79 posts in this topic

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
JA2CT...it is oh soo terrible the suffering that goes on in Haiti

It breaks my heart. I met this guy in Miami a couple years ago and he reignited my interest in the area but I haven't really done as much as I'd like yet. I met a family in Bridgeport last year and they said that there is a sizable Haitian pop. in that area, I'm going to try to contact them again to get something going.

There is a huge Haitian population in this area - Here is a great charity that my Dad was involved with - http://haitippt.org/Welcome.html

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline
Sol..good idea

Sol...is Secretary

ok ideas so far:

An essay competiton

Pick a child from each community per yr

chose a child from an orphange

a reading program of some kind

I think a reading program is good and maybe when can start one in each community. If we can raise the money for shipping etc I would love to collect the books. Whatever we decide I am down for assisting where I can.

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I like the idea of a reading program too. Would the books be sent to local libraries in each parish/town, or would they be sent to schools?

I wish I had the money and resources to do it all.

One thing I've been thinking about for a while is paying school and book fees for a child per school year. It's hard enough to get the money to come up with uniforms, let alone the cost of books. For my niece it cost $19,000JA for the books. She still had to have other supplies (backpack/paper and pencil/uniform and shoes/etc).

I'm torn on making a decision because if we do something like a reading program then the whole community benefits, but I know there are so many families who need the financial help to send their children to school too :(.

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline
OK, where are my ladies? I'm trying to get everyone logged on at the same time so we can try and iron out some of the issues with out charity.

we need to figure who will hold officer positions

how will we meet..(do we schedule monthly "meetings")

What will we name our charity...and the frequency of our gift

what are some ways we can raise funds

come ladies lets do it

I'd love to hold a title position but my schedule is so crazy right now - put me down as an assistant (if anyone needs help I can step up)/floater.

My schedule is tight Mon-Thurs so for me the best time to meet would be Fri (after 4pm pacific time) and on weekends. I think meetings twice a month while in the planning phase would be good (every other week) - we all have our various commitments and families.

Name of charity...good one. Still thinking about that.

Raising funds...another one to think about. I know that in regard to donations such as books, the libraries here donate all the time and hold mini-sales where the cost of books are as low as .10 per copy. Once we decide what we're going to do then I think it'll be easier to figure out how to raise donations and such.

Edited by Jonesie

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I totally understand J...it's a tough job..mi no know wah mi a do cause mi already have 2 pickney :)..but i'm ready...u guys have very ideas..

I really do like the each child thing..we can actually track progress? maybe when this charity hits the floor we can extend it to include school fee..but I think we can raise money for uniforms, books, school supplies? and yes I like the idea of a child from each community..maybe we can do 1 per yr until we get this thing really going?

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
:) Ryon

I was actually looking to contribute something from us yearly as best we can..doesn't have to be anything big...I want to expand it more than just VJ participation

Umm..Tuesday at 10 may not work for me personally...the internet police is back :)..I can usually log in btwn 12-2 mon-friday..at night on weekends..

I want to start our own fund and pass it on to maybe a child in an orphange or something..i'm sure they need help with uniforms and shoes and books and such...lets me real..we maynot be able to do much more than that until God's willing our charity gets bigger

will Tuesday at 12 NOON work for everyone???

love.jpg

Timeline
It's great to see everyone interested in getting involved :thumbs: . I've taken an interest into doing something for the Haitians. I've been researchng this site: Yele Haiti

Some of the latest news: Children dying in Haiti, victims of food crisis :cry:

Kimmy I am willing to do research or secretarial duties. What about something the encourages reading or literacy for children? I love reading. I also feel like if you can read and have access to books that the world can be yours and there is nothing you can't obtain. Garth told me Jamaicans don't like to read...lol I don't know how true that is but I was just telling him that is unfortunate because books give you knowledge they also open the world to you. Just a thought.

Sol, i am a reader myself. I love to share what i am reading with others. The reading idea sounds promising.

I would like to be responsible for shipping the items to JA charity-to-be.

love.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

All wonderful ideas :D I am an avid reader and would love to do a reading program type of thing. I also think that buying school books/fees is a great idea as well. We should probably start small and hopefully get bigger as time passes.

I am up for helping in anyway that I am needed.

Noon EST? So that would be 9am on the west coast...I will be at work but it shouldn't be a problem. I know Jonesie won't be able to make it though.

Timeline
All wonderful ideas :D I am an avid reader and would love to do a reading program type of thing. I also think that buying school books/fees is a great idea as well. We should probably start small and hopefully get bigger as time passes.

I am up for helping in anyway that I am needed.

Noon EST? So that would be 9am on the west coast...I will be at work but it shouldn't be a problem. I know Jonesie won't be able to make it though.

Thanks Yaads - I won't be able to make it. Please someone sum everything up for me so I can check in during my lunch (11:30 pacific/2:30 eastern) to see what I missed.

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Hey ladies, I know we might be talking about doing this meeting durning the working hours, but won't we be more productive if we can chooe a time that might work for all the time zones. I will be able to work with any time zone as long as my wireless wii is working from Jamaica.

I do agree we should start small, and progess as time goes on and more VJ join the project to something bigger.

I don't have a problem with being an officer or maybe a project lead.

Timeline
So would this be meeting here on VJ and just all posting together or trying to get together on a chat system of some sort?

I think if we do it in a chat room we can get more accomplished as far as the meetings are concerned.

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

So. does anyone have the capability to set up such a chat room for this project? That would be most helpful, and we can start by setting up a meeting date/time for that chat room. Kimmy do you agree with this?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.