bulgarian Consulate close to you and ask them to write USCIS a letter explaining your situation.

I will print out information regarding the Bulgarian military documents from "credible source" such as consulate's website and prepare them in case you have to respond the RFE.

I will let u know if I could think of more things you may be able to do.

Good Luck

Nao

Past History

10/09/2007: Sent out I-129F

07/31/2008: K1 visa issued

08/05/2008: U.S. entry as a K1 visa holder

09/03/2008: Wedding at the City Hall:)

AOS timeline

09/18/2008: Sent out AOS/EAD/AP via Fedex

09/22/2008: Application received

09/26/2008: Application received Date on NOA1

10/16/2008: Biometrics appointment

10/17/2008: Touch

12/08/2008: Filed a Service Request for EAD (more than 75 days since petition received.)

12/22/2008: Infopass Appointment (Day 91 since EAD application filed)

12/22/2008: EAD approved (card production ordered/Day 91)

12/31/2008: AP received in mail :)

01/02/2009: EAD received in mail :)

01/09/2009: AOS interview letter received in mail :)

02/20/2009: Interview :) => Approved!!!!!

Nao

Thank you. Metodi called the US Consulate in Sofia when I asked him in the beginning to get the military records. He is the one who found the information on the US state department website that said the documents are unavailable after trying in vain to get some sort of documentation from his department of military stuff in Pazardzhik. Then he called the US Embassy to confirm and make sure he didn't need them. They told him that they were not needed for a spouse visa.

I think there must be some miscommunication or the fact they hired some new people at the NVC. I will attempt calling the Bulgarian Embassy in Washington like you suggested but last time I did so only one guy knew English well enough to talk to me and he had no idea about the specifics of immigrating Bulgarians to the US only vice versa. I could email the same guy probably... Additionally the Bulgarian Consulate's "website" is full of a lot of useless information.

I don't plan on waiting 15 days to call the NVC, I plan on calling them daily till they give me an answer. Though I have no clue what to do if they still want military records. As far as Metodi and I can tell, making a copy/translating (If anyone would even translate them!) his military records and attempting to send them out of the country could very likely put him in military prison for 7 years for treason. I suppose I could also attempt to call the US Embassy in Sofia and see if they can give the NVC a clue. Sigh.

Thank you for the suggestions and help.

<3 Samantha + Metodi

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sam and Metodi.

I am sorry about what has happened.

I am not an expert here, but here is what I would do if I were you.

While waiting for 15 days....

I will go to Bulgarian Consulate close to you and ask them to write USCIS a letter explaining your situation.

I will print out information regarding the Bulgarian military documents from "credible source" such as consulate's website and prepare them in case you have to respond the RFE.

I will let u know if I could think of more things you may be able to do.

Good Luck

Nao

Met online May 2006

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

NOA1 2/20/2008

Sam flys to Bulgaria again, this time to spend 2 months with Metodi 5/01/08 - 6/28/08

RFE received in mail for Military Records (that cannot leave the country of Bulgaria!) 11/20/08

NVC finally figures out that their RFE was a mistake and CASE COMPLETE AT NVC 12/08/08

EMBASSY

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Package delivered Nov 04, 2010 SAINT ALBANS, VT to INS . Signed for by D RENAUD.

Nov 10, 2010 - USCIS cashed our check finally: AUTOMATED CHECK VSC FIELD OFFICE PAYMENT 1102 $545.00

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

"Military Records

<3 Samantha + Metodi

Hi Samanta and Metodi

I am from Bulgaria too. The website spesificly says. Military and Police Certificate not available. I believe NVC missed that fact and that`s why they are asking for one. Once you brought to there attention and they did check that you are right which is NOT AVAILABLE they will process everything just fine and won`t ask you to obtain a document that it`s not abtainable unless. So don`t worry, many people don`t obtain this and they are just fine. Your person reviewing the docs is not very familiar with the process but now they now and is gonna be all right. Did you submit Police certificate? I was just curious since it`s an available too.

Don`t worry, they will correct their mistake

Zdrasti Viktoria :)

Thank you for easing my worries. I did not submit a Police Certificate, I submitted a Court Record (Certificate of No Convictions). They did not send me an RFE for the Police Certificate either. I think the mess up happened because Metodi had to put his military experience on the forms but then there were no documents to serve as proof. I hope you are right and that they send our documents through to the Embassy SOON!

I also just finished completing a page for Bulgaria on the VJWiki if you want to look at it and help me with your own experiences. :) It is here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Bulgaria

Nice to meet you and thanks for the kind words!

<3 Samantha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Samanta and Metodi

I am from Bulgaria too. The website spesificly says. Military and Police Certificate not available. I believe NVC missed that fact and that`s why they are asking for one. Once you brought to there attention and they did check that you are right which is NOT AVAILABLE they will process everything just fine and won`t ask you to obtain a document that it`s not abtainable unless. So don`t worry, many people don`t obtain this and they are just fine. Your person reviewing the docs is not very familiar with the process but now they now and is gonna be all right. Did you submit Police certificate? I was just curious since it`s an available too.

Don`t worry, they will correct their mistake

Met online May 2006

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

NOA1 2/20/2008

EMBASSY

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hey, I just logged in to check finish off another topic I had started and I checked the Bulgaria portal ... Wow. I'm really sorry to hear about this!

Viktoria here also told me about that reciprocity web site you mentioned - which of course I didn't know about when I needed it. I was kicking myself that we went to the trouble of obtaining military AND police (but it was probably like you said, actually a court document) records, when neither one is required...

Then I see you got an RFE over the thing posted as unavailable - argh!

You'd think by now they would check whether a document is available or not before generating a stinkin' RFE. Did you send a copy of that web page with your DS-230? If not, I'd send it to them now. Fax it to them even.

It really is so ridiculous that you have to wait for them to remedy their own mistake. It's also a shame that the office in Pazardzhik wouldn't just issue that stupid little piece of paper that states his dates of service. In Smolyan there was a glass case with 5 or 6 little slips to chose from - I couldn't read them so I don't know exactly what they say - but the display case implies that it is a reasonable thing to request.

Anyway, I hope that the NVC folks recognize their error and approve you SOON. Bulgaria is pretty quick ("quick" in USCIS/NVC-speak, meaning "not quick, but quicker than many other countries") so I hope to hear you have an interview date ASAP!!

By the way, good job on the wiki page. I added my tiny bit of insight into the interview.

Before our interview, I tried to add a Bulgaria Embassy Info. page by PM-ing the administrator (Captain Ewok) twice, but I never got a response, so there still isn't one for Bulgaria. (But there is one for Burma, if you were wondering...)

I'm thinking about you and hoping for the best!!

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Conversation Number 2 with the NVC over Bulgarian Military Records

ME: Hi, I was told to call back and see if my RFE about my husband's military records has been resolved.

NVC Operator: The military book is a required document for that country.

ME: No, its not. Its treason to make a copy of that book and mail it out of the country.

ME: My husband went to his military office and tried to get a document, they said there aren't any. We called the US Embassy and they said it wasn't needed. I told the last lady I talked to last time I called here that the RECIPROCITY SCHEDULE for BULGARIA on the DOA website says it is NOT AVAILABLE! So she sent our papers to a supervisor for review. I sent you guys an email with the reciprocity schedule attached and got an asinine reply that didn't address a single bit of information I included.

NVC Operator: Hold on a moment ma'am.

NVC Operator: I'm going to send this to a supervisor...

ME: What? How long am I going to have to wait for this?

NVC Operator: I see that the book is unavailable for Bulgaria. This is probably just a mistake.

ME: That's what the last operator said when I called and then she sent my papers to a SUPERVISOR and here we are. Am I going to have to do the impossible and get this damn book or am I going to wait for eternity for you guys to figure out its UNAVAILABLE. I've been waiting for my husband since FEBRUARY. What am I supposed to do?

NVC Operator: Its okay you won't have to wait 10-15 days this time.

ME: How long then?

NVC Operator: You can call back next week. As soon as I get off the phone with you I am going to take this to a supervisor.

ME: Monday?

NVC Operator: Um, wait till Tuesday.

ME: Okay. Thanks. Sorry.

She hung up on me.

So what I want to know is how the hell can every NVC Operator find the information that says these records are UNAVAILABLE but a SUPERVISOR looked at our papers and said that we still need them?...

Can you demand to talk to a supervisor at the NVC? If this happens again I will see I guess.

Urgh.

<3 Samantha

Met online May 2006

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

NOA1 2/20/2008

EMBASSY

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Just so everyone knows:

I called the Embassy this morning and talked to Arthur (Do you think they make up these names?) and he said: "It looks like military records are not needed for Bulgaria. *DUH* (insert big speil about how they schedule interview dates) Sadly it looks like there were no dates for December due to capacities at your Embassy but we'll be scheduling for January this week so you can call back next monday and find out your interview date if you like."

The NVC ruined Christmas with their pointless RFE. But at least I should get Metodi by the end of January or beginning of February barring some insane interviewer.

In other news I just rented us a two bedroom apartment in Virginia (Where I start my job January 5th) with hardwood floors, a huge kitchen and a deck on a nice quiet street in town. AND wonder of wonders, the World Food store in our town has BULGARIAN food! Whoa. I'll let you guys know how the interview goes. Looks like our POE will be Charlotte, NC. :)

Wish everyone else luck and no pointless RFEs like mine. :)

Happy Holidays,

Samantha

Conversation Number 2 with the NVC over Bulgarian Military Records

ME: Hi, I was told to call back and see if my RFE about my husband's military records has been resolved.

NVC Operator: The military book is a required document for that country.

ME: No, its not. Its treason to make a copy of that book and mail it out of the country.

ME: My husband went to his military office and tried to get a document, they said there aren't any. We called the US Embassy and they said it wasn't needed. I told the last lady I talked to last time I called here that the RECIPROCITY SCHEDULE for BULGARIA on the DOA website says it is NOT AVAILABLE! So she sent our papers to a supervisor for review. I sent you guys an email with the reciprocity schedule attached and got an asinine reply that didn't address a single bit of information I included.

NVC Operator: Hold on a moment ma'am.

NVC Operator: I'm going to send this to a supervisor...

ME: What? How long am I going to have to wait for this?

NVC Operator: I see that the book is unavailable for Bulgaria. This is probably just a mistake.

ME: That's what the last operator said when I called and then she sent my papers to a SUPERVISOR and here we are. Am I going to have to do the impossible and get this damn book or am I going to wait for eternity for you guys to figure out its UNAVAILABLE. I've been waiting for my husband since FEBRUARY. What am I supposed to do?

NVC Operator: Its okay you won't have to wait 10-15 days this time.

ME: How long then?

NVC Operator: You can call back next week. As soon as I get off the phone with you I am going to take this to a supervisor.

ME: Monday?

NVC Operator: Um, wait till Tuesday.

ME: Okay. Thanks. Sorry.

She hung up on me.

So what I want to know is how the hell can every NVC Operator find the information that says these records are UNAVAILABLE but a SUPERVISOR looked at our papers and said that we still need them?...

Can you demand to talk to a supervisor at the NVC? If this happens again I will see I guess.

Urgh.

<3 Samantha

Met online May 2006

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

NOA1 2/20/2008

EMBASSY

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.